PDA

View Full Version : Muffler bag issues

RobertP
03-24-2014, 12:06 PM
I just wanted to ask anyone here about issues they have had with the muffler bag blowing out. I had one that kept coming loose and ended up wrapping tape around the part you insert into the motor exhaust, this worked fine until a hole developed in the bag, and carving as much MDF as I do, this made a bit of a mess to say the least. I ended up ordering a new one when I had to have my motor rebuilt, within just a few carves the new muffler assembly would blow apart, not something I would expect with a brand new part. Is this a common issue with this new C version machine? I have had two other older machines and never had an issue.

I did contact LHR about it, and their answer was just to wrap tape around the pieces that were coming apart. I dont understand this logic, but its par for the course here. Does anyone have any REAL solutions for this issue?

fwharris
03-24-2014, 12:12 PM
This is what I've done...

RobertP
03-24-2014, 12:19 PM
I like this idea! I think Ill give it a try, thank you.

mtylerfl
03-24-2014, 12:29 PM
This is what I've done...

What is that orange cable going down into the machine along the flexshaft?

fwharris
03-24-2014, 12:32 PM

My try at an air push at the carving head. It is hooked up to an aquarium 4 port air pump.

tcough3475
03-24-2014, 01:16 PM
I've had this happen to each CW I've owned and took the red-neck way out. Had an old sock that I stretched over the mufler end. Nice thing is when it gets dirt, I can wash it after shaking it out. Guess I could modify FWHarris idea and run it back through the dust collector. BTW, the DC-Insert I purchased from you really does a great job! I can't say the other DC out there are better or worse, but you can't go wrong with it.

fwharris
03-24-2014, 01:38 PM
I've had this happen to each CW I've owned and took the red-neck way out. Had an old sock that I stretched over the mufler end. Nice thing is when it gets dirt, I can wash it after shaking it out. Guess I could modify FWHarris idea and run it back through the dust collector. BTW, the DC-Insert I purchased from you really does a great job! I can't say the other DC out there are better or worse, but you can't go wrong with it.

Thank you sir! Yes I tried the old sock idea to. With what I have set up the vacuum bag does a great job on the fine dust coming out of the cut motor. I have thought about hooking it up to my dust collection hose, just have not gone out to find the fittings yet.

mtylerfl
03-24-2014, 03:58 PM
My try at an air push at the carving head. It is hooked up to an aquarium 4 port air pump.

Oh, yeah. It was the orange color that made me think it was something "electrical"! I remember years ago when Jeff Birt came up with the blower (air push) idea. I believe he still uses that along with 'vac pull' from the bottom slot of the machine. I was thinking the slot vac might be something pratical for rotary use. Not sure...I would have to re-look at what's under the machine to see if that's feasible or not.

eelamb
03-24-2014, 04:25 PM

Naw, that is how he powers the new improved Z motor. A 2 hour carve takes 10 minutes.
Do not ask how he handles the X motor. Lets just say a belt goes out to his car where one tire removed.
We all know there is a car in his shop!

jaroot
03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
I just plug my vacuum into the muffler hole. Works great. I don't turn the vacuum on, I just use it for a giant muffler.

fwharris
03-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Oh, yeah. It was the orange color that made me think it was something "electrical"! I remember years ago when Jeff Birt came up with the blower (air push) idea. I believe he still uses that along with 'vac pull' from the bottom slot of the machine. I was thinking the slot vac might be something pratical for rotary use. Not sure...I would have to re-look at what's under the machine to see if that's feasible or not.

Actually I changed that out to the clear tubing as it is not as stiff as the orange tube. The down draft probably would be good when carving with the rotary jig. My machine is still set up with the down draft box and I use it when ever I am doing cut outs. It helps pull the dust down and out of the cut outs while carving. I will for sure give it a test when I set up my first carve with the jig.

Capt Bruce
03-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Floyd,

I'm working on the same idea you mentioned to route the motor exhaust port air around through a tube or pipe and join into your collector some how. If you come up with a connector before me how about sharing your experience with us. Thanks

fwharris
03-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Floyd,

I'm working on the same idea you mentioned to route the motor exhaust port air around through a tube or pipe and join into your collector some how. If you come up with a connector before me how about sharing your experience with us. Thanks

Bruce,

I sure will if I find a good fitting. What I was thinking of is not going into the dc-insert but tapping into the 4" DC hose..

Something like this.. 4" to 2" see item G

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=62620&cat=1,42401,62597

myshop1044
03-25-2014, 07:07 AM
Bruce and Floyd, I have done the same thing with my dust muffler , I split off from my vac system
go straight to dust port using the first piece from the sock muffler and a 2" hose and I believe it works very well.
When I take it off there is not particles left in the motor.

I will try and find some pictures of my connections and post them later.

Perry B.

myshop1044
03-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Here is my hook up to the dust port.
Because of the weight of the hose, I attached a wire that supports the hose and keeps it tight in the dust port hole.

DickB
03-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Maybe I am not correct in my thinking, but to me routing the cut motor exhaust into the dust collector reduces the effectiveness of the dust hood. If I route my 600 CFM dust collector straight to my dust hood, I have 600 CFM available at the hood. But, if I add a Y and feed the cut motor exhaust in, and it produces oh say 100 CFM on it's own, don't I still have only 600 CFM going into the dust collector, and now only 500 CFM at the dust hood?

myshop1044
03-25-2014, 11:00 AM
Dick B you are right, the part you don't see, is I have a 1500 cfm vac system connected to both of the machines, that way
I can split up the cfm. The vac system is also for the rest of the tools when I'm not using the C W's.
That is a good point about the 650 cfm.

Perry B.

fwharris
03-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Maybe I am not correct in my thinking, but to me routing the cut motor exhaust into the dust collector reduces the effectiveness of the dust hood. If I route my 600 CFM dust collector straight to my dust hood, I have 600 CFM available at the hood. But, if I add a Y and feed the cut motor exhaust in, and it produces oh say 100 CFM on it's own, don't I still have only 600 CFM going into the dust collector, and now only 500 CFM at the dust hood?

Very true, it will probably reduce the cfms at the machine. Guess that is why I have not done it yet plus what I have now is working well.

Capt Bruce
03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Good points on this "next possible addition" and while it would reasonably take away something from the total CFM being extracted through the dust collector hood I have a slightly different idea. Since the port where the current motor muffler dust sock is small to begin with, I think I'll look at just taking that same cross sectional area pipe out to the 4" dia hose whether it connects through the side of the hood or direct into the hose. My key objective with this is to take all the fine dust I can into my bag filter now that it is a 1 micron felt bag and eliminate what goes right through the motor port muffler/sock. Everything I can keep out of my lungs is my objective.

DickB
03-25-2014, 12:40 PM
I have a 1500 cfm vac system connected to both of the machines, that way
I can split up the cfm.Nice! Wish I had the space!

cestout
03-25-2014, 12:54 PM
The design of the "muffler" needs to be changed to add some kind of baffle to break-up the sawdust stream that blasts a hole in the end of the bag.
Clint

DickB
03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
The design of the "muffler" needs to be changed to add some kind of baffle to break-up the sawdust stream that blasts a hole in the end of the bag.
ClintSounds like a good Carvewright project!;-)

mtylerfl
03-25-2014, 03:28 PM
I've never seen so much "fuss" over that muffler cover! I stopped using it the day after I got my first machine. They really don't "do much" anyway except deaden the noise a little. Lots better alternatives as already mentioned. Take a breath...relax...and go carve sumthin'!

liquidguitars
03-25-2014, 03:35 PM
When i picked up a "retro classic" CW off ebay to add to my units a year or two ago the guy put a nice gray " not used" sock over the muffler///

unitedcases
03-25-2014, 03:40 PM
+1 to socks. Simple.

blhutchens
03-25-2014, 03:42 PM
+1 to socks. Simple.

I put a rag in mine when it blew a hole.

I also put the tape around the threads like plumber would do.

mtylerfl
03-25-2014, 03:49 PM
When i picked up a "retro classic" CW off ebay to add to my units a year or two ago the guy put a nice gray " not used" sock over the muffler///

Glad the sock was unused...might have made the workshop smell like the YMCA otherwise.

SteveNelson46
03-26-2014, 12:49 AM
I've never seen so much "fuss" over that muffler cover! I stopped using it the day after I got my first machine. They really don't "do much" anyway except deaden the noise a little. Lots better alternatives as already mentioned. Take a breath...relax...and go carve sumthin'!

hip hip hurray!!

TerryT
03-26-2014, 06:48 AM
I have a tuned pipe from an old RC 60 pylon racer. I don't fly it any longer so I am thinking of afixing it to my CW. Don't know if it will be quieter but it should sound pretty cool!
it might pickup a few more R's also. LOL

In the mean time I went with the rag in the muffler idea.

mtylerfl
03-26-2014, 07:32 AM
I have a tuned pipe from an old RC 60 pylon racer. I don't fly it any longer so I am thinking of afixing it to my CW. Don't know if it will be quieter but it should sound pretty cool!
it might pickup a few more R's also. LOL

In the mean time I went with the rag in the muffler idea.

Nuts! I gave away a tuned muffler/pipe for a SuperTiger 2500 RC engine a few years ago. Wish I had thought to use it on one of my machines!

rnichols
03-26-2014, 05:36 PM
What I use is a Craftsman "Shopvac" muffler/diffuser part number 16993
I tried to upload a pic but it would not let me.
I just pull off the cloth and push the muffler into the base
http://parts.sears.com/partsdirect/part-number/16993/0009/009?prdNo=17&blockNo=17&blockType=G17