PDA

View Full Version : Long carving bit,bad lesson

ekimnamyr
03-20-2014, 09:20 AM
First time using 1/8 long carving bit, Carving 1.5 depth in pine, best setting, best on bit optimize, Carve started it raster carved at about 1/4 to 3/8 per pass till it got to the full depth then it snapped the bit, That hurt the wallet ouch!!!!!!, What did I do wrong????

bergerud
03-20-2014, 11:18 AM
Can you post the destroyer mpc?

ekimnamyr
03-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Hate to look at wallet starts howling :lol:

bergerud
03-20-2014, 12:57 PM
It could be that you went in too fast. I would have used some feather so the bit carves down more slowing. Also, note that when the bit gets to the back of the car, it will have to plunge in deep. It might break or cause stall there as well. I would flip the pattern so the bit goes up the back. It is easy to go up.

ekimnamyr
03-20-2014, 04:04 PM
I will give it a shot when i get another bit. Thanks Bergerud

Deolman
03-20-2014, 05:15 PM
I can't open your pattern with my old software. Were you carving with the 1/8" bit or cutting something out?

ekimnamyr
03-20-2014, 06:04 PM
I had just started the carve. All went well til the bit got down to full depth and started to raster carve it only went about .750 inch an bit ssnapped? Is it possible for the 1/8 carving bit to carve a depth of 1.5 inch with setting at best ?

Deolman
03-20-2014, 10:30 PM
It sounds to me like you are using the 1/8" cutting bit and trying to carve with it. It is not designed to carve - it is designed to cut out an outline. You should be using the 1/16" bit to do your carving. Remember the 1/16" bit can only cut to the depth of the flutes or 7/8"

lynnfrwd
03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
I think he was using a 1/8" long carving bit, but I haven't seen the project.

mtylerfl
03-20-2014, 11:27 PM
I can't open your pattern with my old software. Were you carving with the 1/8" bit or cutting something out?

Take another peek at the first post. He states he's using the 1/8" long carving bit. I opened the MPC and yes, indeed...he assigned the correct bit.

I agree a feather would help...I might have designed the car with a sloping/slanted back end, as well, so it was gentler on the bit - then trim off the unwanted excess with a saw. That's a fairly challenging (risky) cut going so deep and "straight" down. I am so sorry you broke the bit...that does hurt, alright! I broke a $57 bit on my "brand-x" machine the other day myself.

ekimnamyr
03-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks too all When the new bit arrives and some modifications are made I will HOPEFULLY be able to give a success story. If you take a peak at blogs you will see the pine wood derby car that I was trying to copy for my grand sons up coming race. Sorry about you breaking a bit also Michael Guess it is a learning curve as long as I learn from it. Again thanks to all the responses, Mike

ekimnamyr
03-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Here I am again,, Can anyone shed some light on why when draft is added to this, The top Bezier gets the mountain effect that it does.

mtylerfl
03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Here I am again,, Can anyone shed some light on why when draft is added to this, The top Bezier gets the mountain effect that it does.

I don't know why it does that...might have something to do with the mirroring of the rail sweep vector. I have a suggestion...select your sweeps and the two rectangles for the wheel axles and Group, then Make Pattern. Try using the PTN itself instead of the sweeps and separate components. I'll bet the draft will 'behave itself' then (if you even need it). I just tried to do it for you, but am locked out with the message 'one or more patterns belong to someone else' which I think is actually an erroneous message, but it is what it is.

Most times, it's 'best practice' to use the Make Pattern feature anyway on sweeps and such. That way you avoid any 'weirdness' that can occur from directly using them. In other words, you will then be working with a PTN and it's generally a lot easier that way anyhow (for example, if you need to rotate something, you MUST create a PTN first).

ekimnamyr
03-21-2014, 03:07 PM
will give it a shot Michael Thanks for the input. Mike;

ekimnamyr
03-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Tried your suggestion Michael, But still has the same issue maybe a little worse, it gets the mountain effect with raising the bit optimizing now ??

fwharris
03-22-2014, 10:48 AM
Your problem is that the top edge of the car is not smooth like it is on the bottom edge. I removed the draft settings and you can see that the top has bumps. When draft is applied in magnifies them.

mtylerfl
03-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Yep, that looks a little goofy. Turn off the Draft...you don't need it. Also, turn off the Floor Feather (uncheck the box). Turn off the feather on the pinewood.You'll still see a "rim" of spikes on the upper side of the car.

Draw a rectangle, add a .25" feather (not flipped), make it a Carve Region and set the depth to 1.249". Make the rectangle "Additive Merge". Select Clip Carving: Exclusive for the pinewood pattern (leave the merge setting at normal). This should get rid of all the strange anomalies at the top edge of the pinewood pattern.

Adjust the rectangle size to make sense for carving. I included an MPC example for you to look at, with all the above settings. (It has the default tapered 1/16" bit...of course you will need to change that to the bit you will be actually using.)

ekimnamyr
03-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Ah yes I can see it now,, Thanks Floyd
Your problem is that the top edge of the car is not smooth like it is on the bottom edge. I removed the draft settings and you can see that the top has bumps. When draft is applied in magnifies them.

ekimnamyr
03-22-2014, 04:08 PM
That is what I am looking For Michael..... I'll make the changes and the new bit should be here and will give an update thanks for the instructions Michael, really appreciate it.
Yep, that looks a little goofy. Turn off the Draft...you don't need it. Also, turn off the Floor Feather (uncheck the box). Turn off the feather on the pinewood.You'll still see a "rim" of spikes on the upper side of the car.

Draw a rectangle, add a .25" feather (not flipped), make it a Carve Region and set the depth to 1.249". Make the rectangle "Additive Merge". Select Clip Carving: Exclusive for the pinewood pattern (leave the merge setting at normal). This should get rid of all the strange anomalies at the top edge of the pinewood pattern.

Adjust the rectangle size to make sense for carving. I included an MPC example for you to look at, with all the above settings. (It has the default tapered 1/16" bit...of course you will need to change that to the bit you will be actually using.)