PDA

View Full Version : creating a square or rectangle are with different depth

kjposter
03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
I am trying to figure out how to create a square cut out area that has different depths on different corners

of the square ?

I have designer 2.0 software

Is it possible to designate a different depth in a square cutting area

I went to square tool and rectangle tool and tried to create an area with corners with different depths

is this possible

cestout
03-19-2014, 03:13 PM
You need the Tilt Tool in the 3D package.
Clint

kjposter
03-20-2014, 10:48 AM
I have des 2.0

would that be an upgrade or would I have it

if I dont how much is it

bergerud
03-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Here is something you can do with a right dome, left dome, an invert, and merge additive.

SteveNelson46
03-20-2014, 11:44 AM
I am trying to figure out how to create a square cut out area that has different depths on different corners

of the square ?

I have designer 2.0 software

Is it possible to designate a different depth in a square cutting area

I went to square tool and rectangle tool and tried to create an area with corners with different depths

is this possible

I'm not completely clear on what you want. If you want a bubble effect where the center is higher than the corners you can use Bergerud's suggestion or you could use the Puff tool. If you want the center to be lower than the corners just invert the pattern. If you want a stair-step effect use a pocket cut and set the bit to different depths on each path or groups of paths.

kjposter
03-21-2014, 12:15 PM
I want to thank all for their help

Here is what I am trying to create

I need a square or rectangle that has on one end or two corners a set depth and then on the other end or two corners

a different set depth so that it has a slant

Imagine a parking garage ramp

so for example if I have a 2 inch piece of wood and then I want to lay over that piece a rectangle or square with two corners that have 1/2 inch depth and two corners with 1 inch depth

cestout
03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
The 3D package is an add on and will cost you, but worth it. You get the Tilt Tool, Puffing, Extruding and a bunch of other stuff. You can even puff your raster text - works great. short of that, if you have the scanning probe, scan a flat piece of wood positioned at the angles you want.
Clint

BTW, if you get the 3D package, add the 2D also and you can create some amazing patterns.

lynnfrwd
03-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Place Rectangle > Carve Region > Select Surface > Right Dome
Change Height to 999.

Seems to be smooth transition in depth.

Tilt tool from 3d will work too.

lynnfrwd
03-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Place Rectangle > Carve Region > Select Surface > Right Dome
Change Height to 999.

Seems to be smooth transition in depth.

Tilt tool from 3d will work too.

Nope, never mind. Saw your 1" to .5" depth requirements.

kjposter
03-21-2014, 12:41 PM
I did not think of that that might work

SteveNelson46
03-21-2014, 01:39 PM

I need a square or rectangle that has on one end or two corners a set depth and then on the other end or two corners

so for example if I have a 2 inch piece of wood and then I want to lay over that piece a rectangle or square with two corners that have 1/2 inch depth and two corners with 1 inch depth

Is this what you have in mind? I used the "Extrude" tool to create this example.

bergerud
03-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Like this?

DickB
03-21-2014, 08:22 PM
It can be done without 3D tools. I find it handy to have several grey scale height map geometric shapes on hand. These can be imported to make patterns and manipulated as needed. In this example I used a "miter" height map that I had used to carve a 45 degree mitered edge on some parts. In that case it was a pierced carve with max height. For your application I placed it on the board, drug the edges to get the desired square size (actually typed the dimensions in on the toolbar), then set the pattern depth and height values to get the specified 1" deep at one end and .5" deep at the other.

Not sure I would carve this without adding some feather. Others have broken those expensive long carving bits on deep carves with no feather or draft.

(mpc is Designer 2)

68370 68371

cestout
03-22-2014, 03:35 PM
I forgot about the gray scale thing. I think I have a program you guys gave me or steered me to some where. I will have to find it. Bergrund, how did you do that?
Clint

bergerud
03-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Bergrund, how did you do that?
Clint

I made two squares. One got a right dome. The other got a left dome. Inverting one of the domes and using merge add, the curves cancel out and leave a ramp. Play with depth and height to change the slope. A bit of fooling around, but, one could then make a pattern out of it.

kjposter
03-23-2014, 01:33 AM
this is very close to what I am trying to do

bjbethke
03-23-2014, 10:07 AM

You can do that with the older versions of Designer. I use 1.187, Use the Dome function - Set Depth And Height to get the slant you want.

I also use a program that makes grayscale images. (Wolfie's Gradient Designer) it was a program that came out about the year 2008, It was free at that time, but I don't think the Guy offers it any more. There are lots of other programs that you can use to make grayscale images most Photo programs will work.

eelamb
03-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Here is what you are asking for according to measurements of .5 and 1" square. You would have to do a zero depth on all outside edges to prevent the deep cuts there. I should add that this is a bit breaker type of pattern.

kjposter
03-26-2014, 03:33 PM
is this because the depth at the end is hard on

the bit

eelamb
03-26-2014, 03:38 PM
Yes, it is a plunge cut.

kjposter
03-26-2014, 10:40 PM
what can be done to ease the strain on the bit

lower the angle and create a second pass ?

bergerud
03-26-2014, 10:57 PM
One thing would be to start from the shallow end and carve toward the deep end. Many times I have switched carvings so that the bit comes up the cliff not plunges down it.