PDA

View Full Version : Drifting X-Drive

karns.steve
03-08-2014, 02:14 AM
I have made a sled for scanning, when I measure it, it measures square, with tape measure. I put the sled in the CarveWright to scan something and when going to the second point to set the scan area the x-drive bound up and stripped a x-drive gear. So I ordered the single plate x-drive gear set and since I was going to have so much apart I decided that I would replace the traction belts with the heavy duty ones. While every thing was apart, I cleaned everything, Cut Motor, rails, drive motors, mostly wiping with a clean rag, but some compressed air was used. Everything is back together and now I'm trying to scan again. I get the first and second point set for the scan area and when I go to set the max depth, the x-drive keeps moving ever so slowly with no input on the keypad. The Display is blank and the x drive motor will go until the sled is out from under the compression rollers.

The Sled is tall and long, about 4.5 inches tall and 72 inches long 14.5 inches wide. I am supporting the sled when it is extending passed the CarveWright.

Now that I'm typing this out I remember that I installed the small washer under the board track sensor spring, but removed it because I thought the strong back was bowing upwards with it in there.

It's late, I'm going to sleep this one off and hope someone has some assistance when I wake up. Thank you all very much for your help.

Steve

lynnfrwd
03-08-2014, 07:39 AM
That seems like a very large sled. Is it over 20 lbs? Did you look at the sled build instructions under probe tutorials?

fwharris
03-08-2014, 10:34 AM
I agree with Connie, that seems to be a very large sled. You should put the washer back under the damper spring as it helps raise the tracking sensor so it will not contact the rubber belts. This is what is causing your X drifting.

Make sure when you have the sled installed that the guide plate is not up against the sled to insure it does not bind and strip your X gears.

liquidguitars
03-08-2014, 11:27 AM
the x-drive keeps moving ever so slowly

could be your new belts are hitting the brass aux roller...

karns.steve
03-08-2014, 09:03 PM
I've carved several things today, no problems, so I'm pretty sure it is related to the size/weight of the sled. I didn't work on scanning today, had to catch up on carve orders. Thank you all for your help. I will let you know once I diagnose the drift.

gashawk
03-09-2014, 07:17 PM
That size sled should be ran through a surface jointer and planer. I've got one as big for gun barrels. I put legs on the sled and let the CarveWright move back and forth. That didn't work very well either. The gears seem to be the shear pin.