PDA

View Full Version : Some More Rotary Projects

bergerud
03-30-2014, 05:31 PM
I though I would try carving logs. Here is my first one. The wood is local yew. "Honey, it is Yew".

ladjr
03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Wow, that is great. It looks like you didn't even remove the bark. I was thinking about it because I have a lot of logs. Nice carve and thanks for sharing.

Bigtyme
03-30-2014, 05:35 PM
Nice work, Dan. I just showed your post pictures to my brother-in-law and his only comment was, "I guess that settles it. When are you ordering yours?" :)

ladjr
03-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Nice work, Dan. I just showed your post pictures to my brother-in-law and his only comment was, "I guess that settles it. When are you ordering yours?" :)

A machine or the girl.

Foggycarver
03-30-2014, 05:44 PM

I now want one too :)

Bigtyme
03-30-2014, 05:53 PM
The machine, for sure (as my bride looks over my shoulder)... :)

bergerud
03-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Here is another log off the machine. This one did not go so well. I had it setup for the 1/16" deep carving bit but 20 min in it started to dig in. It seemed that the 1/16" deep bit likes to "get under" the grain. Going with the grain seems risky. So, I switched it for the 1/8" deep bit to do the rest of the carve. Unfortunately, bit optimization was set for the 1/16" bit and so much got over carved. This one is going to need some more work.

See the marks left from the 1/16" bit going astray on the last picture. I tried it a few times to try and see what was happening.

henry1
03-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Here is another log off the machine. This one did not go so well. I had it setup for the 1/16" deep carving bit but 20 min in it started to dig in. It seemed that the 1/16" deep bit likes to "get under" the grain. Going with the grain seems risky. So, I switched it for the 1/8" deep bit to do the rest of the carve. Unfortunately, bit optimization was set for the 1/16" bit and so much got over carved. This one is going to need some more work.

See the marks left from the 1/16" bit going astray on the last picture. I tried it a few times to try and see what was happening.
you been busy those carve are wow make me want one now

fwharris
03-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Yew been busting out some real nice work Dan! :wink:

bergerud
03-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Yew been busting out some real nice work Dan! :wink:

Good one. Just playing. How is your rotary jig coming? Any carves yet?

fwharris
03-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Good one. Just playing. How is your rotary jig coming? Any carves yet?

I've done one carve, Brian's deer call. Very impressed with the full system..

bergerud
03-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Cool. It really is a lot of fun. Many new things to do.

jackh
05-03-2014, 01:29 PM
bergerud, where are you getting the patterns for these rotary carvings?

aokweld101
05-03-2014, 02:01 PM
Dan, outstanding work I only have to get the rotary jig and program and I'll have it all, my wife and I are going to Ohio at the end of this month when we get back I'm getting one !!!

bergerud
05-03-2014, 02:11 PM
bergerud, where are you getting the patterns for these rotary carvings?

Some I make from mathematical formulas, some I make in other 3d graphics programs, some I find on the web, and some I make in Designer.

jackh
05-03-2014, 04:55 PM
bergerud, is your name Dan?
Would you care to share with the rest of us where "kissing pair" for example came from? Would you care to dole for us the web sites from which you get the models? Perhaps a hint of the 3D graphics programs that you use?
Thank you Jack

bergerud
05-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Dan I am. The figures I carve are created in a free program called Daz 3D Studio. It is a program people use to make 3d human figures and scenes. From it you can export 3d meshes in .obj format. Import into another program like Meshlab, for example, and export as .stl. then import into Designer. Lots of the stuff is free. Many users make and sell textures and accessories. We only need the meshes.

eelamb
05-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Nice ones Floyd. Since you are showing the calls, I will show the turkey head striker I designed for Brian. (last Image is what Floyd sent me from the stl files I created) The head was done in ZBrush, striker done in Moi3D, and assembled centered on striker in silo 3d, and made into an STL using blender. (blender is much better at converting OBJ files to STL files)
This has not been carved yet, but getting close to carving it.

Foggycarver
05-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Nice ones Floyd. Since you are showing the calls, I will show the turkey head striker I designed for Brian. (last Image is what Floyd sent me from the stl files I created) The head was done in ZBrush, striker done in Moi3D, and assembled centered on striker in silo 3d, and made into an STL using blender. (blender is much better at converting OBJ files to STL files)
This has not been carved yet, but getting close to carving it.

Yes, that is a great job, a very unique striker. I can't wait to carve it soon.

fwharris
05-03-2014, 07:48 PM
Eddie,

I had the easy part, you did all of the hard work on the model! We did discover something though about the STL importer and the centering of the model. Eddie made a 3D model (STL) and centered it on the striker length but when imported into the stl it shifted the center to the full model. This made the carve offset in the rotary software and un carve able. Eddie had to unwrap it to get it to work properly.

papawbummie
05-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Ed is that turkey striker pattern for sale? Thanks Bert

eelamb
05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
It will not be for sale, it is being commissioned by Brian, so only he will have the rights to the patterns.

papawbummie
05-03-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks Bert

eelamb
05-04-2014, 07:31 AM
What Floyd is referring to is if a model for the rotary jig is wider on one side versus the other such as a head like the turkey. STL importer calculates the center from the widest part. In this case the widest part is wrong, for the striker stick will be offset from the calculated center. STL importer needs to have another adjustment bar allowing you to offset the center line for the rotary jig. See image below. I got around this by rotating the model, which was also a good idea since it placed the seam on the back of the head. But I can see where calculating the center by either side will not be right, and the offset bar would be needed.

bergerud
05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I have noticed this before. One can chose to move the center but only by rotating the ray which determines where the carve starts and ends. It seems that one cannot independently choose a new center and a new start angle. It looks to me like the problem is that the ray does not rotate about the new center but remembers the initial center and rotates about that. Because of this, the new center moves when the ray swings around. I should have reported this before.

fwharris
05-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Dan,

Thanks for confirming this. I did spend a good bit of time trying to move the center in the importer but finally figured out that it could not be done (or I could not figure out how). Hopefully this can be added to the fix list.

eelamb
05-04-2014, 11:41 AM
I did notice on the second page, I could move it some, but not as much as I wanted, even though there seemed to be much more slider bar available.

eelamb
05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Bert here is a fast one I made up, thought you may like it. It is a striker with a shotgun shell as the handle.

papawbummie
05-10-2014, 08:57 PM
Thanks very much Ed. Just got back from hunting trip Used my homemade call to get a couple. All ways looking for different looking designs Thanks you very much Bert

solitaryhunter
10-09-2016, 05:43 PM
I recently got my jig and cant find any patterns i want.. looking for a baseball bat so i can also put my teams name on it,

plus i wanted to download your bust file (thanks for sharing) but i dont have permissions to downlload or even click on a thumbnail......

dltccf
10-12-2016, 05:16 PM
I recently got my jig and cant find any patterns i want.. looking for a baseball bat so i can also put my teams name on it,

plus i wanted to download your bust file (thanks for sharing) but i dont have permissions to downlload or even click on a thumbnail......

Here is a baseball bat I whipped up in 5 minutes, you can modify it to suit.

dave

zan29
10-12-2016, 06:06 PM
Very nice Dan........hummm very sexy too! ;)

solitaryhunter
10-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Here is a baseball bat I whipped up in 5 minutes, you can modify it to suit.

dave

thank you! just what i was looking for

New Posts (http://forum.carvewright.com/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post)