PDA

View Full Version : Considering ordering a CarveWright/CompuCarve, but first some questions . . .

Celticharper1
02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi All,

My hubby and I are considering buying a CarveWright/CompuCarve but have some questions first.

First a bit of background on us, we are just hobbiests, though we have a good range of power tools in our shop. We are very skilled with computers with moderatly-high skill in image manipulation; this varies with members of the household, I would have to say my oldest daughter is high as is the oldest son, so we would have plenty of help for what skills we still lack in this area.

Okay . . . having said that . . . we feel these skills and resources can only benefit us when it comes to the CW machine, but having read here and elsewhere various concerns, we need to ask some questions.

There seem to be a lot of returns on this machine, but we feel much of this is due to lack of patience with the machine, or perhaps folks saw the TV commercial and were like "ooh, ahh" this will magically carve all our stuff, and it turned out to be more work then they anticipated.

We're not worried so much about noise, use of our thickness planer has prepared us for that, LOL. We are however worried about the amount of feedback we've read regarding bad cards or card writers, problems with power, etc.

We are also concerned with sawdust buildup, vacuuming will cause a lot of static, this won't be good for the card . . . one solution seems to be to transport the card from the CW to the computer in a static proof bag . . .
thoughts?

Next, sensors having problems with accuracy due to dust buildup? If vacuuming isn't such a hot idea, is blowing it out with canned air any better? or do the more experienced here feel wiping with a soft, lint free chammy would be better, and then mostly sweeping, rather than a lot of vacuuming?

One question I've been trying to get answered through the CW folks on several occasions is this (have gotten an answer to other questions, but not this one, but I feel this is due to how busy they are, so we're not faulting them) . . . while the CW cannot carve in the round yet, the FAQ's seem to indicate there are already connection points in current model of the CW that could accommodate an anticipated accessory that may be available in the future? Knowing this will help me to determine whether to wait or get one now . . . if the connection points are already there, then I could play now and wait (hopefully) for this future accessory, if I am misunderstanding, I would rather know now, so I can make the decision to wait for a model that *has* the connection points (whether the "in the round" accessory were available yet or not at that point).

Next, apparently there is some problem with the Z-axis? Can this problem be fixed with software updates or has it already been fixed? any thoughts here are greatly appreciated. We aren't quite clear on what the problems are or were.

We also heard a brief rumor that a larger model *might* come out, which would afford the ability to do wider pieces, not crucial for us, but still . . . would be good to have input on.

If we follow through with purchase, at some point, I am highly interested in the probe accessory, thoughts on that? those of you who have it, how are you feeling about it?

Does the work require a lot of cleaning up on best quality? is there a lot of ridging to smooth out? Would just be nice to know. I don't expect to not do clean up, so please don't misunderstand me, I just don't want to have to spend as much time cleaning up as it would to carve it with my rotary tools or hand tools.

Most of the other features it offers (aside from carving) we will use our other shop tools for, though . . . I am interested in the jointing feature of this machine, I have read the manual and see it requires a separate bit purchase, no problem, but . . . those of you who have used the jointing function . . . do you have input you would care to share?

Okay, LOL . . . I know that's a lot of questions, and more may be forthcoming, but for now, we thank you for reading and look forward to all replies.

Sincerely,
Celticharper1
(Charlotte & Charles)

HandTurnedMaple
02-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Hi All,

Hello

There seem to be a lot of returns on this machine, but we feel much of this is due to lack of patience with the machine, or perhaps folks saw the TV commercial and were like "ooh, ahh" this will magically carve all our stuff, and it turned out to be more work then they anticipated.

At least some of it is. Some of it is a $2000 tool that fails on the first project. The recent "King of Cars" episode mentioned that if a new salesperson doesn't get a sale in the first day, they will not last long enough to make a career of it. Same thing here. If someone does not have success his/her first try, they will not know that the machine is worth a little struggle. Of course if you happen to get a boat anchor in a CompuCarve box, then it will take more than a little effort. But the chances of that happening get smaller every day.

We are also concerned with sawdust buildup, vacuuming will cause a lot of static, this won't be good for the card . . . one solution seems to be to transport the card from the CW to the computer in a static proof bag . . .
thoughts?

For me sawdust build-up is based on 2 issues. 1) You can't see it working because the dust is covering what it has finished. 2) It gets into the sensors on occasion. I just open mine up every 30-45 and hit it with the vacuum and proceed. I have not had static problems. My vacuum is about 3 years old, and will stand the hair on my arms from static but only where the arm actually contacts the hose.

Static bags for the card seems excessive with my experience. I drop mine in the breast pocket of my flannel shirt and keep it there while I do other work with no negative effects (as of yet).

Next, sensors having problems with accuracy due to dust buildup? If vacuuming isn't such a hot idea, is blowing it out with canned air any better? or do the more experienced here feel wiping with a soft, lint free chammy would be better, and then mostly sweeping, rather than a lot of vacuuming?

Sweeping will also cause static build-up. You can used compressed air to spray it, canned or from your air compressor. But I would vacuum the big stuff out first or else you will just force the dust into areas you can't get it out.

One question. . . while the CW cannot carve in the round yet, the FAQ's seem to indicate there are already connection points in current model of the CW that could accommodate an anticipated accessory that may be available in the future? Knowing this will help me to determine whether to wait or get one now . . . if the connection points are already there, then I could play now and wait (hopefully) for this future accessory, if I am misunderstanding, I would rather know now, so I can make the decision to wait for a model that *has* the connection points (whether the "in the round" accessory were available yet or not at that point).

I don't know how the CW will be set up to carve in the round (except maybe to carve one side, then flip it for the other side). I would consider it as "if it happens its a bonus, but don't buy it with that expectation."

Next, apparently there is some problem with the Z-axis? Can this problem be fixed with software updates or has it already been fixed? any thoughts here are greatly appreciated. We aren't quite clear on what the problems are or were.

If it hasn't already been fixed, it will be. No doubt about it.

We also heard a brief rumor that a larger model *might* come out, which would afford the ability to do wider pieces, not crucial for us, but still . . . would be good to have input on.

Never heard that.

Does the work require a lot of cleaning up on best quality? is there a lot of ridging to smooth out? Would just be nice to know. I don't expect to not do clean up, so please don't misunderstand me, I just don't want to have to spend as much time cleaning up as it would to carve it with my rotary tools or hand tools.

Expect 30-60 minutes per project cleaning up. Not saying all will require that, some of mine have just needed hand sanding through 2 grits and finished. Experience will show what woods vs. what cuts will require more or less cleaning.

benluz
02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I did here of such a machine .I know of no timetable, but the information came from the highest levels.There are many inprovements to comes as well most will easily adapt to our current machines.Remember the CW has been in the works for five years ,do you realize how technology has evolved since conception.You would have to write and engineering change notice once a week or more to keep up and some point you have to stop and just build it.Now that the unit has hit the open market there will be time to sneak in a few more goodies ,so to speak.
Ben

benluz
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
I did here of such a machine .I know of no timetable, but the information came from the highest levels.There are many inprovements to comes as well most will easily adapt to our current machines.Remember the CW has been in the works for five years ,do you realize how technology has evolved since conception.You would have to write and engineering change notice once a week or more to keep up and some point you have to stop and just build it.Now that the unit has hit the open market there will be time to sneak in a few more goodies ,so to speak.
Ben

My advice wait about a month then buy, but if you just can't handle the anticpation go ahead,also as with any machine whether it be dirt bikes ,weed eaters, computers,chain saws,cnc machines and the list goes, on study them and learn how they work and you will call tech support far less often.
Ben

mikem
02-22-2007, 05:19 PM
My trusty sears associate/sales person told me there is a larger machine coming out and the price was $8,000. I realize I am just spreading rumor, but I was interested in a larger unit also. However, at that rumored price I will have to be content with what is available now. I am currently waiting on a working machine to come in from sears. My first one wouldn't go past the "Compucarve carving machine" display screen. Oh well, I will continue to play with the software and learn what I can so I can really test the next one before the 90 day return policy expires. If it works well, then I will be hooked.

benluz
02-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Yep, when it only boots up that far it's the controller (the mother board in computer terms ) they sent me a new one right out and it took about 10 minutes to install
Ben

benluz
02-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Yep, when it only boots up that far it's the controller (the mother board in computer terms ) they sent me a new one right out and it took about 10 minutes to install
Ben

yes, 8,000 getting up there with other small CNC machines.I would need to see what all it can do.I know they plan on adding dovetails to current unit sometime this year.

Digitalwoodshop
02-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Here is the link to the connector question if you missed it.

AL

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1991&highlight=jig+connector

Celticharper1
02-23-2007, 01:15 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your input, I really appreciate it.

I *so* hope I get one that isn't glitchy, LOL.

As long as the machine is okay, it's not likely I will give up as far as the learning curve goes . . . I tend to be stubborn that way :p and if something did go wrong with the machine, it's going to be frustrating, but I'd likely just wait for parts, fixes or do an exchange.

My first words were "I can do it" (really, only not very well spoken :roll: ) my grandmother used to get a kick out of that.

:( But Sears is OOS :cry: so I am waiting for an alert so I can place my order right away.

:-P
Celticharper1

mobident
02-23-2007, 09:08 AM
Here is the link to the connector question if you missed it.

AL

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1991&highlight=jig+connector

I thought we all agreed not to use the search function

HandTurnedMaple
02-23-2007, 10:47 AM
We agreed that only pkunk and Bill were allowed to use Search.

Julie Coffey
02-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Does that mean we can just wait for them to answer our questions? ((runs and hides))

J

Julie Coffey
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry Charlotte I was too busy being a smart alec where are my manners, hello and welcome to the board! So far I've had allot of enjoyment using my machine, 'supposedly' these machines prefer women I think they just like attention <g>

Are you thinking of using these to make harp parts? Lovely photo btw.

Julie :)

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I missed the memo....

"Don't use the Search"

AL

Celticharper1
02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Julie,

Re: I'm sorry Charlotte I was too busy being a smart alec where are my manners, hello and welcome to the board! So far I've had allot of enjoyment using my machine, 'supposedly' these machines prefer women I think they just like attention

Well kewl beans then, now if they would just get more in over at Sears.

Re: Are you thinking of using these to make harp parts? Lovely photo btw.

Why thank you, my FIL took that photo. I'm just a novice player though.

I have to admit, I have definitely toyed with the idea of carving some harp sides on it, since the machine won't (apparently) take a piece with tapered sides though, I guess I will have to just get things laid out really well in the software first, do the carving and then cut my sound box sides.

Needless to say I will be playing with cheap scrap wood I've dressed nicely first, because . . . I sure don't want to waste my expensive hard/tonal woods here again just a novice).

I have lots of other plans kicking around in my brain (owwie :rolleyes: ) though for other projects and can barely wait, LOL.

I have been working on another harp from plans I got from
Robinson's Harp Shop a few years back (the Tara) I carved all the sides on that one myself with my rotary tools, and some woodburning in the tough areas, all that took hours and hours, that harp has been in the works for years though, finally coming down the homestretch on it though. Harps are a special needs instrument because of the great tension across the neck (harmonic curve) I think I have made good decisions regarding the neck and forepillar wood choice though (maple pinblock) I will veneer the edges, since if I don't all the layers will show. Harps can just sort of . . . explode, if not built properly and after this much time and work, I think I'd be very sick to my stomach if that happened.

I am bummed this week though, because I had downloaded the trial last month, for the Carvewright to play with (and placate me) until I can get an order in and darn it if I didn't have computer issues and got some respitory thing . . . so my trial ran out :cry: and now I'm burnt until I get the machine (sure wish I could play now) LOL, that's okay though, I have email notification, so hopefully will hear from Sears soon.

Anyway, pleased to meet you :D

Celticharper1

Julie Coffey
02-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Confession time- I'm a novice harpist myself. I'm doing something for a camping project this summer called Pennsic. I'm making a faux harp to hide a dvd player in so I can keep the 'medieval' look but still have my tunes. I know- blasphemy but eh a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

J

Celticharper1
02-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Greetings Julie,

Re: Confession time- I'm a novice harpist myself.

Awesome, harps are very special instruments.

Re: I'm doing something for a camping project this summer called Pennsic.

Camping project? Have you ever been to Pennsic? It's a bit more than just a camping project, LOL . . . but perhaps you already know this?

Re: I'm making a faux harp to hide a dvd player in so I can keep the 'medieval' look but still have my tunes. I know- blasphemy but eh a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

I think this is a fabulous idea and very considerate to those around you, history reenactors spend a lot of time, money and effort (they could be traveling for miles to get to Pennsic, probably the biggest event of the year for Medieval reenactment in the US anyway) it helps to maintain atmosphere whenever possible.

DH and I are in the SCA, and two of several founding members for our local group/shire (Shire of Fenrake Marsh). Are you also a player in the SCA? DH is our local seneschal and I am our chronicler.

YIDS
(Yours in Dedicated Service)
Celticharper1
(aka: Lady Tearlag Anna Ghille Mhuire)

Julie Coffey
02-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Greetings Julie,

Re: Confession time- I'm a novice harpist myself.

Awesome, harps are very special instruments.

Re: I'm doing something for a camping project this summer called Pennsic.

Camping project? Have you ever been to Pennsic? It's a bit more than just a camping project, LOL . . . but perhaps you already know this?

Re: I'm making a faux harp to hide a dvd player in so I can keep the 'medieval' look but still have my tunes. I know- blasphemy but eh a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

I think this is a fabulous idea and very considerate to those around you, history reenactors spend a lot of time, money and effort (they could be traveling for miles to get to Pennsic, probably the biggest event of the year for Medieval reenactment in the US anyway) it helps to maintain atmosphere whenever possible.

DH and I are in the SCA, and two of several founding members for our local group/shire (Shire of Fenrake Marsh). Are you also a player in the SCA? DH is our local seneschal and I am our chronicler.

YIDS
(Yours in Dedicated Service)
Celticharper1
(aka: Lady Tearlag Anna Ghille Mhuire)

Greetings My Lady, and yes I've been to Pennsic before in fact I'm this years Land agent for our group, this year will be year #3 for me. And no I'm not a SCA harpist- I'm purely a mundane 'string plucker'.

I'm currently working on several 'in-depth' projects using my CC for my war camp but I am also and not making an apology for this a 27+ yr woodworker and hand carver. This is purely a means to an end, not enough hours in the day and the potential of this tool is wonderful. After all you cannot tell me Ethan Allen hand carves all but their highest end work. I see nothing wrong with this tool so long as you represent it as a 'carving' and not a hand carving.

PM me and I'll give you the particulars I'd be honored to meet you at WAR.

My best to you and yours.

Celticharper1
03-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Re: PM me and I'll give you the particulars I'd be honored to meet you at WAR.
My best to you and yours.

Hi,

I tried to PM you, it said it was sent (been awhile) but I don't think you got it, LOL.

Just thought I'd better post so you didn't think I was ignoring you.

<sigh> STILL waiting for Sears to get more in.

LOL,
Charlotte in NV/Celticharper1

Julie Coffey
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
No I got it infact I was getting ready to reply now- I've been buried this past week. Sorry Im not normally so befuddled.

Celticharper1
03-12-2007, 04:45 PM
No I got it infact I was getting ready to reply now- I've been buried this past week. Sorry Im not normally so befuddled.

No problem =-) I was just afraid my PM hadn't gone through and you might think I was ignoring you, LOL.

For some reason I am not getting notified (even though the option is checked to do so) of replies or new content . . . sigh, will have to check settings again.

I ordered my CompuCarve finally, Sears says it will be in on Friday . . . I hope I get one of the good ones.

=-)
Charlotte

meat
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I really don't think there are many returns. It's true that there are quite a few people on the internet that have posted they're returning their machines ... but the internet isn't necessarily known for being a good barometer of what's actually going on - sort of like the media and the polls they use (no one has ever asked anyone I've ever known any poll questions, so I'm curious as to which 998 people they're actually polling).

Not everyone who keeps their machine posts that they're keeping their machines. But 100% of the people who post that they're returning their machines are returning their machines. Doesn't mean 100% of the people are returning their machines (I'll most likely reuse that figure later).

We're not worried so much about noise, use of our thickness planer has prepared us for that, LOL. We are however worried about the amount of feedback we've read regarding bad cards or card writers, problems with power, etc.
One word: WARRANTY.

thoughts?
Waste of a perfectly good static-proof bag.

The design of the card is years and years old; they're made to withstand static, shock, getting peanut butter in chocolate, getting chocolate in peanut butter, being used as a coaster, being lost in a sofa cushion, etc.

The only thing you want to do is make sure you don't get gunk in the little holes in the card. It'll make contact with the pins harder to do. Once the pins can't touch, you're SOL.

I put my card in my pocket all the time. The one thing I don't do, however, is leave it in the machine when I'm cleaning it.

I dunno. Good shop cleaning practices would seem to be a good rule of thumb, but I don't know how others keep their shops. I use a vacuum. Haven't used compressed air.

Some people have problems with this, some don't. While it's true that 100% of the people who have posted having problems with the Z-axis are having issues with it ... not 100% of the people who own the machine are having this one issue. We all try to have different issues. Keeps CarveWright on their toes.

Depends on the wood.

I do not have all the answers. I'm actually using the machine more for cuting out wing ribs and fuselage pieces for a full-size, flyable airplane (and the CW machine can cut out the rib pieces pretty durned accurately!).

Good luck with your machine. I'm happy with mine!

Your pal,
Meat.

Celticharper1
03-14-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi Meat,

Thanks for your reply.

Re: Not everyone who keeps their machine posts that they're keeping their machines.

Well I plan to, after I put it through it's paces, it needs more positive reviews, I've read through several forums and also reviews at Sears, there quite a lot of complaints (I research everything before I buy, thoroughly).

More than likely, I think that people see the magic TV commercial and think, okay, they are going to turn out things instantly with no work, but see, I do machine embroidery, lots of people have the misconception that machine embroidery isn't *legitimate* embroidery, or that it's easy. . . but it takes hours and hours of designing and factoring in textile input, then hours and hours of testing and tweaking . . . true . . . once it's done, you can kick it out over and over again, but . . . it's hard work and skill is necessary (lots of it, in fact there is far more thinking involved with machine embroidery then with hand, which I've been doing since the age of 8, 46 now) it's just another way of accomplishing the same ends and I suspect there will be some similarities with the CC/CW software, because of the digital creation aspect (all machine embroidery is now created digitally, it wasn't always so) that background isn't of course exactly like this situation, but it's a good background in digital manipulation, there are of course going to be differences, likely plenty of them, but I think anyone who has done any digital artwork has a leg up here.

Re: But 100% of the people who post that they're returning their machines are returning their machines.

Well sure, because those people are not happy, not happy as compared to happy is often a *louder* emotion (I am a volunteer counselor, can you tell?) so people will voice their dissatisfaction more often then if they're pleased (sort of a no news is good news thing). I've voiced my share of complaints in this world, but as a general rule I will also go out of my way to be proactive in the positive, because our world needs more of that.

Re: One word: WARRANTY

Exactly. Though I do wish that Sears had offered the extended warranty they usually have on their other products =-/ Usually it's the first thing out of their lips, LOL . . . this time no offer . . . so I asked (cuz I would have bought it for this) but they couldn't find the availability for that =-/ but there is still the basic warranty so it's all good.

Re: Waste of a perfectly good static-proof bag.

Actually that question was based off of a suggestion I received privately before I posted here from someone I inquired of beforehand, it's kind of his line of work, and he seemed to think it was a good idea, so that's why I asked that question.

Re: The design of the card is years and years old; they're made to withstand static, shock, getting peanut butter in chocolate, getting chocolate in peanut butter, being used as a coaster, being lost in a sofa cushion, etc.

Ha ha ha :lol:

Re:The only thing you want to do is make sure you don't get gunk in the little holes in the card. It'll make contact with the pins harder to do. Once the pins can't touch, you're SOL.

LOL, well that's just kind of common sense I would think . . . but . . . in case a person isn't literate in such things (fortunately we are) it is good info to have.

Re: We all try to have different issues. Keeps CarveWright on their toes.

LOL, I don't want to keep CW on their toes, I just want it to work, LOL.

Re: Good luck with your machine. I'm happy with mine!

Well thank you :-) Hopefully all shall go well. I'm very excited about it.

:-)
Celticharper1

forqnc
03-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Maybe I am showing my age, but I remember when the Commodore 64 came out. It advertised awesome graphics compared to what we where used to at the time, then everyone I know, who rushed out and bought one, complained about the 20-50 mins it took to load the game from the tape player. :rolleyes:

HerbO
03-14-2007, 09:48 AM
everyone I know, who rushed out and bought one, complained about the 20-50 mins it took to load the game from the tape player. :rolleyes:

You must know me :) actually I complained about typing for 3 hours to play tic tac toe then getting a couple of "syntax errors".

The chuck on my CW had a wobble in it and it went to CW to repair.
When it came back I started the first project and "close lid" error poped up. First thing in your mind is What the H___ I just got it back. Stepped back...what do I do next "FORUM" ...did a search went back checked switches looked fine. Reached back pushed on the ribbon cable and all the wire connectors...Presto woriking. I would say it wasn't CW fault ...I'm blaming the boot hole in my shipping box.
When I received "syntax error" I had no way of asking what to do next.
With the CW you can search the forum or if all else faills call CW.
My only problem now is when I purchased the CW I had a thousand ideas and now everyday I think what do I really want to carve.

Herb

BoardSilly
03-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe I am showing my age, but I remember when the Commodore 64 came out. It advertised awesome graphics compared to what we where used to at the time, then everyone I know, who rushed out and bought one, complained about the 20-50 mins it took to load the game from the tape player. :rolleyes:

Shoot, I still remember working on an ADM3A terminal connected via RS232 to a Series1. The C64, TI99/4A, and the Atari were uptown for home users brother! :-)

meat
03-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Well I plan to, after I put it through it's paces, it needs more positive reviews, I've read through several forums and also reviews at Sears, there quite a lot of complaints (I research everything before I buy, thoroughly).

It's the internet; you'll always find more complaints than praise. If you add up the number of complaints from different sources, that total is miniscule compared to the number of CW or CC machines that have shipped.

Exactly. Though I do wish that Sears had offered the extended warranty they usually have on their other products =-/ Usually it's the first thing out of their lips, LOL . . . this time no offer . . . so I asked (cuz I would have bought it for this) but they couldn't find the availability for that =-/ but there is still the basic warranty so it's all good.

Back in the day, Sears offered an unconditional lifetime warranty on all Craftsman tools for free. Today, I can buy tools that say Craftsman on them from Sears, but the warranty is almost always limited, non-existant or there is no extended warranty available. Nature of the outsourcing beast.

Even as we speak, I'm carving out stations for a 17' strip-built kayak on the machine. It might not have a lifetime warranty, but it does seem to be doing what I ask it to, when I ask it to.

I'm happy with my machine.

Your pal,
Meat.

forqnc
03-14-2007, 12:08 PM
You must know me :) actually I complained about typing for 3 hours to play tic tac toe then getting a couple of "syntax errors".

Herb

and everyone went into Department Store and typed:-

10 Print"Hello":
20 Goto 10

:D

Shoot, I still remember working on an ADM3A terminal connected via RS232 to a Series1. The C64, TI99/4A, and the Atari were uptown for home users brother! :-)

OK you lost me at ADM3A :D

HandTurnedMaple
03-14-2007, 03:13 PM
I usually just programmed my own games on the C64 because we couldn't afford real ones (except Strip Poker). Now today I can barely program a temperature converter in C++.

But I was always an Apple ][c or ][e guy at heart until the Zenith IBM-clones came out while I was in high school (you remember, the orange and black screens). Leisure Suit Larry changed me in so many ways...

mobident
03-14-2007, 05:56 PM
I reverse engineered a 2E from a Korean knock off motherboard by hand so I could build my own from scratch. I worked on it for two weeks straight. I'ld close my eyes and still see the after image of the board feed-throughs.

I think maybe it's still burnt into my retinas.

My uncle and I then built hardcase versions, and automated a sulfur refining plant in Jubail, Saudi Arabia with them. Total process control with only 700K ram. Semi-graphical interface (thanks Beagle graphics!) to boot.

Bruce

DAT60A3
03-14-2007, 07:02 PM
I still have a 300 bps acoustic coupler (the modem where you put the phone handset into it). I used that on a TI Professional Portable. This had 256k of RAM, 2 5¼" floppies, a 9" CRT, and weighed 40 lbs! Everyone asked me why I needed so much power. It beat anything IBM had, until it was orphaned a year later by TI. Back then they had to write efficient software. Now they can write garbage because the hardware makes up for it.

Celticharper1
03-14-2007, 11:21 PM

LOL, I had one of those, I had just had my first baby, so I had time on my hands while he was sleeping ~ I spent a long time entering the data for the little space game . . . and then there was the pong, which I really liked.

"syntax error", yes . . . that used to frustrate me quite a lot, but I tend to be a driven personality when I want to accomplish something . . . so I would just start over, LOL.

Mem-or-ies . . .

LOL,
Celticharper1

Celticharper1
03-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Back then they had to write efficient software. Now they can write garbage because the hardware makes up for it.

Depends on whose involved, there are lots of of programmers and technicians, some good some bad . . . but get an IEEE involved and you've got the cream of the crop . . . the very best of both worlds, and they don't have a choice, they are either "all that" or they aren't IEEE (or won't be for long).

;)
Celticharper1

Celticharper1
03-14-2007, 11:33 PM
It's the internet; you'll always find more complaints than praise.

True, but still it's an extension of human nature, before that it was snail mail and phone calls

Back in the day, Sears offered an unconditional lifetime warranty on all Craftsman tools for free.

I think they still have it for hand tools, like screwdrivers, and the like, but maybe that's gone too.

Today, I can buy tools that say Craftsman on them from Sears, but the warranty is almost always limited, non-existant or there is no extended warranty available.

Extended warranties have definately been available in the last several years, at least they were available a couple of years ago when I purchased my shopvac and a few other things from them, come to think of it, it was available on my lawn mower last year too . . . maybe they've cut it out entirely since then though.

>Nature of the outsourcing beast.

Yes :mad:

Even as we speak, I'm carving out stations for a 17' strip-built kayak on the machine.

Nifty, I hope you post pics :)

Only a couple more days <rubs hands together> :D

:)
Celticharper1

covennantwood94n
05-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Will this machine be available anytime soon in South Korea? Have been checking Ebay, but no one sells worldwide. However, there is also the question of servicing...
I teach in rural South Korea, and would love to be able to introduce my students to the joy of 3d woodcarving.
Any thoughts/comments will be appreciated.

benluz
05-05-2007, 07:06 AM
Will this machine be available anytime soon in South Korea? Have been checking Ebay, but no one sells worldwide. However, there is also the question of servicing...
I teach in rural South Korea, and would love to be able to introduce my students to the joy of 3d woodcarving.
Any thoughts/comments will be appreciated.

I was just talking to the Cw company about world wide sales.The girl I spoke believed it was the intent of the company to go world wide,but at what point she did not know,this month their obligation with sears changes and they will be selling units from the web store that is soon to be open .Your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay and ask sellers to ship to your country.
Ben