PDA

View Full Version : Carving Centerline in a Path

Don1
03-11-2014, 09:07 PM
My path is an oval which is .375" deep. 3" X 5" area. The wording looks fine on Raster mode but doesn't 'pop' like with Centerline. When I switch to Centerline, the image disappears. How do I make it realize that the surface is .375 deeper than the surface. I'm thinking that Capt'n Bruce has the best idea. When it asks for the 'V' bit, drop it down a bit and take best guess. I am using Designer 1.187. Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Don

dltccf
03-11-2014, 09:15 PM
Do you have conforming vectors? Then click the little conform box and it will place it properly on the .375" deep surface.

dave

bergerud
03-11-2014, 09:33 PM
I assume you do not have conforming vectors. How about make the words a separate project with only the one V bit. When the bit goes to touch the surface, press stop. You will get the option 3) Jog. Now jog to where you want the text and touch there. It should work as long as the carve region is not too deep to lead into a re-find bit error.

ktjwilliams
03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Very interesting ... Didn't know you could do that Dan ...

bergerud
03-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Sure. It will work even if the carve region is deep. Just extend the bit just before the jog to touch. It has to be a one bit project otherwise the machine will use the other bit for the touch.

Don1
03-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Success, Sweet Success! After being held up for days getting proper lumber and with many other interruptions The problem is solved!
I took a 1/4" router bit shaft and went to the hardware store. There I got some milky white tubing that exactly fit the shaft. At home I cut the tubing to exactly 3/8 of an inch (.375). When making the piece, when it asked for the bit, I put the 60 degree vector bit in directly against the cutting assembly. After carving, it asked for the 60 Degree vector bit. I re inserted it again directly against the cutting assembly. When it said "carving" I quickly lifted up the cover stalling the whole process. Then I put that pre-cut tubing piece on the shaft and re attached the bit which was now .375 of an inch longer. Even though the picture shows nothing, it carved perfectly. Many thanks to all who steered me in the right direction.

DickB
03-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Good trick.

RogerB
03-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Don1 nice trick thanks .have to keep that one in the book of tips and tricks.