PDA

View Full Version : Older Software Features

Charles M
02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
If I were to take a design from an older version of the Designer software that had centerline text, offsets, etc., would it open correctly in the newest software without losing those elements? Would the machine carve it correctly?

pkunk
02-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Good question! Why not make a copy of it so you don't chance losing it, and try it?

IM2HAPPI
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Im going to buy it asap / centerline. Would one of you that have centerline type Lambert in and send it to me ? I'll try it in morning.

Kurtsara
02-22-2007, 05:17 PM
If I were to take a design from an older version of the Designer software that had centerline text, offsets, etc., would it open correctly in the newest software without losing those elements? Would the machine carve it correctly?

Yes it will

Rick Devine
02-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I have several MPCs that I made with the "older" version of the trial software that contained the center-line text. They carved just fine. However, if you click on the text to make any changes (re-size, etc.), you will lose the center-line capability.

pkunk
02-22-2007, 05:59 PM
Im going to buy it asap / centerline. Would one of you that have centerline type Lambert in and send it to me ? I'll try it in morning.
Here you go, happy lady. If you'd like a different style of font let me know.

IM2HAPPI
02-22-2007, 06:36 PM
That will work fine TY

mobident
02-22-2007, 10:03 PM
centerline worked fine from the clock you posted,Pkunk.
could copy it to new project as long as no changes made.
Bruce

mtylerfl
02-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Hello,

Is the Centerline add-on available for sale yet? If not, anyone have an ETA?

BobHill
02-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Pkunk,

Unfortunately your LAMBERT.mpc file doesn't necessarily show the Lambert font. On both a PC and MAC, fonts are mostly copyrighted and thus only a few programs (such as CorelDraw with Font Navigator) can use fonts that are NOT installed on the computer that has the program using them. Thus, if someone doesn't own the Lambert font opens that file, it's going to view the centerline cut in a substituted font from what is installed on THEIR machine. For instance I may have the Lambert font (I have thousands of fonts), but if I don't have it active on my system, Designer will use a substitute (substitution in called Panose) font that is installed on my system. Thus what you designed won't be what I see. The only way to make it view as you designed it, is to make a raster (screen capture) of it so someone can see what it looks like, however they can't use it. This is easy for people to forget when using text on their work and offering it as a mpc file for others to use.

Panose usually will, however, try to duplicate the type of font, such as a serif for serif and non-serif with a non-serif that you have. If Designer had a way to convert editable text to a vector path only, the it might work as a transfer, but not if it's kept as text.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Charles M
02-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Pkunk,
If Designer had a way to convert editable text to a vector path only, the it might work as a transfer, but not if it's kept as text.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Bob,

I agree completely about the way the systems and programs handle fonts and substitutions. But isn't Designer converting the font to a vector path when it makes the Centerline as in the Lampert file?

Charles M

BobHill
02-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Charles,

Unfortunately, no, as Designer is using an editable text and not just establishing a path. This means the action is attached to the font being used as it's editable to both changing between the options (raster or vector outline or vector centerline) and that makes it system font dependent. I certainly could be wrong, not really fully knowledgable with the key to Designer, but I've not ever seen an editable text in either vector (even autoCad) that can establish a path that's permanent unless the individual characters are vectored as curves and those no longer text, nor can it be edited as such.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

pkunk
02-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Pkunk,

Unfortunately your LAMBERT.mpc file doesn't necessarily show the Lambert font. On both a PC and MAC, fonts are mostly copyrighted and thus only a few programs (such as CorelDraw with Font Navigator) can use fonts that are NOT installed on the computer that has the program using them. Thus, if someone doesn't own the Lambert font opens that file, it's going to view the centerline cut in a substituted font from what is installed on THEIR machine. For instance I may have the Lambert font (I have thousands of fonts), but if I don't have it active on my system, Designer will use a substitute (substitution in called Panose) font that is installed on my system. Thus what you designed won't be what I see. The only way to make it view as you designed it, is to make a raster (screen capture) of it so someone can see what it looks like, however they can't use it. This is easy for people to forget when using text on their work and offering it as a mpc file for others to use.

Panose usually will, however, try to duplicate the type of font, such as a serif for serif and non-serif with a non-serif that you have. If Designer had a way to convert editable text to a vector path only, the it might work as a transfer, but not if it's kept as text.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida
I know that Bob. I used 'Times' which should be pretty much universal. Regardless, unless modified, it would carve as presented.

Digitalwoodshop
02-23-2007, 07:09 PM
If someone made a centerline text file with a single letter like a "A" or "1", "B" or "2"? Could you select it and move it into your project and position it to make words or address numbers?

A work around until the program upgrade?

AL

BobHill
02-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Pkunk,

It would pay for me to pay attention to the actual way a message was written, wouldn't it. I read that "Lambert" was a font, when in actuality it was the name to be center lined, with no font specified. My "bad", Pkunk. No wonder Times was chosen from my active fonts too<g>.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob

Greybeard
02-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Al - Here's an mpc file with the alphabet (Times caps) set out as individual letters.
See if you can find a workaround as you suggested.
Regards
John

Greybeard
02-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Al - of course another possibility might be for you to set out just the text in your layout, then save that, and send me the file.
I open it, convert to centreline, and send it back.
Possible ?

Regards
John

BoardSilly
02-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Why not just make the older version of Designer available as a download?
Then instead of all the complaining about the lack of centerline, users could temporarily open 2 Designer sessions and create the centerline text in the older version then copy it their newer version MPC design. That would buy some time for CW to get the next release ready. Everyone would be happy.

Charles M
02-24-2007, 04:20 PM
BoardSilly,

I actually have downloaded some of the older versions of Designer from the CarveWright website in the last few days (1.024, 1.029, etc.) but they require a password to install so unless I can obtain that they are useless. My guess is that the part of the software that makes the centerline text is licensed from a 3rd party and they need to charge separately for it to cover that cost.

HandTurnedMaple
02-24-2007, 05:40 PM
If they removed it initially, they had a reason. Either a software issue that no one else seems to know about, or they decided to remove it for resale later. Either way, I don't see LHR releasing older software that will allow for free what they intend to charge for in the near future.

Digitalwoodshop
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Greybeard, Thank you for posting the File. Was gone today and won't get to play until tomorrow. The annual winter olympics here, with some old fashion bed races, beer keg toss, log cutting, 4 man skiing, and lots and lots of beer.... I am a photographer.

I am kind of excited, thinking the text files might work. 911 home number signs will be a big part of my business shortly. It would be good to start making some money to pay for all the toys.....

Also Thank You for the offer to do Centerline Text for me. I am also very grateful to Kurtsara who did send me a file with my requested text in centerline that I played with in designer. When the bits show up I will give it a shot. Thanks Guys !!!

I like the idea of opening the old software too, never thought of that. I agree they might have there reasons that I never though of such as licensing issue.

AL

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Graybeard,

I believe this is the fix for my problem of Centerline Text for now. Can you please add 1 - 0 to the file. I open it as a template, move the letters and numbers around and delete unused letters and your done. Thank You !!!!

Sorry about the delay getting back to you, was pushing a snow blower around all day yesterday and then I opened a eMail attachment quote from Hong Kong for a project I am working on and it killed my other computer.... Lost everything..... Sure glad I did back ups.....
AL

Greybeard
02-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear about the pc.
I take it you're driving the snow blower "with intent" ? We've only got continual light rain -"February fill-dyke" (dyke in Norfolk still means ditch !)

I'll sort out the numerals in a couple of minutes then add them to the thread.

Are you able to change the font after you've imported it and still retain the centreline ?

Regards
John

Charles M
02-27-2007, 10:31 AM
John,

Looks like the individual letters can be resized and moved but not altered in any other way. Thank you very much for posting these!!

Greybeard
02-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Glad to be of help. I just hope I've not put the cat amongst the proverbial pigeons.
As I've now got the file made, I can do a quick font change here if needed.

John

Digitalwoodshop
02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
John,

Yes, it will do what I need. Can be re sized and positioned.

Thank You,

AL

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
John,

When you get a chance can you edit the Text Letters file and add a "K" and a "W" to the file.

Thanks,

AL

Greybeard
03-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Alphabet now complete, but replaced original file.
For some reason I couldn't get the old one to upload with the changes, so I've given it a different file name.
John

Digitalwoodshop
03-01-2007, 07:18 PM
John,

Thanks !!!!

AL