PDA

View Full Version : using a sled on "A" version

Ropdoc
03-20-2014, 08:56 AM
I purchased the Carvetight Spindle upgrade for my "A" version and got it installed. I tried to use a sled and it will not let me past the message about the keeper rail. Are we not able to use sleds on the "A" version or do I need to upgrade the machine software?

Thank you,
Dave

fwharris
03-20-2014, 11:05 AM
The machine version makes no difference as there has not been any changes to the over all configuration of the machine.

Please be more specific about the message about the keeper rail. I am guessing you are talking about the sliding plate. What software version are you running right now?

CW-HAL9000
03-20-2014, 09:26 PM
When the machine asks you if the sliding plate is set answer yes. It will then ask you for your board thickness. Enter the actual carving board thickness not the board and sled. It will then go on to work. The machine is noticing the difference in the thickness between the mpc and the actual thickness with the sled. It will usually only do this on boards with a cut out or cut through (drill).

Ropdoc
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
When I use a sled on the "A" version and it ask about the sliding plate this is the message "ensure sliding plate set 1) retry 2) abort. I have ho option to keep going.

When I use a sled on the "C" version the message I get is "Is the sliding plate set 1) yes 2) no, retry. I hit yes and then enter .75 for the board thickness.

how do I fix this? Thank you for your help.

Dave

CW-HAL9000
03-31-2014, 02:16 PM
I only have C version machines but I believe they should all react he same as long as the firmware is up to date. Have you upgraded the firmware on the card you are using for the A machine? What version of designer are you using and what version is the card formatted to? If I am wrong about the A machines maybe someone can chime in?

FWMiller
03-31-2014, 02:26 PM
The only time I've had that happen was when I forgot to set the plate and the bit could not touch down on it when doing the board thickness measurement. Is the machine funding they plate when touching down the bit?

Ropdoc
03-31-2014, 07:14 PM
I set both "A" and "C" versions exactly the same. Same sled with slide plate against sled. But the message is different.

CW-HAL9000
03-31-2014, 07:29 PM
I set both "A" and "C" versions exactly the same. Same sled with slide plate against sled. But the message is different.

Was the same memory card used on both machines? The software that runs the computer in the machine is actually in the firmware programmed on the card. It is possible to have a different version of the firmware on two different cards. It is easy to fix just update the firmware on the card that has the older version. Older versions of the firmware did not give you the option to input the thickness to account for a sled or carrier board.

Ropdoc
03-31-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes same card for both machines.

CW-HAL9000
03-31-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm striking out then, Time for a pinch hitter.

lynnfrwd
03-31-2014, 09:36 PM
I think you can check the firmware version on each machine. Seems to me they should be the same and think the same. Calling Metallus....!

RMarkey
03-31-2014, 10:23 PM
You can use the same firmware, sure. The difference in the machines is the calibration, position of the flip-plate, and the touch position at the tracking roller. Compare the flip & touch heights between them.

Sleds 14" wide can't measure depth correctly, so you'll get a message like that.

Ropdoc
04-01-2014, 05:58 AM
thank you for the ideas so far. The sled width is 12"

mtylerfl
04-07-2014, 04:15 PM
thank you for the ideas so far. The sled width is 12"

Will you please post a photo or two of your sled? How high are the side rails?

Ropdoc
04-08-2014, 06:12 AM
Will you please post a photo or two of your sled? How high are the side rails?

There are no side rails. Just end rails 4" wide X 12". The base and end rails are 3/4" thick.68874 This is what it looks like. It is very basic. I use it for everything I make.

Thank you for your time.
Dave

CW-HAL9000
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
There are no side rails. Just end rails 4" wide X 12". The base and end rails are 3/4" thick.68874 This is what it looks like. It is very basic. I use it for everything I make.

Thank you for your time.
Dave

Same thing I use and all projects go on this whether the wood looks perfect or not.

Ropdoc
04-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Same thing I use and all projects go on this whether the wood looks perfect or not.

And it works great on the "C" version. But will not work om the "A" version. I am hoping someone has the answer to why.

CW-HAL9000
04-08-2014, 11:03 AM
One way to make it work would be to have the sled the same width as the project board by taping a piece of stock the same thickness as project board to the side of the project board. Your project board must be even with the keypad side of the sled. The a machine will measure it all like one board. Use jog to center of project board for placement.

DocWheeler
04-08-2014, 11:10 AM
As implied above, the machine taps the sliding plate for information about the bottom of the material in the machine, I think.
One measurement by the firmware determines an elevation by touching down on the sliding plate.
With a carrier-board wider that the "measured-board", the bit strikes the carrier-board which it recognizes as being too high.

No idea why the two machines work differently if the firmware and physical board/sled is the same.

Digitalwoodshop
04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Humor me....

On both machines... With the same bit installed, move the Z head to the top mechanical pin. Sensor Data, Z Data, and touch the tip of the bit to the Bit Plate, Sliding Bar and even the same board cranked down in the machine.... Are the readings similar between machines?

Second, Sensor Data, Roller Data. See if the Rubber Rollers are working correct when cranked down on a board then cranked up showing released... One roller could be sticking on your "A" machine.

AL

Ropdoc
04-09-2014, 05:59 AM
Humor me....

On both machines... With the same bit installed, move the Z head to the top mechanical pin. Sensor Data, Z Data, and touch the tip of the bit to the Bit Plate, Sliding Bar and even the same board cranked down in the machine.... Are the readings similar between machines?

Second, Sensor Data, Roller Data. See if the Rubber Rollers are working correct when cranked down on a board then cranked up showing released... One roller could be sticking on your "A" machine.

AL

I will have to do that tonight after work.

Thank you