PDA

View Full Version : Another Table Project

ronboley
04-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Here I go again....another table project. With the dinning room table and chairs behind me, I was encouraged to go on and tackle a whole new piece. This is a 4'x6' "craft" table for my wife's craft room. Hopefully ($$$$) the top will be marble (smoothest and flattest stuff I can think of) to sit on top of a heavy duty sort of farm table leg and stretcher system. Of course this being a "craft" table, every piece is to be carved with uh something. The legs will be 8 segment built up hexagons sitting on round disks. The table will have perimeter skirts, end stretchers and a center stretcher in the long direction. The material is 1-3/4" poplar. I'll post pictures as I go, Here's a few carved pieces. Did the long ones first and now working on the short pieces for the legs.

Still learning an awful lot on this project as well.

Oh sorry, still can't seem to figure out how to post pictures right side up....

SharonB
04-01-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow! That is impressive. Can't wait to see pictures of the table put together. I really like the design(s) you chose....did you make the patterns or are they available for purchase?

tcough3475
04-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Neat project and looking forward to watching you make it.

DocWheeler
04-01-2014, 01:53 PM
Ron, you have done some impressive carving (and design).

ronboley
04-01-2014, 05:42 PM
SharonB: some of the patterns are just standard CW, a couple off of the forum and the rest are my wife's craft tools that I attached to a scan sled and scanned in...the scissors, pliers, spools, paint bottles, and paint brushes...the paint brushes were a challenge to get the bristles ...I had to sacrifice a couple by dipping the bristles in watered down glue, let it dry and harden then scan...lots of fun...I'll share the mpc's for those here when I can organize them.

lynnfrwd
04-01-2014, 05:57 PM
SharonB: some of the patterns are just standard CW, a couple off of the forum and the rest are my wife's craft tools that I attached to a scan sled and scanned in...the scissors, pliers, spools, paint bottles, and paint brushes...the paint brushes were a challenge to get the bristles ...I had to sacrifice a couple by dipping the bristles in watered down glue, let it dry and harden then scan...lots of fun...I'll share the mpc's for those here when I can organize them.

Awesome idea for the brushes, but it seems like that might be a good Pattern Modeling project.

ronboley
04-06-2014, 03:52 PM
As promised...here's the scanned patterns for the craft table objects. The rest of the objects I used were just the standard lettering, back ground pattern, etc...that came with the CW. Still carving...

mtylerfl
04-06-2014, 04:12 PM
That is very generous. Thank you.

ronboley
04-06-2014, 04:17 PM
Here's photos of the leg pieces and the table saw jig to cut them at the proper angle. The four legs will be eight sided...so eight different carved pieces per leg.

mtylerfl
04-06-2014, 04:26 PM
The photos are all PDF files for some reason, instead of a "regular" photo format (jpg, bmp, png)

EDIT: the leg jig photo is fine...it's a jpg and displays as expected

DickB
04-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Nice work! I like seeing projects in progress and techniques such as your jig.

ronboley
04-11-2014, 09:02 PM
The four table legs are now assembled. Next cut the tendons in the stretchers, miter the skirts and assemble the table framework...then finish work, finish work, finish wor....

Dale
04-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Wow, those came out nice!

swaggerstick
04-12-2014, 05:49 AM
Does this help Ron?

ronboley
04-13-2014, 08:09 PM
The craft table frame is assembled and ready for final sanding and finish...

SharonB
04-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Wow! The table is turning out great. The legs are certainly different and really sets the whole design off. Bet it take six men and a boy to move it around.

mtylerfl
04-13-2014, 08:25 PM
That is simply outstanding...best craft table ever!

CW-HAL9000
04-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Wow, that is the king of craft tables.

Foggycarver
04-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Wow ! Now my wife will want one. Well done.

SteveNelson46
04-14-2014, 04:44 AM
That belongs in a museum or the Smithsonian. It's the best craft table I have ever seen.

ronboley
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
The craft table is done. There are about 70+ hours of carving time in the various 40 or so pieces. Most of the images were scanned in with the scan probe and arranged in the "scenes" with lettering and patterning from the standard CW 1.187 designer software. The poplar was sanded, primed and painted "Old Brick" undercoat and a dark green overcoat. The undercoat is exposed (distressed) in wear locations with 500 sandpaper and then everything coated with a water based satin polyurethane. I had hoped for a marble top, but $$$$ was way too high so the top ended up two layers of 3/4" MDF, granite look Formica and hard wood edges. The table is heavy, about 300 lbs or so. Two layers of felt on the bottom of the legs allows the table to be moved on the wood floor with some effort.

Still can't figure out how to keep those darn pictures right side up though.

DocWheeler
04-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Ron,

The pictures are of low resolution and do not look good when enlarged.
I turned then over, but it would be better if you supplied larger images.

Otherwise, very nice work.

zan29
04-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Wow, wow and more wows! That is one awesome table. Very very nice work!

TerryT
04-29-2014, 07:00 PM

Oh, I was wondering why it was on the ceiling! LOL

henry1
04-29-2014, 07:07 PM
Wow that some table gorgeous , you will keep that one foe a while heirloom

SteveNelson46
04-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Awesome table even though you made it upside down.

henry1
04-29-2014, 07:52 PM
The craft table is done. There are about 70+ hours of carving time in the various 40 or so pieces. Most of the images were scanned in with the scan probe and arranged in the "scenes" with lettering and patterning from the standard CW 1.187 designer software. The poplar was sanded, primed and painted "Old Brick" undercoat and a dark green overcoat. The undercoat is exposed (distressed) in wear locations with 500 sandpaper and then everything coated with a water based satin polyurethane. I had hoped for a marble top, but $$$$ was way too high so the top ended up two layers of 3/4" MDF, granite look Formica and hard wood edges. The table is heavy, about 300 lbs or so. Two layers of felt on the bottom of the legs allows the table to be moved on the wood floor with some effort.

Here the picture right side up

henry1
04-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Awesome table even though you made it upside down.
Go here steve
https://plus.google.com/u/0/ this is were I seen the tulip I thought it was you lol

SharonB
04-30-2014, 12:28 AM
So glad you posted a picture of the finished table. If I had the room for something that big I'd drive right over and pick it up....:)

rcdages
04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Henry,

Quite the table.

Smoken D
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Fantastic job on the table! I cannot imagine how you flipped it over to take the photo with the legs on the floor :D. Now is that a sewing/cutting table for the wife? Beautiful green!

Dan-Woodman
04-30-2014, 10:30 AM
That would make a good Pool Table. add some pockets and felt, maybe even a ball return underneith.