PDA

View Full Version : Lowest hours on machine

want2b
03-18-2014, 06:59 PM
After getting a reminder form other posts about maintaining my carver I ordered cut motor brushes and decided to take break and do an overall. Went to check the hours of usage to see what needed updating and the attached pics show what I found. It's a Compucarve machine purchased in early 2008. Have had it back for various problems early in its life. Did purchase the extended warranty thru Sears and feel I actually got my moneys' worth, only extended warranty I have ever bought. Have the scan probe and running 1.187.
Anyway, just for grins, bet this is the machine showing the lowest hours.
Happy carving,
Rick H.

fwharris
03-18-2014, 07:14 PM
Almost a brand new machine! Seems like there was a post a long time ago about the machine not recording the usage hours. Do not recall what the issue was or what was done to correct it.

RMarkey
03-18-2014, 07:22 PM
The * means the (internal flash) memory failed, which may/may-not be a problem depending on where it failed.

Calibration is stored in that memory as well, but a backup is created if that part of memory can't be read.

In other words, your custom calibration and saved settings may not be restored when you turn on the machine. Default calibration would be created in that instance.

TerryT
03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
So what would a fix involve?

want2b
03-19-2014, 07:01 PM
My guess is the fix would be a new controller board. That's where all the brains are. Ironcally that was one of the things replaced after I bought my scanner. Seemed it worked ok from the old connection on the truck but would not connect when the feed was moved to the side of the carver with a software update. Anyway, I recently did a Y Axis calibration due to a problem with double sided carves not matching(hadn't done a lot of them). Have done multiple double sided carves since then and my corrections keep working so I will assume they are stored somewhere that is accessible to the software.
It ain't broke, don't see a need to fix it. I'll worry about what the loss of tracking hours really means with my carver. I have to admit I can't remember when I last checked the hours. Like most folks, it's doing fine so why worry. When it acts up then try to fix it.
The only thing I have noticed is after the machine is on for a while( not sure how long) my keypad stops working on the 4 5 6 down <. Have managed to work thru that by using multiple up < so far so again not totally broke. Checked for pinched cables but looked ok.
Anyway, just a weird surprise but luckily at this point not stopping the carver. If things change will post just for the information.

Rick H.

TerryT
03-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Well, I agree about the hours. I have been using "Tony" (my B machine) for years and it has worked flawlessly. And I'm talking a lot of hours of carving. But, the hours show 0.0. If it was a simple fix I would do it. Replacing the controler is out because there really is no need, as I said the machine works great. If it was as simple as pluging in a new eprom or something. I could probably handle that.

Do they still use eproms? or is that antique type electornics?

FWMiller
03-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Antique, but not completly unused ....went from eprom to eeprom and now flash.

TerryT
03-19-2014, 09:37 PM
Well, guess I'm showing my age. LOL
Anyway, is that a user replaceable item or a new controller type of thing?