PDA

View Full Version : Shocks while using the carvewright CX

atldal
03-15-2014, 06:31 PM
does anyone else have an issue with getting shocked and also feeling electricity when they touch their z truck and other areas of the machine. I think I might have an issue with the machine.

want2b
03-15-2014, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a grounding issue. Use a voltmeter and check the frame/metal of the carver to a known good ground source for A/C. Also verify your neutral to ground and to the 'hot side, sometimes an open neutral will give strange effects. Definitely resolve the issue, not good for you or the carver.

Rick H.

bergerud
03-15-2014, 07:18 PM
Are you talking static shocks or 60 Hz shocks? Do you feel a tick or do you feel a buzz?

Deolman
03-15-2014, 08:28 PM
What kind of flooring is it on?

atldal
03-15-2014, 10:21 PM
It is on a concrete floor on top of a wooden bench. I mean a buzz, not just a shock.

bergerud
03-15-2014, 10:35 PM
That is not good. The CX has a new power supply, maybe there is a problem with it. Maybe just some wires crossed. Better call LHR on Monday. You may have to send it in.

Digitalwoodshop
03-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Before you call LHR you are going to want to confirm that your power outlet is wired properly... One of the testers with the lights will be the fastest... It has lights to show a properly wired outlet....

Next I would use a volt meter to measure from the ground of the outlet box to the metal parts of the machine....

And do you have a EXTRA Ground Rod installed in your Power System... If you DO then this could be a "Ground Loop" Problem... This is where the 2nd ground causes the actual ground AFTER the 2nd Ground to be a few volts above the actual Earth Ground at the Power Meter...

Next... do you have a Dust collection system? That will cause static voltage....

Lastly.... Standing on a Cement floor.... It is possible to get SHOCKED..... Try to find something Insulated and stand on it and see if the shock goes away... Remember Voltage will seek the path of least resistance to GROUND.... EVEN if it is through YOU and your HEART....

This is VERY IMPORTANT to solve.... QUICKLY..... I remember as a kid standing on a new house gound wet wooden floor that was wet from the nights rain and I picked up a Metal Electric Drill that was plugged in and got ZAPPED....

Like posted above, IF a outlet is wired WRONG, the frame of the machine could have VOLTAGE on it....

AL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Receptacle_tester

chypes
03-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Hello...This is Chris H. I am a Carvewright phone customer support agent / Hardware Tech...and CW user. I am also an experienced, registered apprentice electrician with the state of Texas. This is the first report I have heard of this issue. This issue has to be a grounding problem as mentioned previously. I doubt the power supply is faulty, but you may want to carefully inspect the wires and cables for any bare, damaged wiring as well as inspect and test your shops electrical circuitry.
Did the problem just start randomly or has it been ongoing since you got the machine? All of these machines go through a very stringent QA testing process before they leave our shop, so it is very unlikely the machine is faulty. We would have found this issue during the QA process I can assure you.
Before you call us, test your electrical system in the shop. Look for a ground fault. Look for damaged wires. And as mentioned earlier, if you are using a DC system, make sure it is also grounded to avoid static buildup.
Let us know what you find!!

bergerud
03-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Given that the machine is isolated on a wooden workbench with no DC attached, a 60 Hz shock coming from the machine casing could only be the fault of the machine. The machine is apparently failing to be "double insulated". There must be moisture, sawdust, or something making an unwanted connection from the circuitry to the case.

Digitalwoodshop
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
I would remove the bottom of the machine with it un plugged and look for a pinched wire.... And if you could snap a few pictures of the CX bottom of the Machine for me as I will likely never see one hands on.... I want to see the Power Supply close up....

The Double Insulated usually is for the Cut Motor design. IF voltage is leaking to the case, it is likely a pinched wire....

Testing the Home Power is really important too and cannot be disreguarded... It is the starting point for this.... And Path of Least Resistance... Standing on a Cement Floor... That is the path to ground that is a factor too... 100 users on a dry floor and everything OK... One user with Leather Sole Shoes on Cement and ZAP.... If anyone remembers the old Tube Radios of the 60's... I was playing with one as a kid and replaced the plug... It had one of the 2 wire plugs with a WIDER spade.... Designed to plug into a AC Outlet ONLY ONE WAY... With the Bigger Spade in the Neutral or White wire of the Outlet and the thinner one in the HOT slot. They DO this as the early radios the Neutral Wire was connected Directly to the METAL Case of the radio. I replaced the plug with a Lamp cord version with the Spades BOTH the SAME Size.... First Time I plugged it in to test it, 50/50, I got it right.... The 2nd time I plugged it in... I reversed it and picked it up and was holding 115 Volts AC and getting shocked through my leather shoes..... I had NO CLUE.... Dropped it and was still alive. Took it to a Radio Repair Buddy and he explained the facts of LIFE to me about OLD Radios....

For the CX to have PASSED the UL Tests..... It cannot be a Design Problem.... But a Pinched Wire.... YES... OR a House Wiring Problem... Yes...

AL

atldal
03-16-2014, 06:06 PM
So I unplugged the machine to test the outlet and it is fine. I plugged back in the machine and now can't get it to repeat the issue. I will keep an eye on it and let everyone know.

Shane

ktjwilliams
03-23-2014, 07:49 AM
So my post on the subject was removed !!!!! All I said was that this is a problem that shouldn't be messed with ... There should be no issues with a new machine ... These things are made in China not known for the best in quality control ... Pack the machine up and send it back .. CW should have this back so they can check other machines for similar problems before someone gets hurt or worse ...

lynnfrwd
03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Lhr does take this seriously as we don't want anyone in danger, nor do we want there to be an issue with the new machines.

If you read the whole thread, you would see that it was A.) not a severe shock B.) we contacted him C.) it has not happened again and D.) he is happily carving and using his machine.

I think we all know these are put together in China, but each is tested and sent through our own quality assurance testing before sent to the customer.

I deleted your post because I felt it was unnecessary as there does not seem to be an issue with this customers machine or any others and it was you just stirring the pot. It is uncalled for and won't be tolerated.

SteveNelson46
03-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Lhr does take this seriously as we don't want anyone in danger, nor do we want there to be an issue with the new machines.

If you read the whole thread, you would see that it was A.) not a severe shock B.) we contacted him C.) it has not happened again and D.) he is happily carving and using his machine.

I think we all know these are put together in China, but each is tested and sent through our own quality assurance testing before sent to the customer.

I deleted your post because I felt it was unnecessary as there does not seem to be an issue with this customers machine or any others and it was you just stirring the pot. It is uncalled for and won't be tolerated.

I might add that not everything made in China is "cheap junk". There is a lot of "cheap junk" made right here in the U.S.

FWMiller
03-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Quality has more to do with the companies attention to it than where the contract manufacturer is located. As an engineer I've had products manufactured all over the world including China and you get what you put into it. If China itself was the problem then Apple would not be able to maintain its reputation for quality. Yes, there is a lot of junk manufactured in China, but that is usually because the company contracting the manufacturing does not care. I like to buy stuff made in the USA, but I'm going to put my trust in the reputation of the company more than in where they choose to build their product.

SteveNelson46
03-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Quality has more to do with the companies attention to it than where the contract manufacturer is located. As an engineer I've had products manufactured all over the world including China and you get what you put into it. If China itself was the problem then Apple would not be able to maintain its reputation for quality. Yes, there is a lot of junk manufactured in China, but that is usually because the company contracting the manufacturing does not care. I like to buy stuff made in the USA, but I'm going to put my trust in the reputation of the company more than in where they choose to build their product.

I think most opinions of things made in countries other than the USA stems from basic prejudices and an inherent belief that everything made anywhere else is of lesser quality. In the past, the general quality of USA manufacturing was better than most other countries but, to a lesser degree today. Quality manufacturing can be from any manufacturer that chooses to do so and it really doesn't matter what country they are based in. Most manufacturing is done to the specifications of the company or individual that ordered it and their decisions to use that manufacturer or it's products is based mostly on how much quality they want versus retail pricing and profit margins (marketing).

TerryT
03-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Costs to produce products in many countries other than the U.S. are much lower than here. You can choose your favorite reason for that, however, lower cost does not necessarily mean lower quality. Just like here, you get what you pay for I think.

ktjwilliams
03-24-2014, 11:31 AM
Stirring the pot ???? Anyone getting a shock from an electric tool is not a matter of fact thing... There's no stirring the pot, just facts ... New machine, getting shocks, Send it back for testing and repair... The next guy may not get just a MINOR SHOCK.... LHR should try to figure out what was going on for future reference ...

lynnfrwd
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
Stirring the pot ???? Anyone getting a shock from an electric tool is not a matter of fact thing... There's no stirring the pot, just facts ... New machine, getting shocks, Send it back for testing and repair... The next guy may not get just a MINOR SHOCK.... LHR should try to figure out what was going on for future reference ...

He can't even reproduce the problem, so how will we?

ktjwilliams
03-25-2014, 09:54 AM
OK,,, well then all is good with the world again ,,, Maybe it was some stored up static ...

CarverJerry
03-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Were you getting shocked more than once when you touched it? I know we all don't like getting shocked but if it does it again, touch it several times quickly, and if it does shock you try and get a volt meter with one side to a good earth ground and touch the other lead to where you are getting shocked to see if you can get a reading. I would also try running a ground wire from the machine to an earth ground (water pipe would work) in case it is just static build up.

mtylerfl
03-25-2014, 03:14 PM
I never noticed where the OP offered confirmation if he was, or was not, using some type of dust collection. One reader (or two) assumed he was not, but unless I missed something in the postings, I'm not so sure about that. Also, no one asked the OP if he was using a ShopVac to suck out sawdust - the plastic hoses on those baby's will build up thousand of volts of static in the blink of an eye. Doesn't seem to be enough hard-and-fast complete info going on. In any case, he asked his question (if anyone else had this problem) and the answer was "no".

swaggerstick
03-25-2014, 04:10 PM
The outlet could be wired correctly. You need to trace it all the way back to its origin. It could be sliced somewhere, etc. Another idea is to take the machine to a neighbors and test it there. This will keep you from chasing your tail so to speak. It should identify whether the proble is in your shop wiring or the machine. Easy way to isolate it. Good luck and keep us posted.

lynnfrwd
03-25-2014, 04:40 PM
FYI...the customer HAS NOT had an issue with shocking himself in OVER A WEEK!

It does no good to tell him to try this or try that, if it is no longer an issue.

mtylerfl
03-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I still suspect "ShopVac" static.