PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Scanning Sled

blhutchens
03-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Has anyone successfully built a sled to scan rotary ?

bergerud
03-26-2014, 09:19 AM
If I remember, Bud used to do rotary scans with Ed Baker's rotary jig. I have not really thought too much about it or tried it, but , it seems to me that one could just use the rotary jig to scan rotary objects. How would the machine know the difference? Something that just has to be tried.

Now that I have a second to think about it, there will be a scaling problem in the x direction. If the rotary object has a different radius than the rotary drive wheel, the x will not be scaled right. I suppose one just has to correct that later. Give it a try and report!

eelamb
03-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Bud was doing scans using a sled. But he is no longer with us. He used a modified Ed Baker rotary jig. Leo uses the same jig, maybe he will give you more infor.

blhutchens
03-26-2014, 09:45 AM
If I remember, Bud used to do rotary scans with Ed Baker's rotary jig. I have not really thought too much about it or tried it, but , it seems to me that one could just use the rotary jig to scan rotary objects. How would the machine know the difference? Something that just has to be tried.

Now that I have a second to think about it, there will be a scaling problem in the x direction. If the rotary object has a different radius than the rotary drive wheel, the x will not be scaled right. I suppose one just has to correct that later. Give it a try and report!

I was thinking of just adding a short piece of round stock on each end of the piece so that would be the reference for x.
May build one so I can scan on one machine whilst the other is carving.

eelamb
03-26-2014, 10:11 AM
See this thread http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19874-Making-Rotary-Patterns/page7 starting at first post.
Also I believe Metalus stated you can not scan with the new LHR jig.
see this thread
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25207-New-Rotary-Jig/page15
post #36

bergerud
03-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Also I believe Metalus stated you can not scan with the new LHR jig.

Don't you just love it when they say it cannot be done?

cestout
03-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Why does it not work with the scanner? You jog to the start and end points. The machine thinks you are using a flat board.
Clint

eelamb
03-26-2014, 12:47 PM
I have a feeling it is due to the depths possible with the new jig. Where as Ed's jig was within the 1" abilities of the probe.
So if you stay within the probe limits, it can be done.

FWMiller
03-26-2014, 01:50 PM
I also see no reason the scanner wouldn't work as long as the workpiece doesn't interfere with the probe. The machine doesn't know that the rotary jig is there.

James RS
03-26-2014, 03:07 PM
I am pretty sure that Bud had a video on this, and they are on Youtube

Bud was doing scans using a sled. But he is no longer with us. He used a modified Ed Baker rotary jig. Leo uses the same jig, maybe he will give you more infor.

James RS
03-26-2014, 03:15 PM
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?19874-Making-Rotary-Patterns

cestout
03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
AskBud was using the old rotary jig. I have one that I built. I know that you can scan with that, so why not with the new factory made one?
Clint

eelamb
03-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Clint see post #8. At least that is my thought on the scanning with the new one.

bergerud
03-26-2014, 04:36 PM
The scanning probe can scan quite deep. I think I have gone to 1.5" and thought it was possible to more. One could also extend the probe in, for example, the ER11 adapter to get down further.

The only problem is, I think, that the result will have to be scaled in the x direction because the length would be based on the arc length of the of the jig sprocket and not the dowel. That is no big deal.

blhutchens
03-26-2014, 04:58 PM
just scanned in draft mode and it did not work. I will have to try another in a better setting . as far as the x goes I used a 2 inch so couldn't say about anything else. depth of scan was roughly 1.5

Brent

this was a partial scan on a 2" dowel on normal. When I saved the pattern it had a depth of 1.44 so i had compensate for that when I put it on the project. Looks like it will work

lynnfrwd
03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
The scanning probe can scan quite deep. I think I have gone to 1.5" and thought it was possible to more. One could also extend the probe in, for example, the ER11 adapter to get down further.

The only problem is, I think, that the result will have to be scaled in the x direction because the length would be based on the arc length of the of the jig sprocket and not the dowel. That is no big deal.

The max depth/height of the scanning probe is mostly determined by the plastic housing. So long as you don't have a sudden drop or step up that would hit the plastic housing, you are ok.

unitedcases
03-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Now I'm interested. I had a guy ask me the other day if I could make a missile. Sounds like I need to get my hands on one...

bergerud
03-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Works for me. Scanning right now.

Edit: Added evidence!

eelamb
03-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Don't you just love it when they say it cannot be done?
Like you said in your post. :lol:
Nice going Dan, and thanks for posting it as a PTN.
For everyone, a PTN file created in 2.005, or created through the rotary software (still ver 2.005) can be read in designer 1.187. But if the project file (MPC) is posted from designer 2.x we on version 1.187 can not open it. So please if you are using designer 2.x please post the PTN file so everyone can enjoy your work and please post an image as well as the pattern file.

lynnfrwd
03-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Images are good especially for us viewing this on iPhone and no Designer.