PDA

View Full Version : Wood spirits

Foggycarver
03-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm thinking my first rotary carve may be a cane. Does anyone have a pattern to share that's a wood spirit ? Something like an old man with a long beard.

eelamb
03-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Do a search, there has been many posted here.

bergerud
03-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Search "wood spirit" on the forum and you will find some stuff.

fwharris
03-27-2014, 09:54 PM
Also browse through these http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?21181-Pattern-Sharing-Depot-Attachment-List&p=182823#post182823

listed in alphabetical order once they pop up.. long list

also search on "tree man"

ladjr
03-28-2014, 12:28 AM
I have made several canes. I posted one the other day. Which rotary jig do you have and what did you want to put on it. Send me a PM and I will be happy help you

bjbethke
03-28-2014, 01:03 AM
I'm thinking my first rotary carve may be a cane. Does anyone have a pattern to share that's a wood spirit ? Something like an old man with a long beard.

Will this Topper work? - I sent you a "PM"

Gary Koval
03-28-2014, 06:20 AM
On a lighter note: After seeing pictures of Floyd, (FWHARRIS), perhaps we can have him model, not that he is old or anything... Just kidding Floyd.
Gary

fwharris
03-28-2014, 10:13 AM
On a lighter note: After seeing pictures of Floyd, (FWHARRIS), perhaps we can have him model, not that he is old or anything... Just kidding Floyd.
Gary

Gary,

Some say I do have a bit of that spirit in me ;)! John Paluck has come very close with a model just to let you know!

Capt Bruce
03-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Gary

I kidded Floyd last week that I spotted one of his "modeling career highlights" while wandering through Wal-Mart last week. I didn't realize he has a line of custom carved eyeglass frames in addition to his other products.

Foggycarver
03-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Will this Topper work? - I sent you a "PM"

Yes that will work. I am alil confused how does this carve? Is this just two views or two pieces that will be put together?

bergerud
03-28-2014, 09:34 PM
I do not think that will work. You need a 3D stl model, not two views. (I suppose you could use the front view.)

eelamb
03-28-2014, 11:01 PM
While we are on the subject, I made these tonight. Which one do you like best #1 or #2. Found this image on the internet.

Foggycarver, you need either a 3d (not 2.5D) for the rotary or just a front view to wrap around the round stock. If you size it right it will wrap almost completely around giving the 3d look on the round dowel.

See I am repeating what Dan said.

CW-HAL9000
03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
I like the detail in 2, wondering if carved would show that amount of detail. Are the pics from designer? Either way very nice job.

bergerud
03-29-2014, 12:12 AM
I think that will work pretty well Eddie. Nice one.

Foggycarver
03-29-2014, 12:24 AM
I think that will work pretty well Eddie. Nice one.

Yes it does look great. Dan I'm almost finished with the adapter for a 1"x8 tpi for the rotary jig. Pretty soon a collet chuck and a mandrel, or jam chuck. I can't wait to get the jig.

eelamb
03-29-2014, 07:07 AM
I like the detail in 2, wondering if carved would show that amount of detail. Are the pics from designer? Either way very nice job.
Yes the images are from designer. As to details, most will show up, if using a hard closed grain wood. Walnut or Maple for example.

Why I asked for which one, I never know if more detail like in this one is better or less detail. I provided both ways, but the downloads of each will not tell.
Pattern without the 1 is the smoother one, with the 1 is the more detail.

Thanks guys for the comment, and cw-hal for picking one. I assume Dan picked the same one since that is the one he showed.

If placing on the round dowel, stretching the width of pattern to fit the dowel will look good since it is rounded (make it look fatter).
I believe that is what Dan did.