PDA

View Full Version : Center drill holes on or in a triangle?

Woodpecker
02-26-2014, 01:02 PM
67819Help. I have a project with a 5.5" circle and need 3 ea 1/4" hole at the vertex of the triangle of 4.25".
The angles equal 60 degrees and I don't know if there is a button to push and confirm the 1/4" drill holes to be exact on the triangle
vertex 3 Points. The drawing is a scan from the CW. This the best available at this time.
I have no idea why I am doing this, it is one old hour glass with wood and I want to cut new top and base then replace with three brass rods using brass cap nuts. When done a photo will follow. Woodpecker

fwharris
02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
I think I have it. First thing I did was to toggle off the perspective view. After drawing out the triangle and setting the length to 4.250 I did the .250 drill hole. I then selected both the triangle and drill hole so that they showed up on the board. Zoomed to board up as close as it would go and then I moved the drill hole to the corner of the triangle. When it was aligned in noted a "green" star.

I did try setting up the grid but could not find the correct interval for the spacing.

bergerud
02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
A neat trick for aligning objects is to use the points on a snap grid even if the object does not fit on the grid. For example, snap the drill holes on the grid near where they should be. Move the triangle so a vertex snaps to the same point as the drill. Now move the triangle and the drill as you line up another vertex with the next drill. Now move the two drills and the triangle to snap the third vertex to where the third drill is. Now all the drills are exactly on the vertices because they were snapped there.

fwharris
02-26-2014, 02:13 PM
A neat trick for aligning objects is to use the points on a snap grid even if the object does not fit on the grid. For example, snap the drill holes on the grid near where they should be. Move the triangle so a vertex snaps to the same point as the drill. Now move the triangle and the drill as you line up another vertex with the next drill. Now move the two drills and the triangle to snap the third vertex to where the third drill is. Now all the drills are exactly on the vertices because they were snapped there.

Good idea!!

Woodpecker
02-26-2014, 02:32 PM
Fantastic. I can't wait to get into it. I will look for that green star. I tried the grid also.
Wow that was fast. Thanks!
Woodpecker

tcough3475
02-26-2014, 02:36 PM

I'll have to remember this trick, it would have helped more than once on a couple projects I put together.

Woodpecker
02-27-2014, 06:54 AM
Great information to keep. Now if you can help me remember how to spell isosceles my day will be complete.

SteveNelson46
02-27-2014, 05:34 PM
I think I have it. First thing I did was to toggle off the perspective view. After drawing out the triangle and setting the length to 4.250 I did the .250 drill hole. I then selected both the triangle and drill hole so that they showed up on the board. Zoomed to board up as close as it would go and then I moved the drill hole to the corner of the triangle. When it was aligned in noted a "green" star.

I did try setting up the grid but could not find the correct interval for the spacing.

You could always just use the "Attach" tool to attach the center of the drill hole to the same distances from a vertical and horizontal edge as each of the triangle vertices

Woodpecker
03-09-2014, 07:38 PM
680456804668047Perfect for DST Then time is only?
This is IF I ? with the broken hour glass. Then a perfect fit with the CW and brass cut to length with the hand cut threads on 1/4" rod and brass acorn nuts for a wonderful display of NO TIME. Well perhaps without a measurement we have more time than expected?
67819Help. I have a project with a 5.5" circle and need 3 ea 1/4" hole at the vertex of the triangle of 4.25".
The angles equal 60 degrees and I don't know if there is a button to push and confirm the 1/4" drill holes to be exact on the triangle
vertex 3 Points. The drawing is a scan from the CW. This the best available at this time.
I have no idea why I am doing this, it is one old hour glass with wood and I want to cut new top and base then replace with three brass rods using brass cap nuts. When done a photo will follow. Woodpecker[/QUOTE]