PDA

View Full Version : How to carve on a hammer handle

kcc2012
03-31-2014, 04:12 PM
I just received a request to carve a saying on a hammer handle for a couples 5th wedding anniversary it will say "Building memories together since 2009". I am assuming that I will be using a v-bit to accomplish the carving outside of that I really don't know how to begin to tackle this project. Any advice would be appreciated.

Ambrose

mtylerfl
03-31-2014, 04:19 PM
One possibility...You could scan the hammer with the scanning probe to make a PTN of the profile of the hammer handle, then load that PTN in a project layout and use Centerline Text as well as the Conform feature to carve lettering on the hammer. You would need to build a jig/sled to place the hammer securely into, and also be attentive to placement of your virtual hammer (in the project board layout) in relation to the real board (jig) you've placed the hammer into.

Another possibility...carve the lettering by hand with hand chisels. Might be easier.;)

ronboley
03-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Another possibility...build a simple sled...1/4" ply or mdf bottom and 1-1/2" side rails and end filler pieces the height of the hammer handle thickness. attach the hammer handle to the sled bottom with double stick tape, hot glue etc...in the center of the sled both ways and with the handle along the x axis...and rotated 180 (from the designer view) in the machine...put masking tape across the sled rails for the measurement sensors to be fooled....set up your virtual board bigger than the handle and design your lettering, placing it on the handle where you want it....centered on the virtual board with the virtual handle placed so the lettering is also centered on the virtual board...then carve with "center on board"....

Downside...if the handle varies in thickness you will have to chair it up as best you can with scrap material and the lettering depth will vary as it's carving to a level surface that's not really level...

Best results would be as mytylerfl said...scan the handle in as a pattern (scan probe, pattern editor software and scan sled build), add the lettering and conform it to the hammer profile, build a carving sled, carve away...being very careful to set up the virtual board/handle to match the real handle/sled placement and orientation...

Better yet use a pantograph lettering set up with a V carving tool...no I don't have one either...I've been thinking of modifying my antique Leroy ink lettering guide set with my Fordum carving tool or Dremill to directly letter carve on wood or stone...some day...

good luck

Capt Bruce
03-31-2014, 06:28 PM
I realize this not a CW method but to do 15 knife handles I found it cheaper in the end to have a shop with an Epilog Laser do the lettering.

fwharris
03-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Probably not what they really want, but why not carve the full hammer..

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4799&d=1185765060

SteveNelson46
04-01-2014, 12:14 AM
Probably not what they really want, but why not carve the full hammer..

http://forum.carvewright.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4799&d=1185765060

If you are really ambitious you could re-create the hammer handle as a rotary carve and place text on it.

cnsranch
04-01-2014, 08:38 AM
If you are really ambitious you could re-create the hammer handle as a rotary carve and place text on it.

Don't really need the rotary jig - something as simple as that, with identical sides, can be carved as a two-sided carve.

Someday LHR will allow us to scan a surface and make that the "board surface" in designer. then, we can add text, etc. to the surface.

Carving on a hammer handle poses exactly the same problems as carving on a gun stock. Can't be done without a lot of luck, and messing up a gun stock can be very expensive.

I'd make the handle a two-sided carve.

kcc2012
04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
From what yall are saying it looks like quite a bit of work that I'm not really cut out to do, one day hopefully but not yet. I'm trying to get a pantograph which would be perfect for this but I haven't been able to acquire it yet also an engraver. My first thought was to carve the whole hammer but the customer wants to use an actual hammer I'm hoping to change her mind.

A couple of you mentioned an Epilog Laser do you know of a service I could suggest to her?

Thanks for the help.
Ambrose

brdad
04-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Alternatively you can just transfer the text to the hammer either by stencil, rub on transfers or just having someone who writes well just write it on by hand, and then carve the letters out by hand with a Dremel and an engraving bit. Then you can paint it in and sand off the edges and finish just as if it was centerline.

There's no tool that is great for every job.

Capt Bruce
04-07-2014, 03:25 PM
KCC2012,

Don't know where you are based (Hint, hint to add to your header info) but in the Atlanta metro area I found four different shops that do one-off or multiple laser engraved items just by doing a Google search. Usually a phrase like "laser engraving town name" works in the search. The businesses ranged from an Epilog dealer, a frame shop, printing shops and an individual user at his home. I set up a business relationship with the last one and we now refer work to each other keeping our customers happy.

kcc2012
04-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Thank you Capt Bruce I live in Kodiak, Alaska. I just goggled your tips for Alaska and found two companies in Anchorage I will refer this customer to them. Now on to my profile to add my location to my header.

Ambrose