PDA

View Full Version : Sounds Like a Turkey

Foggycarver
02-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Well this is my first official project being a newbie. I have to say making this turkey call was too much fun. I have to thank Floyd, and Dan again for all the help and advice. The run out on this call was only a few thousands of an inch and for working with wood this is perfect. I chucked it up on the lathe and ran an indicator on it and was amazed on how circularity was concentric in relationship to the steps inside. for the inside of the slate lip and sound board pedestal. I worked this project on placing board on center and was critical on all measurements being accurate even the call blank being dead nuts 4.5 inches square. I had a few "air" cuts, and the blank thickness was undersized alil and adjusted the slot depth alil to cut through the blank but it carved well. It took about 45 min. I did noticed some redundant bit checks/load bit all i had to do is hit the enter button again, not sure why that happened but seems wasted time. I am still learning how the carvewright performs center not using a fixture (sled) offset but was more than happy with the accuracy. Floyd thanks again for all your help, i couldn't have done it without you. I will preform the next call place on end and see what results i get. So far this call is as perfect dimensionally as one can get for wood.

fwharris
02-20-2014, 10:00 PM
Brian,

Awesome job sir! I can almost see you grinning from WV to Co. :D

Dale
02-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Glad the Carvewright worked out as good as you had hoped for. Looking forward to seeing more of your calls.

Foggycarver
02-20-2014, 10:26 PM
Yea the carvewright done well, I did notice the 3/8 bit used to hallow out the inside worked the machine alil harder. I noticed the flex shaft movement and alil more heat was present than other carves. I wouldn't want to take big cuts all at once.

Deolman
02-20-2014, 11:04 PM
Looks real good. Now, are you going to make a presentation box or stand to go with them?

Foggycarver
02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Yes, we will do a box set matching wood deer grunt tube and turkey pot call. The box will have a wildlife scene and flocking inside. The Christmas sets will be copper inlays and different graphics.

Foggycarver
02-20-2014, 11:10 PM
Doelman when you said stand i just looked at the waste block if i cut it in half , glued together it makes a perfect stand for the call.

fwharris
02-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Yea the carvewright done well, I did notice the 3/8 bit used to hallow out the inside worked the machine alil harder. I noticed the flex shaft movement and alil more heat was present than other carves. I wouldn't want to take big cuts all at once.

You can either reduce the amount on the max pass or change it over to the 3/16" bit. Changing to the 3/16" bit will mean more passes and add a little bit to the carve time but might be less work load on the cut motor.

SteveNelson46
02-21-2014, 09:16 AM
Well this is my first official project being a newbie. I have to say making this turkey call was too much fun. I have to thank Floyd, and Dan again for all the help and advice. The run out on this call was only a few thousands of an inch and for working with wood this is perfect. I chucked it up on the lathe and ran an indicator on it and was amazed on how circularity was concentric in relationship to the steps inside. for the inside of the slate lip and sound board pedestal. I worked this project on placing board on center and was critical on all measurements being accurate even the call blank being dead nuts 4.5 inches square. I had a few "air" cuts, and the blank thickness was undersized alil and adjusted the slot depth alil to cut through the blank but it carved well. It took about 45 min. I did noticed some redundant bit checks/load bit all i had to do is hit the enter button again, not sure why that happened but seems wasted time. I am still learning how the carvewright performs center not using a fixture (sled) offset but was more than happy with the accuracy. Floyd thanks again for all your help, i couldn't have done it without you. I will preform the next call place on end and see what results i get. So far this call is as perfect dimensionally as one can get for wood.

I'm not sure how it works but, from the pictures it looks like an interesting project.

lynnfrwd
02-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah!! I'm so glad you are having fun and the project turned out great!

easybuilt
02-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Awesome Job on the Turkey call. Nice project to start with. Floyd has always been so helpful, I remember calling him so much! Thanks Floyd!!

aokweld101
02-21-2014, 12:17 PM
nice turkey call, The results of how it works is when that first turkey gets called in....

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Very nice....

I agree for the long term a less of a bite or smaller bit would be better... At some point the Y will slip a tooth during the heavy cuts and the machine could try to cut virgin wood and stall or start a fire... We are talking over 250 cut hours... as the Y gear box bearings wear...

Many of us have battery smoke detectors above the machine.... I had my detector go off one day as I was working out on my deck and the machine runing in the wood shop 10 feet away... The Outer Flex had started to smoke....

AL

CW-HAL9000
02-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Congrats, its good to see someone using their CW to make money. Its an inspiration to us all.

Foggycarver
02-21-2014, 06:19 PM
Thanks all for the great comments but i never started anything for the money. I gave away more calls than i can count. It's just nice to see people hunt and family spending time together. I do wish to make enough to maintain the carvewright however.

Foggycarver
02-23-2014, 05:04 PM
We have been working this weekend on proving out the call box lid. This is my favorite so far, so much fun. A few more adjustments to the v carving is alil too deep and I think it's the final change we are going with.

Jerrylouismartin
03-22-2015, 11:39 AM
I have tried to work a pot call on my CW. I would like to talk. Been trying to figure this out, What is the size bit you are using and have you tried doing multiple pots in the same board?