PDA

View Full Version : Painting letters

kcc2012
04-03-2014, 12:37 PM
I have been working on a big sign for a preschool which is very basic just letters but I'm having trouble with painting the letters (might just be impatience). Is there a quicker way of painting the letters. I'm doing this all by hand with a brush and not really sure of what I'm doing. It's taken 4 coats so far to get a decent coverage. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/ydejana4.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/04/enadyput.jpg

Digitalwoodshop
04-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I use a small Medical Syringe, the kind that you give kids oral cough syrup as it is all plastic and no rubber stopper. Use the tip to push the paint around and it self levels. Get too much... use another to suck it up...

I also put my paint in Ketchup Bottles to preserve it, no skin... and easy to fill the syringe.

AL

dltccf
04-03-2014, 01:05 PM
On raised letters like that I always paint from back to front and I paint the background color up the sides of the feather. When you paint the front color stroke towards the edge and you can get an even edge that way. Also using a foam brush or a small roller with almost no nap helps/

dave

mtylerfl
04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
I think those are recessed letters, Dave.

mtylerfl
04-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I have been working on a big sign for a preschool which is very basic just letters but I'm having trouble with painting the letters (might just be impatience). Is there a quicker way of painting the letters. I'm doing this all by hand with a brush and not really sure of what I'm doing. It's taken 4 coats so far to get a decent coverage.

I posted my technique years ago for this type of "look" ...lemme see if I can do a search and find the link...

Found it! http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14996-Odyssey-Signs-for-Camp

The letters were raised, but the principle is exactly the same for recessed letters. Paint the entire board first in one color...use a short nap roller for the contrasting color after the first one is dry.

cestout
04-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Any have a good way to paint Centerline lettering leaving the wood grain on the body? Only way I know is to spray paint the letters then sand the paint off the surface.
Clint

gsdsj
04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
I use sticky shelving paper before the carve, spray the letters and sand off any bleed thru. Greg

FWMiller
04-03-2014, 08:27 PM
I use OraMASK 813 Stencil Film. It's made for sign making. You can put it on the bare wood, carve, paint the carved areas and then peel off. You can also put it on top of a painted piece, carve and then peel off. Doesn't leave any residue.

SteveNelson46
04-03-2014, 08:45 PM
I use OraMASK 813 Stencil Film. It's made for sign making. You can put it on the bare wood, carve, paint the carved areas and then peel off. You can also put it on top of a painted piece, carve and then peel off. Doesn't leave any residue.

This sounds like a really interesting product so I think I'll try it. I did a Google search and Amazon has it for $25.99. Thanks for the info.

FWMiller
04-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Also check signwarehouse.com. If I remember correctly they had cheaper pricing and more selection of roll sizes when I ordered.

unitedcases
04-03-2014, 09:14 PM
I just ordered some. Can't wait to try it out.

Capt Bruce
04-04-2014, 06:14 AM
I posted my technique years ago for this type of "look" ...lemme see if I can do a search and find the link...

Found it! http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?14996-Odyssey-Signs-for-Camp

Thanks for that quick trip down memory lane Michael. Once again you've reminded me how much I depend upon you and all our sharing Forum members here to learn techniques you have all developed to get the job done quickly with a minimum number of mistakes. I love being able to work smarter, not harder and it's only because of all of you. My sincere thanks.

cestout
04-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I guess my problem was that I was carving cedar fence boards and used wide masking tape.
Thanks for the info.
Clint

kcc2012
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Looking at what yall are saying I should have asked this question before I did the carving but as usual I don't always think it through first and jump head strong into a project just to find out I'm not really equipped to do it.