PDA

View Full Version : How do we round the sides of a rectangle?

Foggycarver
03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
We are designing a box (our first) and really like the rounded edges on the sides of the ornamental box that came as a free project with our machine. I have read and watched tutorials until I'm cross eyed. Is there a trick to getting this nice effect? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! :)

DocWheeler
03-02-2014, 10:57 AM
No idea why this has gone unanswered.
Maybe I'm not understanding the question.
But, I think you are asking about "Select Surface".

67919 It is the button next to Carve Regions.

You will get a window where you select Domes.
From there you select the type of surface you want.

This example is a top dome where I set the values to .75 and 999.
You can also invert the surface for different effects.

67920 67921

I hope that this helps.

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm having a little trouble with this, I had the same thought when I first started the carvewright but could not figure it out... If you was wanting to make a 11.5 x 4.5 side of a box with just the ends arched I'm not understanding how to go about using the select surface tool maybe I'm starting off wrong ... maybe little bit more insight would help me. this is the way I tried to start.

fwharris
03-02-2014, 05:41 PM
Using sweep rounded tool

RogerB
03-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Floyd that works for the one's with that software how do you do it if you do not have sweep.:) The old way.?Gray Scale

DocWheeler
03-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Create a region, draw a rectangle the size of the curve you want, select Surface (left dome in this example), and adjust as desired.
Using version 2.??? is easier as Floyd has shown, but you can do it in 1.8??.

RogerB
03-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Thanks Doc beat me to it.

SteveNelson46
03-02-2014, 06:14 PM
We are designing a box (our first) and really like the rounded edges on the sides of the ornamental box that came as a free project with our machine. I have read and watched tutorials until I'm cross eyed. Is there a trick to getting this nice effect? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks! :)

I'd love to help with this but, I updated some motherboard drivers and now I can't open Designer. Says I need to register the program and there are "0" days left in the evaluation. I tried to register but the website says I'm out of licenses. I can't even work on my own projects until tomorrow when the CW office opens. GRRRR

I might add that I'm not having ANY issues with any other program. Only the Designer.

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 06:21 PM
I done the sweep rounded and got the same results the problem with that Floyd is that it all on the edges of the board are rounded I think were trying to get just the right and left sides of the board...

eelamb
03-02-2014, 06:23 PM
Doc showed the way using any version. It will work with 1.18x or 2.x. Now here is something to try. It uses the same technique but reverses the domes. This can be made to suite your desired depth, width, and height of the center section. Using the domes will give you many optional layouts for the sides of a box.

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 06:47 PM
I have to play with the sweep to see the results can't never figure out to go from what line to what line I know the green line is outside the pattern ...white line is the edge of the board and the red line is the center of the pattern I made this as a illustration of what I was wanting but just the right and left side. thank you guys for helping us out..

Foggycarver
03-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Create a region, draw a rectangle the size of the curve you want, select Surface (left dome in this example), and adjust as desired.
Using version 2.??? is easier as Floyd has shown, but you can do it in 1.8??.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys. Doc, I think I was on a similar though pattern but I had trouble getting them to become one piece. I keep getting a cut between the carve region and the arched part. I realize this is probably some obvious newbie mistake but I'm a little lost here. This is what I keep getting

fwharris
03-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Floyd that works for the one's with that software how do you do it if you do not have sweep.:) The old way.?Gray Scale

Roger, yes one could do the profile in another program and import in as a pattern. I think there are several posts on this.

fwharris
03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I done the sweep rounded and got the same results the problem with that Floyd is that it all on the edges of the board are rounded I think were trying to get just the right and left sides of the board...

You can do this with using lines on the ends and the sweep tool.

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
Doc thank you, it was the last post you done that made me see the light......:p

CW-HAL9000
03-02-2014, 07:14 PM
I think this is what you want in 1.87, It is just like doc said but I want to add that when you first set the dome you also need to set the height at .999 to bring it up to match the rest of the piece on the high dome side.

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Floyd more input please... it will give me a better idea on how to attack it...

fwharris
03-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Floyd more input please... it will give me a better idea on how to attack it...

I added one line to your mpc to show you..

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 07:35 PM
Foggycarver, make the pattern to the size you want it, get the white line off the pattern to where it just has the black dots... make two rectangulars on the ends to the size you want the dome do the left side texture.. select left texture and then go to the other box and do the right texture click off the two smaller rectangle to where there not white then click on your big rectangle the white shows up and do your cut out...

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Floyd, put a line segment .75 in from the other white line ?

fwharris
03-02-2014, 08:11 PM
Floyd, put a line segment .75 in from the other white line ?

You are correct! or however big you want the box to be....

DocWheeler
03-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas guys. Doc, I think I was on a similar though pattern but I had trouble getting them to become one piece. I keep getting a cut between the carve region and the arched part. I realize this is probably some obvious newbie mistake but I'm a little lost here. This is what I keep getting
Same problem I had last month; take out the "Add", make them "Normal".

aokweld101
03-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Floyd, I attempted it doesn't do right when I press the finish button it gets all missed up....:(

SteveNelson46
03-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Make a rectangle. Use "Extrude" to round the corner on one end. Mirror it horizontally. Select both. Make the rectangle a cut path.

aokweld101
03-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Make a rectangle. Use "Extrude" to round the corner on one end. Mirror it horizontally. Select both. Make the rectangle a cut path.

Thanks Steve, I have had this machine 18 months and never used the extrude button, You just never know, I now know how to do this in two different ways...awesome...Thanks Doc and Steve... I'm still trying to learn how to do it in the sweep mode still don't understand how to get it...lol

SteveNelson46
03-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Thanks Steve, I have had this machine 18 months and never used the extrude button, You just never know, I now know how to do this in two different ways...awesome...Thanks Doc and Steve... I'm still trying to learn how to do it in the sweep mode still don't understand how to get it...lol

As a welder I'm sure you know that it's all about the right tool for the job. The sweep tool will make a sweep around the entire perimeter of the rectangle and probably the tool to use if you wanted rounded corners on all four edges (see example). The extrude tool only goes in one direction and stops. I suppose you could use the rail sweep but, that could get complicated. The other methods of using the pre-3D tools may work also but, it is by far easier using extrude. I did both examples in less than 5 minutes. The right tool for the job.

aokweld101
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
I think the sweep tool is not the way to do it ....I know how to do it in two easier ways....thanks gents.....As a welder there are three things to know as you said... right tool for the job...keep hands away from moving parts....and if you don't follow those two rules ....if your gonna be stupid you gotta be tough...:D

Digitalwoodshop
03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
Something to put in your back pocket when working with the rounded corner project... I have had them do the Micky Mouse Ear thing when trying to change sizes. I get the object the correct size and roundness. I make it a carve region of shallow depth then use the Outline Tool on the Carve Region. I delete the Carve Region and the first outline and use the 2nd one.

Just a FYI as it works for me...

Nice Project....

AL

The Ask Bud Video put me on the best way to round the corners in Designer.

SteveNelson46
03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Something to put in your back pocket when working with the rounded corner project... I have had them do the Micky Mouse Ear thing when trying to change sizes. I get the object the correct size and roundness. I make it a carve region of shallow depth then use the Outline Tool on the Carve Region. I delete the Carve Region and the first outline and use the 2nd one.

Just a FYI as it works for me...

Nice Project....

AL

The Ask Bud Video put me on the best way to round the corners in Designer.

Here is a link to a short video (no sound) on how I round the corners on a rectangle. Sometimes you have to use "Attach" on the inserted vertices to keep them from moving around.

For this project though, I think rounding the entire edge was the goal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0jR3LNRxqJeUXRTUDY2a25uNmc/edit?usp=sharing

Digitalwoodshop
03-03-2014, 03:20 PM
Thanks Steve !!!

AL