PDA

View Full Version : Can PE handle this job?

NLAlston
02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
First, ido not have PE yet. I am yet awaiting it, along with the scanning probe, and they should be coming in very shortly. But, following, is the scenario that I question about:

Say that a client has a small carved facing (such as a Rosetta, or similar) on a furniture piece, which he/she would like to have duplicated. The problem would be that the carving has a small crack in it. Is there a way that the concerned element could be scanned in, with PE having the capability to fill/mold the crack effectively enough to make the part look as complete as it did before the cracking took place?

I may be totally in left field,with this question, but you never know unless you ask.

Advanced thanks,
Nathan

Geomoo1
02-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Long story short... Yes.

fwharris
02-21-2014, 02:04 PM
As long as you can take the furniture apart so you can put the piece in the scanning sled to be scanned.

NLAlston
02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Ok, I researched a bit more, and found something which kinda touched on what I am looking for. Under the 'Tips and Tricks' section (Pattern Editor - episode III - pg.5) the author describes how he dealt with a dent/divot of a pattern that was being worked on. This was pretty impressive, but I am still wondering if the process would work on somewhat larger areas in need of repair?

NLAlston
02-21-2014, 02:32 PM
As long as you can take the furniture apart so you can put the piece in the scanning sled to be scanned.

Most certainly ��.

It is SO good to know that PE is so featured to handle such a task. I am left to wonder as to how many other goodies lay under the hood of that program. And I can't WAIT to get my hands on it.

fwharris
02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I think, could be wrong you know, that you can try the pattern editor in trial mode. From the "file" command go down to "launch patter editor".

Geomoo1
02-21-2014, 06:53 PM
I would venture a guess that a lot (if not most) of the scanning probes sold are never or very seldom used. They only wanted the pattern editor program.

NLAlston
02-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Didn't even think of that. Thanks.

NLAlston
02-21-2014, 07:09 PM
I would venture a guess that a lot (if not most) of the scanning probes sold are never or very seldom used. They only wanted the pattern editor program.

You are, quite likely, right about that. But I, for one, am surely going to put it to the task as SOON as I get it. I don't envision it becoming a frequent part of my carving operations, but am sure that it will serve a good purpose, from time to time. In my case, it was only $11.06 more than the software, itself, so I look upon it as a no-brainier ��.

aokweld101
02-21-2014, 07:42 PM
I have the scanning probe and haven't even took it out of the box I have it licensed in case I ever have to use it, but the need hasn't risen yet.

FWMiller
02-22-2014, 12:08 PM
In my case, it was only $11.06 more than the software, itself, so I look upon it as a no-brainier ��.

When was this? I guess they fixed that because now it's $100 more.

NLAlston
02-22-2014, 07:06 PM
When was this? I guess they fixed that because now it's $100 more.

It was on the 8th of this month, when I ordered my software/probe package ($211.06), with an ETA for February 10th. It was a special order, and I am still awaiting it. The other day, I received a call regarding my order, and an apology was given, by the caller. It seems that the delay was, mainly, due to their uncertainty as to which version I needed. I informed that mine was the 'C' machine, and she promised that the order would be shipped that day.

Someone, here, had posted about Lowes having that package for less than the original cost of it. I had also found info that Lowes was discontinuing sales of the Carvewright. When I did visit their site - and saw that the package I desired was, indeed, selling for less - I assumed that the lesser cost was for the purpose of facilitating quick depletion of items that they would no longer be carrying. I just assumed that Lowes would not continue to carry associated elements of a parent machine that was no longer being made available, through them. Maybe Lowes WILL be selling the Carvewright, though - just not the 'C' machines, owing only to the fact that the 'CX' versions have taken their place.

But I very anxiously await the arrival of my package, and hope it gets here soon ��.

NLAlston
02-22-2014, 07:42 PM
I have the scanning probe and haven't even took it out of the box I have it licensed in case I ever have to use it, but the need hasn't risen yet.

Yes (and according to posts I have read), it seems that the probe doesn't see very much action, with their respective owners. But, in my case, there are already so many things that I have in mind for it. It will DEFINITELY get a whole lot of service time, in MY shop :).

NLAlston
02-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Latest ETA is for the 25th (tomorrow). Hopefully, there are to be no further delays. My next quest (as soon as is affordable) will be to outfit myself with ALL of the Carvewright software components. I am going to go 'full swing' with my machine.

kcc2012
02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
I use my scanning probe less often then I would like to but I have used it to scan in a couple antique items for reproduction at my Church which is over 175 years old and a historical land mark. Im just waiting on the go ahead from the priest. I sure hope you get your order soon.

NLAlston
02-24-2014, 11:02 AM
J
I use my scanning probe less often then I would like to but I have used it to scan in a couple antique items for reproduction at my Church which is over 175 years old and a historical land mark. Im just waiting on the go ahead from the priest. I sure hope you get your order soon.

Thanks. And, me too (hopes of getting it soon).

Let me ask a question, though. Did you find that your scanning that antique part caused some degree of ruination of the original? I have read some complaints about the probe damaging scanned elements, and this is a concern - in the event tht I get a client who wishes to have an antique piece replicated. I think that I saw where they (LHR) had plastic sheaths for the probe which (I assume) were manufactured for the express purpose of minimizing same.

mtylerfl
02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
J

Thanks. And, me too (hopes of getting it soon).

Let me ask a question, though. Did you find that your scanning that antique part caused some degree of ruination of the original? I have read some complaints about the probe damaging scanned elements, and this is a concern - in the event tht I get a client who wishes to have an antique piece replicated. I think that I saw where they (LHR) had plastic sheaths for the probe which (I assume) were manufactured for the express purpose of minimizing same.

Hello,

Take a read of the following Tips & Tricks regarding scanning valuable objects and suggestions...

ISSUE 9 June 2008 – Scanning Probe Techniques (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Jun08.pdf)

I describe in the article how to make a negative mold and casting using very inexpensive materials. Those often work just fine. However, I also use Smooth-On products ( http://www.smooth-on.com/) for creating archive-quality molds and castings for some scanning projects where I cannot scan the original. The main two Smooth-On products I use for mold making and casting are:

Mold Star 15 Slow (http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1341/index.html) (Platinum Silicon Rubber) and sometimes the Mold Star 30 for a more rigid master
Smooth-Cast 300 ( (http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1209/index.html)Fast-setting White plastic) - I mean FAST!! As soon as you mix the two parts you must pour it into your mold "right now"!

It is a process that I don't have a lot of time to describe to you at the moment, but the Smooth-On website has a ton of video tutorials on the subject (that's I learned how to do it, so you can too!). I did an entire presentation of this topic at a CNC Software Conference last October.

FWMiller
02-24-2014, 12:33 PM
It was on the 8th of this month, when I ordered my software/probe package ($211.06), with an ETA for February 10th. It was a special order, and I am still awaiting it. The other day, I received a call regarding my order, and an apology was given, by the caller. It seems that the delay was, mainly, due to their uncertainty as to which version I needed. 😄.

I did not think to check at Lowe's. The price is still the same. Thinking of ordering one myself now......

CW-HAL9000
02-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Testors gluing tips work great for covering the probe and reducing damage. They are $1.99 for 5 at hobby lobby. remember to always wear protection when probing! LOL!

NLAlston
02-27-2014, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=CW-HAL9000;222402]Testors gluing tips work great for covering the probe and reducing damage. They are $1.99 for 5 at hobby lobby. remember to always wear protection when probing! LOL!

Thanks. I will check them out, at one of our local hobby outlets.

CW-HAL9000
02-27-2014, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=CW-HAL9000;222402]Testors gluing tips work great for covering the probe and reducing damage. They are $1.99 for 5 at hobby lobby. remember to always wear protection when probing! LOL!

Thanks. I will check them out, at one of our local hobby outlets.

Your very welcome.

SteveNelson46
02-27-2014, 10:02 PM
Testors gluing tips work great for covering the probe and reducing damage. They are $1.99 for 5 at hobby lobby. remember to always wear protection when probing! LOL!

LHR sells the probe protectors. I ordered some a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, it cost more to have them shipped than the retail price. Also, you will lose a little in the precision when you use them.

EDIT: They want $14.99 plus shipping.

http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=284

CW-HAL9000
02-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Yes Steve the shipping alone was $12 that's why I use the testers probes they work very well.

SteveNelson46
02-27-2014, 10:11 PM
Yes Steve the shipping alone was $12 that's why I use the testers probes they work very well.

It was a while back that I ordered them and I think I ordered a bunch of other stuff at the same time to save on the shipping. As I mentioned earlier, you will lose some precision. I don't know if the tester probes are larger or smaller or how they will affect the precision.

CW-HAL9000
02-28-2014, 12:33 AM
It was a while back that I ordered them and I think I ordered a bunch of other stuff at the same time to save on the shipping. As I mentioned earlier, you will lose some precision. I don't know if the tester probes are larger or smaller or how they will affect the precision.

I have only used the tester probes so I can't compare .

CW-HAL9000
02-28-2014, 10:21 AM
I have only used the tester probes so I can't compare Last edited by lynnfrwd (http://forum.carvewright.com/posthistory.php?p=222763); 2 Hours Ago at 06:23 AM. .
LOL edited out my comments about shipping charges being too high! I need to learn to get off my soap box. (the soap box was carved on my CW)

lynnfrwd
02-28-2014, 10:30 AM
LOL edited out my comments about shipping charges being too high! I need to learn to get off my soap box. (the soap box was carved on my CW)

Do not engage in disruptive posting behavior: Users are expected to refrain from "trolling"
threads and to post with some level of maturity. Trolling posts include the following actions with the
purpose of causing a disturbance in the community:
− Posts of outrageous nature with the sole aim of baiting people to answer
− Posts that generally sow discord on the forum
− Posts that inspire heated rhetoric
− Posts that are pointless, offensive, or annoying
− Posts where the instigator purposely plays “dumb” so as to incite the rest of the forum
− Posts with the sole purpose of disparaging the company, product or associated people

Not to mention OFF TOPIC...

cestout
02-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Press modeling clay over the carving and use that to make a plaster copy that your can scan. You can possible fix the crack in the plaster copy.
Clint

NLAlston
02-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Press modeling clay over the carving and use that to make a plaster copy that your can scan. You can possible fix the crack in the plaster copy.
Clint

Thanks.

I do not have an actual job of that, at present hand. I raised that scenario in the event that such a task did surface, at some future point. But your suggestion is, none the less, important to me - as it is knowledge that i will have If, and when such a task DOES come about.

Thanks, again.