PDA

View Full Version : chip carving

jackh
02-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Is the CW machine capable of chip carving? If so, how is it done?
thank you Jack

lynnfrwd
02-28-2014, 09:37 AM
thank you Jack

Not yet....

mtylerfl
02-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Not yet....

my words exactly...;)

For now, you can simulate a chip carve. There was a recent thread on the subject. Some convoluted info in that thread (techniques presented that weren't really going to yield a true-chip carving effect), but others (like converting a design to a font and carving it with Centerline Text) would get a nice simulation.

tcough3475
02-28-2014, 10:25 AM
You might be able to get a good carving using the Select Depth Profile tool and a 60/90 degree V-bit. Not a chip carver, but it might get you what you're after.

jackh
02-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Is the inability of the CW machine to chip carve due to a hardware or software limitation?

lynnfrwd
02-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Is the inability of the CW machine to chip carve due to a hardware or software limitation?

Software, I believe.

Ton80
02-28-2014, 12:47 PM
Yes, it would be software as many of us know we can get chip carving type results through Centerline and fonts. So the machine is capable and it's just a matter of the software having the ability to handle the process without jumping through the hoops of using fonts.

I wonder how far off this capability is? From all the little hints that keep getting dropped I imagine we are going to finally see support for more v-carve abilities. I also wonder how many plugins and upgrades will be required to get that ability.

Honestly, if you are looking to do this type of carving you might be better waiting because the font software you need will probably run you a few hundred not to mention the hoops you have to learn to jump through. If LHR is going to add the support within their software then save your pennies for that because I am sure it's going to mean upgrading to 2.x and at least one other plugin from previous hints... I suspect DXF. SO I would assume it's going to be roughly a $400 investment to get the abilities... if it works, it will be worth it IMO

cestout
02-28-2014, 12:48 PM
I have collected but not yet used several chip carve patterns here on the forum. They look good in designer, but will not have a sharp cut at the bottom.
Clint

bjbethke
02-28-2014, 05:20 PM

I like to use my Font Creator program to make my ChipCarving PTN files and use centerline with the 60 degree bit.

I use black and white drawings, only the black lines carve.

You need to load the Font to see the pattern.

SteveNelson46
02-28-2014, 05:32 PM
thank you Jack

The only way I know of to achieve a chip carved effect with the Designer is to create a pattern in a 3rd party program such as Art-Cam Pro or Aspire and export it as an STL. I'm pretty sure most of the patterns in the Pattern Depot were created like this. When it comes to professional CNC routing these guys are the heavy hitters. I hope some day the Designer will be capable of some of the things these programs can do now.

eelamb
02-28-2014, 10:32 PM
Here is a chip carving I carved (name is centerline). The points came out very good even though it is a raster carve using the 1/16" bit. Other images are of a repeating chip pattern I had made. One is with the pattern copied twice, one with two repeats, the other is copied 4 times. (this was designed for tiles)Last is showing another example of what can be done with it.

Edit: the chip caring patterns were made using Moi3D.

jackh
03-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Thank you all, you are very creative and do great work.
Jack

blantz
03-01-2014, 08:04 AM
I too have been working on a chip carve. Not getting the results with designer I went to 3D cad program and have been working on this chip carve. I have not carved it yet, it appears to look good in designer.

jackh
03-01-2014, 08:32 AM
What CAD program did you use? I am currently taking an AutoCAD class from AutoDesk at Palomar College in San Marcos, CA.

blantz
03-01-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm using AutoDesk123D beta. I have tried several other programs, they had a learning curve that I was not able to comprehend. This program seems intuitive to me.

jackh
03-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks I'll try it.