PDA

View Full Version : Surveyor Clock

Bigtyme
03-30-2014, 10:11 AM
When I passed my state exams and became licensed as a Professional Surveyor almost 30 years ago, one of the ladies at our office gave me a cartoon. I have hung on to it over the years and it still makes me smile. I met a another surveyor earlier this year and he also had received the cartoon. He thought it would make a great clock and he ordered a few. With Ed Lamb and Floyd's help, they were able to make the cartoon into patterns. I carved a couple of the clocks and sent them to my surveyor customer and he just sent me a note that he really likes them. About every surveyor would understand the frames, but see if you do too. It is pretty typical for any of us to think the grass is greener, but as most of us know, it usually isn't...

Capt Bruce
03-30-2014, 11:35 AM
I like the clock you developed John and as a USN Civil Engineer Corps officer and a Seabee in a fomer life I can relate to each of the survey workers thinking the other guy always has the better job. Thanks for the reminder, now that I have the best job of all of them as a retiree, and again nice work on the clocks!

Digitalwoodshop
03-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Nice work on the Clock. I worked with a Surveyor on weekends in High School. In my last 4 years in the Navy we used Surveyor Equipment to measure and align the radars and guns on ships. We would start at midnight when the ship was cool. At sun up you could see the readings move as the metal expanded...

Nice,

AL

Bigtyme
03-30-2014, 12:27 PM
I believe we have all seen tremendous changes in how things are done over the last number of years and surveying sure has. My crew guys today wouldn't know which end of a plumb bob to use, but then again some of the technology is pretty cool. I type that as I am sitting in my study drinking a pop and listening to my CW carve its next project over a sound monitor. I check it about every half hour or when the bit need to be changed. Big basketball on today so I got all me stock ready this morning and will be carving all day. Maybe its ok that plumb bobs are a thing of the past :)

Capt Bruce
03-30-2014, 01:37 PM
"Maybe its ok that plumb bobs are a thing of the past :smile:"

I get the same feeling each time I use my iPhone with the Stanley LEVEL application to check a surface for horizontal or plumb a post. Much more accurate than I could hope to be with a spirit level. WE keep on learning and adapting.

fwharris
03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
John,

The carve came out great! I only had a small easy part in helping Eddie make these. I just converted the DXF files, he did all of the hard stuff..

Bigtyme
03-30-2014, 01:54 PM
I agree that Ed did the heavy lifting and I appreciate it very much, but it wouldn't have come together without your help too, which I appreciate as well.....

fwharris
03-30-2014, 02:35 PM
I agree that Ed did the heavy lifting and I appreciate it very much, but it wouldn't have come together without your help too, which I appreciate as well.....

John,

Thanks! Always glad to help out!

SteveNelson46
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Certainly different. Great idea and it came out really nice.

eelamb
03-30-2014, 06:13 PM
John it was a struggle, but we got it done for the customer. Clock came out great, you did it justice. Now you need a lot more orders on this one.

Smoken D
03-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Worked with the Corps of Engineers back in the late 60's on a survey team. I could do it with that equipment, but don't think I would have a chance with today's.:confused: Great clock and how I loved that job and being outside all year long:D

Bigtyme
03-30-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Ed. It sure was a struggle, but I do have a happy customer and maybe he can help me find me a dozen more... Couldn't have done it without your help...