PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a handle on this layering effect.

NLAlston
03-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Just recently, I happened across a thread which illustrated some very nice sign work done by Rmock, and his wife. That thread is found here; http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25139-this-weeks-projects&highlight=layering

I was so highly impressed with what I saw, that I thought I'd try something similar for some great neighbors of ours. Their names are Craig & Martha Farewell and, I was hoping to achieve the same type of effect which can be seen in the photos at the above link. I have read the October Tips & tricks issue, which showcased the layering technique, but can't seem to get their front names to sit atop the last name. The attached MPC does not show the actual design/fonts that will be used. I just threw something up there to, first, see if I had things working right.

Bigtyme
03-10-2014, 10:45 AM
I believe the height is too large on the Farewell part. I changed it to 50 (from 100) and it all seemed to come out fine...

NLAlston
03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I believe the height is too large on the Farewell part. I changed it to 50 (from 100) and it all seemed to come out fine...

Wow...something as simple as that :). Thank you very much.

jakab
03-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Something was wrong with the Craig and Martha text. I deleted it and re-entered it and all is OK. I also made a group of both text objects and set The Farewell text to be less Height than Craig, 50 and 100 respectively.

Hope that works for you.

...Peter

aokweld101
03-10-2014, 01:01 PM
I did it a little different, Did the base name at .25 and did the top layer at .125 and added a medium merge on both and did a feather on the border.

bjbethke
03-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Just recently, I happened across a thread which illustrated some very nice sign work done by Rmock, and his wife. That thread is found here; http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?25139-this-weeks-projects&highlight=layering

I was so highly impressed with what I saw, that I thought I'd try something similar for some great neighbors of ours. Their names are Craig & Martha Farewell and, I was hoping to achieve the same type of effect which can be seen in the photos at the above link. I have read the October Tips & tricks issue, which showcased the layering technique, but can't seem to get their front names to sit atop the last name. The attached MPC does not show the actual design/fonts that will be used. I just threw something up there to, first, see if I had things working right.

I couldn't read your MPC, I don't plan to buy version 2, I find the 1.187 works OK for me.

I made a PDF to show how I make that type of a Sign; hope this helps BJB

dbemus
03-10-2014, 03:04 PM
I changed Craig and Martha to "additive" merge style instead of "normal" and also changed the height to a higher number. also set draft on Craig and Martha to medium.

NLAlston
03-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Something was wrong with the Craig and Martha text. I deleted it and readied it and all is OK. I also made a group of both text objects and set The Farewell text to be less Height than Craig, 50 and 100 respectively.

Hope that works for you.

...Peter

Yes...I am liking that.

NLAlston
03-11-2014, 09:42 AM
I did it a little different, Did the base name at .25 and did the top layer at .125 and added a medium merge on both and did a feather on the border.

Thanks for yours, too. came out real nice.

NLAlston
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
I couldn't read your MPC, I don't plan to buy version 2, I find the 1.187 works OK for me.

I made a PDF to show how I make that type of a Sign; hope this helps BJB

Thanks for your input on my concern. Your sign looks real good, too, and the instruction sheet is also much appreciated.