PDA

View Full Version : King and Queen

SteveNelson46
03-22-2014, 09:48 PM
Trying my hand at a rotary project and having a blast. This software is awesome.

eelamb
03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Please post images so those of us without the software or version 2.x can see your work.
I am still interested it what can be done even if I do not own the jigs or software.

SteveNelson46
03-22-2014, 10:55 PM
Please post images so those of us without the software or version 2.x can see your work.
I am still interested it what can be done even if I do not own the jigs or software.

Here is a pic

FWMiller
03-22-2014, 11:05 PM
A few more of these ideas and I might just have to buy this thing.

blhutchens
03-22-2014, 11:16 PM
here's one

This thing is cuewl !!!!!!!

FWMiller
03-22-2014, 11:21 PM
Are you guys designing these from scratch in the designer rotary software?

SteveNelson46
03-22-2014, 11:26 PM
Are you guys designing these from scratch in the designer rotary software?

I don't know about the others but, I downloaded the .STL files from:

https://grabcad.com/library/chess-board-and-pieces

I don't know if I will carve them or not but, they sure have been great for learning the software.

FWMiller
03-22-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm curious if the software had the capabilities to do this stuff or if I'd need to import everything. As much as I've read so far they don't appear to offer a trial period on the rotary software.

blhutchens
03-23-2014, 12:09 AM
the software can do a lot or all of it. I am grabbing stl files wherever i can find em.
sketch up has a lot but you have to get the stl exporter add-on . You can design there too and its a free one

If you are thinking of buying it, i would definitely look at stl importer if you don't have it.

SteveNelson46
03-23-2014, 12:11 AM
I'm curious if the software had the capabilities to do this stuff or if I'd need to import everything. As much as I've read so far they don't appear to offer a trial period on the rotary software.

Some of the rotary patterns in this thread have been created using only the Designer software. Michael Tyler did a couple yesterday and I re-created his pattern using his instructional steps. Some of the others such as my King and Queen could possibly be created in the Designer but, with difficulty. At least for me.

eelamb
03-23-2014, 08:25 AM
There are many rotary patterns through out this forum that I have created and uploaded, but to answer your question, yes you can create most of the patterns yourself using LHR's software. BUT, you will need other add on software that they sell along with the rotary software, such as designer 2.005, and the 3d suite add on, as well as the rotary jig and software.

For rotary jig/software
Basic requirements are:
Rubber traction belts
designer 2.005 or later

Recommended:
Carvetight chuck
long carving bit
3d suite add on
stl importer

Hope this helps.

FWMiller
03-23-2014, 10:55 AM
Thanks. The 2.005 and rubber belts were clear. What can be done with the rotary software and no 3d suite is not clear. I'm guessing that almost anything you want to do involves a sweep of some sort and all that the rotary software does is generate a view of it revolved around the axis. Does the rotary software itself have any "design" features or is it merely a tool to wrap the flat design.

SteveNelson46
03-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks. The 2.005 and rubber belts were clear. What can be done with the rotary software and no 3d suite is not clear. I'm guessing that almost anything you want to do involves a sweep of some sort and all that the rotary software does is generate a view of it revolved around the axis. Does the rotary software itself have any "design" features or is it merely a tool to wrap the flat design.

So far, I have not used a sweep to generate any rotary projects. You don't need the .STL importer either but, it GREATLY expands the possibilities. Any pattern that you or any one else has made can be used and all of the tools and add-ons that are normally used on a flat board are used in rotary projects. The rotary add-on wraps these patterns and designs around the circumference of a cylinder.

fwharris
03-23-2014, 11:47 AM

Yes having the 2D/3D tools does help in creating designs but you can still do some creative designing with out them. This column was done with applying a domed surface and a bit assigned to lines. After laying it out I grouped them all and made a pattern.

FWMiller
03-23-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks. That clarifies it much better. The rotary software is merely wrapping my flat design. So whatever I want wrapped around the cylinder, I need to have the other software capability to create.