PDA

View Full Version : Question about a bit

DougM
02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Howdy all,

I have been reading through all the forums for the past few days learning an amazing amount of great info. Thank you all for the outstanding help and support offered here!!!

I have read many posts dealing with bits and buying non-cw bits. The other day I bought a bit out at home depot because just eye balling it looked like it would work.

It is a Ryobi 1/2" V-Groove Carbide Router Bit (carbide tipped)..it has a 1/4" "shank". What I am wondering is will it work?? The bit package doesn't say if it is a 90 or 60 degree bit (though it looks like 60 to me).

So do you think it is ok to use? Would you suggest another type (brand, type, store, etc..) instead?

I really don't want to screw something up before I have had a chance to truly play with the CW.

Doug

pkunk
02-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I've used several different bits. As long as they're the same size as the CW bits, no problem.

Dan-Woodman
02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
as long as it looks similar to the cw bits. Do follow the intructions about mouting the bits in the adapter,other than that the machine will measure it.
That's probably a 90 deg. bit from Home Depot.

DougM
02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys!

I think I'll head out to sears and get some more of the holders and try out the bit!

lesbaker
02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
Doug,
That bit will work fine. I bought and have been using that same bit for about a month now and have had no problems. By the way it is a 90 degree bit.

Les

DougM
02-22-2007, 09:09 PM
ahh that is great to hear! TY!

maybe one day I'll actually be able to carve something LOL!