PDA

View Full Version : Turn Grain Off For Good.

unitedcases
03-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I hope this isnt a silly question, I know, a question never asked... Is there a way to turn the grain off for good? I know you can turn it off each time you open a project but is there a way to completely turn it off. I do a ton of proofs and find myself explaining that it is a digital picture and so on and so forth...

myshop1044
03-07-2014, 06:31 PM
I did read some where on the forum that you could add different types of wood shade, seems like there would be a way
to turn off the wood shades, I'm with you.

bergerud
03-07-2014, 06:41 PM
I think you just have to go into the C:\Program Files\CarveWright\woods1 sub directory and replace the pine with your own jpg.

tcough3475
03-07-2014, 09:37 PM
If you replace/add a jpg as bergerud said, you can make it the default by going into board settings and select the stain/finish tab. Select the board you want then before exiting, check the "set as default" box. It should then always use that board color when starting a new project.

unitedcases
03-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Well, its not letting me change the jpg.

tcough3475
03-07-2014, 10:33 PM
Make sure your jpg is 512x512 and has the same naming convention as the others in the directory.

bergerud
03-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Well, its not letting me change the jpg.

Just use paint to open Pine_Natural.jpg and alter it however you like and save it.

SteveNelson46
03-07-2014, 11:30 PM
I hope this isnt a silly question, I know, a question never asked... Is there a way to turn the grain off for good? I know you can turn it off each time you open a project but is there a way to completely turn it off. I do a ton of proofs and find myself explaining that it is a digital picture and so on and so forth...

Here is how I did it:
Start a new project in the Designer and set the wood color to "None"
Use a screen capture program (I use SnagIt) to capture a portion of the wood making sure you only capture the solid color and no borders or background.
Open the captured file in a photo editor that allows you to set the size and resolution (I use Photoshop)
Set the image size to 512 pixels by 512 pixels and the resolution to 72
Save the file as "Default_Natural.jpg" (don't forget the underscore) in the c:\program files(x86)\carvewright\woods1 folder (use c:\program files(x86)\carvewright2\woods1 for Version 2.xx)
Open or create a new project in Designer.
Select "Edit, Board Settings, Stain/Finish and select the Default-Natural board example (Surface and Core for Designer 2.xx) and check the "set as default" box

unitedcases
03-07-2014, 11:32 PM
That's pretty much how I did it steve. What was messing everything up was that underscore. Good now. Thanks all.

SteveNelson46
03-07-2014, 11:40 PM
That's pretty much how I did it steve. What was messing everything up was that underscore. Good now. Thanks all.

I think you need the "Natural" also. The first word before the underscore can be anything.

SteveNelson46
03-07-2014, 11:45 PM
You can also take a picture of your own wood and include it in the list of wood options using this same procedure.