PDA

View Full Version : Back of Adirondack chair

Canemaker
02-23-2014, 05:10 PM
Here is my newest carving. Yes it is cut into 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch splices... I will place them on
a semi-circle frame to frame out the back of an Adirondack chair like my last one (see completed and think of
this back on it). I haven't decided whether or not I should paint it accordingly to the original family crest
then apply a spar varnish or just varnish. I carved this in cedar to go outside and it took 3.5 hours on best with little clean up.
Not counting the two hours and numerous changes to the board size and brain farts since I haven't used my machine in quite a while.

No the carvings isn't crooked it my photography skills of holding the camera on an angle or maybe it's me not
standing straight (I seem to lean more and more the older I get)

I was able to bring out all my wood working machines out into the sunlight today and make lots of sawdust.
It was a beautiful 79 degrees today... but just wait it will probably be cold tomorrow.

RogerB
02-23-2014, 06:43 PM
Very nice. 79 hum 3 feet of snow here still.

Smoken D
02-24-2014, 08:41 AM
23 degrees here, dang, oh and by the way looks great and wonderful job on the chair!

SteveNelson46
02-24-2014, 12:41 PM
23 degrees here, dang, oh and by the way looks great and wonderful job on the chair!

Yes, nice job on the chair.

I hate to seem like I'm bragging but, (well, maybe just a little) it's mostly sunny here with an expected high of 81 degrees.

Bigtyme
02-24-2014, 01:14 PM
The chair really came out well. Nice job. I received this picture from a friend who lives not too far from where I grew up and spend a lot of time...even in the winter :)

James RS
02-24-2014, 05:14 PM
Great job, 2 questions. Is this on the back of the chair facing away
Also where did you find the coat of arms artwork?

Here is my newest carving. Yes it is cut into 3 inch and 2 1/2 inch splices... I will place them on
a semi-circle frame to frame out the back of an Adirondack chair like my last one (see completed and think of
this back on it). I haven't decided whether or not I should paint it accordingly to the original family crest
then apply a spar varnish or just varnish. I carved this in cedar to go outside and it took 3.5 hours on best with little clean up.
Not counting the two hours and numerous changes to the board size and brain farts since I haven't used my machine in quite a while.

No the carvings isn't crooked it my photography skills of holding the camera on an angle or maybe it's me not
standing straight (I seem to lean more and more the older I get)

I was able to bring out all my wood working machines out into the sunlight today and make lots of sawdust.
It was a beautiful 79 degrees today... but just wait it will probably be cold tomorrow.

Ton80
02-24-2014, 06:35 PM
That is a great idea. I used to make adirondack chairs. Actually "Jakes Chair " if you ever saw those plans floating around the internet. I frequently thought about incorporating some carving work into the seat runner or the back slats like you did. Looks really nice. Great looking chair also!

Canemaker
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
James RS, to answer your questions:

1. The completed chair in the picture was the one I made my parents for Christmas last year... however, the only thing my siblings had to
say was where was the other chair.... Working full time I was only able to make the one chair... My initial plan was to carve the family crest
into the back of the chair, but I didn't have the pattern until after Christmas.. So the other chair will have this carving as you see the chair from
the front. I laid up against the back and remarkably couldn't feel the carving in my back... I will fill out the sides and the top of the back with additional
pieces of cedar.

2. As far as the pattern, ... I contacted Alan Malmstrom here on the forum and sent him a camera ready copy of my family crest and he did an excellent
job making it into a pattern... I tried using both the 2d and 3d software packages, but I was embarrassed of my creations and decided to go with an expert..

Ton80
02-25-2014, 07:13 AM
Alan has made me a pattern in the past and I will use him again whenever I need something I can't come up with through the store or on my own. He does a great job! That is a really nice pattern he made for your family coat of arms!

James RS
02-25-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, and it is a great job love it.

James RS, to answer your questions:

1. The completed chair in the picture was the one I made my parents for Christmas last year... however, the only thing my siblings had to
say was where was the other chair.... Working full time I was only able to make the one chair... My initial plan was to carve the family crest
into the back of the chair, but I didn't have the pattern until after Christmas.. So the other chair will have this carving as you see the chair from
the front. I laid up against the back and remarkably couldn't feel the carving in my back... I will fill out the sides and the top of the back with additional
pieces of cedar.

2. As far as the pattern, ... I contacted Alan Malmstrom here on the forum and sent him a camera ready copy of my family crest and he did an excellent
job making it into a pattern... I tried using both the 2d and 3d software packages, but I was embarrassed of my creations and decided to go with an expert..