PDA

View Full Version : My first probelm

scootertrash
04-02-2014, 04:16 PM
`I have a brand new CX with a little over 2 hours on it. All bits and such are standard CW hardware. Carvetight chuck. Went through all of the setup steps per the video and other things I've read here. Latest firmware.

My first carve went great during carving but when it asked for the 1/8th cutting bit it complained that it wasn't the correct length. I reseated it a few ties and no dice. Finally i said the heck with it and pressed continue and it made a cutout around my project - but a little deep. maybe 1/16" too deep. The tabs were so thin the piece fell out of the board.

So here I am doing my second carve, just the 1/16 carving bit, and no matter what I do it's yelling that the bit length is wrong. I said the heck with it pressed continue, and it's carving a little deep.

I blew out the chuck, blew off the bit, blew the heck out of the machine with low pressure air. The bit is as seated as it gets.

Any ideas? I know these machines are a little cranky but I'm in IT and like cranky hardware. Makes life interesting.

-Scooter

Bigtyme
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
I have had that happen a few times as well. If it happens, it is usually after the bit has gone through the initial seating process and then during a carve when it asks for it to be actually used, it may give me a message about the length. I chalk it up to my seating of the bit initially and just push continue and move on. I then try to be more careful when seating the bit initially...

fwharris
04-02-2014, 06:16 PM
I have had the same thing with 2.xxx with the same bit during the start up check. It must have something to do with the bit tolerances they have programed in.

On the cut out tabs, I try to stay away from the 1/16 and 1/8 tab heights as they usually break.

bergerud
04-02-2014, 06:42 PM
What version of Designer are you running? Is the bit plate horizontal or is it bent up a little?

RMarkey
04-02-2014, 06:44 PM
In most cases, it doesn't matter where the machine finds the bit position (the bit plate). The error occurs when the difference is greater than 0.050" or so from the previous test. It is a reminder that you may not have put the bit in correctly. Continuing will use the newly calculated value.

If it's going too deep, run a depth calibration test and make sure the bit is not slipping within the pressed-on adapter. (and that it hasn't slipped inside the chuck).

mtylerfl
04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
On the cut out tabs, I try to stay away from the 1/16 and 1/8 tab heights as they usually break.

Yes, indeed...I set all the cutout tabs on the POM's at 3/16" thick for that very reason.

fwharris
04-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Yes, indeed...I set all the cutout tabs on the POM's at 3/16" thick for that very reason.

And we thank you! :D

bergerud
04-02-2014, 07:04 PM
In most cases, it doesn't matter where the machine finds the bit position (the bit plate). The error occurs when the difference is greater than 0.050" or so from the previous test. It is a reminder that you may not have put the bit in correctly. Continuing will use the newly calculated value.

So here I am doing my second carve, just the 1/16 carving bit, and no matter what I do it's yelling that the bit length is wrong. I said the heck with it pressed continue, and it's carving a little deep.
-Scooter

How to explain this? Only one bit measured once?

liquidguitars
04-02-2014, 08:24 PM
How to explain this? Only one bit measured once?

That's a good indicator at times that the truck is loose.

scootertrash
04-03-2014, 09:43 AM
First, thanks to all for the replies.

"slipping within the pressed on adapter" - Uh, what pressed on adapter? You mean the collar thingamawhatzit on the bit? I'm not pressing on any adapter myself.

mtylerfl
04-03-2014, 10:30 AM
First, thanks to all for the replies.

"slipping within the pressed on adapter" - Uh, what pressed on adapter? You mean the collar thingamawhatzit on the bit? I'm not pressing on any adapter myself.

Please read the following document. It has photos and explanations about the pressed on adapters, etc.

ISSUE 29 April 2010 – Announcing the CarveTight (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Apr10.pdf)

scootertrash
04-04-2014, 11:09 AM
(Elvis voice)
Thankyouthankyouverymuch

/uh huhhh