PDA

View Full Version : MARCH 2014 Project of the Month - The "Punched Tin" Water Closet Caddy!

mtylerfl
03-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Hello,

This compact floor cabinet caddy features a “punched tin” design on the door fronts for a nostalgic appearance, and provides an attractive and convenient way to store bathroom necessities, as well! The final version of the prototype sample is stained and sealed overall, then the “tin” door front areas are painted with a metallic silver color by dabbing on silver paint using a “magic eraser” as the applicator! (You may choose to bypass the silver paint step, as it still looks great without it.)

All components are carved and cut out using just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required.
The completed project is about is about 7" wide x 6" deep x 25.75" tall.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• LEFT_Side.mpc
• RIGHT_Side.mpc
• Shelves_and_Top.mpc
• Long_Door.mpc
• Short_Door-and-Skirt.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Right & Left Sides: 0.75" x 7" x 33" (Two)
Shelves & Top: 0.75" x 7" x 27"
Long Door: 0.75" x 8" x 25"
Short Door & Skirt: 0.75" x 8" x 15.5"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) Sheet of .125" thick (up to .25" thick) hardboard 6.375"wide x 25.25" tall, a dozen-or-so #18 x 5/8" small nails/brads

4) Hinges, two 6mm x3mm neodymium magnets (about .25" dia. x .125" thick ), two knobs, epoxy, wood glue, sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my own “Water Closet Caddy” made from Select Pine:

• Applied Rust-Oleum Golden Mahogany stain. Apply liberally on the doors so the stain gets thoroughly into all the holes. Flip the board over and “tap” it several times to force the excess stain out of the holes. Wipe the surface again.

• Several coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac

• Several light coats of Krylon Clear gloss acrylic spray

• Applied Sculpt Nouveau Silver B metallic paint after the stain and clearcoats had dried thoroughly. I dabbed on Sculpt Nouveau Silver B metallic paint on the “tin” areas of each door, with a small piece of “magic eraser’ sponge (no soap, smooth version). See the project PDF instructions for details.

Bigtyme
03-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Great project, Michael. Very innovative with the punch tin design. It has a great country look and would fit well in a number of settings...Another hit!!

mtylerfl
03-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Great project, Michael. Very innovative with the punch tin design. It has a great country look and would fit well in a number of settings...Another hit!!

Thanks, John!

mtylerfl
03-06-2014, 04:10 PM
I took photos of the caddy before I painted on the "tin" area. Debated whether to post those in the PDF and finally decided not to. I may post a couple photos of the non-painted version if anyone is interested in seeing those!

cestout
03-06-2014, 05:28 PM
faux punched tin - novel and great idea.
Clint

aokweld101
03-06-2014, 05:53 PM
another GOOD one !

mtylerfl
03-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Thanks again, all! Hope you enjoy it!

lynnfrwd
03-07-2014, 05:42 PM
It has been posted and sent, but you will not be able to use it until in the morning. Sorry.

Connie

dbemus
03-08-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks Michael for another really imaginative and quality project. Downloaded this morning and wood already cut. CW will be carving shortly! Making one for home and one for summer home. :p

SteveNelson46
03-08-2014, 09:41 AM
Nice project Michael. I've been thinking about making one of these for a long time. Now I don't have to. I'll just use yours.

lynnfrwd
03-08-2014, 11:07 AM
I recently bought one for my "water closet" not near as nice. :(

mtylerfl
03-08-2014, 08:31 PM
My wife loves the one I made and has put it in one of our guest 'water closets'! She also placed an order for another one for the master bath. My client (wife) has specified the cabinet be painted white to match the master bath cabinets, pillars and moldings, etc. Still will have the "tin" areas silver. I may do "shabby-chic" white finish, but need to check with my customer first!