PDA

View Full Version : Downloading pattern catalogue

pqkenai
02-20-2014, 12:08 PM
Where I use my machine has no internet access. Is it possible to download the pattern catalogue onto my computer so I can view it where the machine is?

mtylerfl
02-20-2014, 12:34 PM
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "pattern catalogue" that can be printed out. There are over 7,000 patterns in the CW Pattern Store, so I don't think you would want to print all that out anyway (unless you own stock in paper and ink companies). :)

Your computer does not have to be anywhere near your machine. In fact, don't put it there. Leave your computer inside the house, in a nice cozy and sawdust-free location (near internet access?). You can always browse and search the pattern store (which is updated regularly with new patterns) when you need to seek out a particular item.

zan29
02-20-2014, 03:48 PM
The only catalogues available to download that I'm aware of is from http://www.rasterclip3d.com/ as a PDF file.

mormar3830
02-20-2014, 06:23 PM
As far as I know, there is no such thing as a "pattern catalogue" that can be printed out. There are over 7,000 patterns in the CW Pattern Store, so I don't think you would want to print all that out anyway (unless you own stock in paper and ink companies). :)

Your computer does not have to be anywhere near your machine. In fact, don't put it there. Leave your computer inside the house, in a nice cozy and sawdust-free location (near internet access?). You can always browse and search the pattern store (which is updated regularly with new patterns) when you need to seek out a particular item.

I suffer the same frustration. I am now building a website to house pictures and patterns. I have about 3000 patterns to put on it now. Any member of the forum will be able to use it once it is up and running. Shooting to launch it on March 1, 2014. If you have patterns to share just let me know and I will put them up on the site. This will be a FREE service. Just hope it helps.

CW-HAL9000
02-20-2014, 09:11 PM
I suffer the same frustration. I am now building a website to house pictures and patterns. I have about 3000 patterns to put on it now. Any member of the forum will be able to use it once it is up and running. Shooting to launch it on March 1, 2014. If you have patterns to share just let me know and I will put them up on the site. This will be a FREE service. Just hope it helps.Man you might be opening a firestorm if the patterns are from the forum. I thought about doing it sometime back and found out someone else had done it and it caused a lot of fuss. Someone else is selling patterns on ebay or used to be and they were from this forum and it also caused all kinds of issues.

fwharris
02-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Man you might be opening a firestorm if the patterns are from the forum. I thought about doing it sometime back and found out someone else had done it and it caused a lot of fuss. Someone else is selling patterns on ebay or used to be and they were from this forum and it also caused all kinds of issues.

He is correct about the issue of patterns that have been shared on the forum showing up elsewhere especially for sale on Ebay. I am guessing lots will be very skeptical since your very first post is about asking others to share their patterns on your new site. Not saying you are not legit but looking forward to seeing your new site with patterns.

SteveEJ
02-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Until I ave a chance to think about it further you DO NOT have permission to use any of mine! I want anything I have shared here to stay here for distribution. It not only helps this site and it's users but it is really easy to search the forum or ask the users here.

Thanks,

RogerB
02-28-2014, 05:42 PM
mormar 3830 This is your first post and you have about 3000 patterns. Did you make them your self.How long have you had your CW.

TerryT
02-28-2014, 06:11 PM
If you don't have internet connection where your machine is.... I'm not quite clear on how copying patterns from this site to another website will help?

mormar3830
03-03-2014, 01:07 AM
Today was a good day in the ice and sleet. It provided me with a day to sit in front of the computer and make 55 new patterns. The new patterns are of the US Mint proof State Coins. Look under the "COIN" link. (http://www.carveshare.com) All the PTN files are there for download. I have carved the Texas coin and it made a great looking clock. ENJOY...

tjl232
03-03-2014, 03:47 AM
I don't see your link

zan29
03-03-2014, 05:58 AM
55 patterns in one day?????? Thanks for sharing.

zan29
03-03-2014, 06:01 AM
Your chip boxes cannot be downloaded, bad link

dltccf
03-03-2014, 10:23 AM
So your patterns came from the forum. I see a couple of patterns that I created, but with the notice that they were posted to the forum here and not to be resold that I had put on them removed. Can you explain your intent for your website a little more?

dave

mormar3830
03-05-2014, 03:59 PM
Man you might be opening a firestorm if the patterns are from the forum. I thought about doing it sometime back and found out someone else had done it and it caused a lot of fuss. Someone else is selling patterns on ebay or used to be and they were from this forum and it also caused all kinds of issues.

No firestorm was intended. I will never sell patterns on the site. I think the guy that is selling on EBAY is wrong...VERY WRONG! I have posted almost a hundred patterns in the last week that I have done. I try to make twenty patterns a day that are free to use by anyone. the site is not to make money... it is to share...freely share... and that is what it will stay. I hope everyone learns that it is there to prevent the EBAY type of activity that has occurred in the past. If the pattern is free on http://www.carveshare.com it will be hard to sell on EBAY.
I hope everyone learns to enjoy the site.

fwharris
03-05-2014, 04:24 PM
No firestorm was intended. I will never sell patterns on the site. I think the guy that is selling on EBAY is wrong...VERY WRONG! I have posted almost a hundred patterns in the last week that I have done. I try to make twenty patterns a day that are free to use by anyone. the site is not to make money... it is to share...freely share... and that is what it will stay. I hope everyone learns that it is there to prevent the EBAY type of activity that has occurred in the past. If the pattern is free on http://www.carveshare.com it will be hard to sell on EBAY.

Welcome back Mormar3830! As you have probably seen you have gotten a little feedback on your free pattern site. Us skeptics about your intent is do to a long history of finding our patterns being found on other sites without our permission not to mention being sold on Ebay. It is also driven some what that the only posts you have made so far is about your site. Some have even questioned if you even have a CarveWright.
How about a little history about yourself to introduce you to us?

I would like to also add that your site is in fact well organized and looks like you have put some good hours into it.

03-05-2014, 05:17 PM
I'd like to address the original question with a question of my own. With over 7000 patterns on the CW pattern share forum and I have no idea how many on the Pattern Depot, is there an organized catalogue, or registry tree, or some way to search and find what you are looking for in this collectively huge library without having to click through every friggin' page! When I have time it is fun to browse but sometimes I find something that I don't know I'll need until later and then I can't find it again.

lynnfrwd
03-05-2014, 05:29 PM
The Pattern Sharing Thread is here: http://forum.carvewright.com/misc.php?do=showattachments&t=2046

There are about 3100 attachments. The best way to search is by going to the FIND feature (Ctrl-F) on my browser and typing a keyword.

The Pattern Depot has over 7,000. http://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=295

They are sorted by category and the search feature usually works, so long as the keyword is more than three letters. (don't add an s to the end of the keyword)

mormar3830
03-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Welcome back Mormar3830! As you have probably seen you have gotten a little feedback on your free pattern site. Us skeptics about your intent is do to a long history of finding our patterns being found on other sites without our permission not to mention being sold on Ebay. It is also driven some what that the only posts you have made so far is about your site. Some have even questioned if you even have a CarveWright.
How about a little history about yourself to introduce you to us?

I would like to also add that your site is in fact well organized and looks like you have put some good hours into it.

Thanks. it has taken some time and thought. I am attempting to address some of the comments and questions. The landing page has changed. Click on the Carvewright Pattern Credit Link. You will see how the random patterns are starting to take some order and giving credit to the artist who created them.

CW-HAL9000
03-05-2014, 10:43 PM

The patterns were available for free on this forum all someone had to do was sign up and it is free yet the sellers on ebay continue to sell with no problem whatso ever. I also feel that you should have asked permission before starting your website rather than just doing it and announcing it here. These were not really your patterns to do with as you wish. I am not a frequent pattern contributer here so maybe I have no cause to speak but I do have an opinion. Although I definitely see one pattern I made at the suggestion of another forum member.

jpaluck
03-06-2014, 01:44 AM
You have a few of free patterns I have contibuted on this forum. I asked you to remove on your site. Because I shared on this site I gave you no permission to share on your site. PLEASE REMOVE. Share the patterns you made...which is???? Please remove mine.

eelamb
03-12-2014, 08:58 PM
I have asked him to remove mine too in PM and email, and have gotten no response from him, and they are still there.

CW-HAL9000
03-12-2014, 10:21 PM
No response to me either. although I have only seen one of mine.

Alan Malmstrom
03-13-2014, 08:27 AM
It's not easy to find out that your a jerk when you thought you were a nice guy.

eelamb
03-13-2014, 09:46 AM
I feel he had good intentions, and he probably is a nice guy. Maybe he will return here and get to know who we actually are.

aokweld101
03-13-2014, 10:04 AM
I have no patterns on his site, but it don't set right with me that he is using the patterns that the members of this forum wanted to share with other members, him being a newbee, don't evidently know what it takes it make a pattern I personnally think alot of the pattern makers and the devotion that they have to LEARN on how to do it ....his heart might be in the right place but his mind is not, it was told to me... (not being sarcastic)...if you want to make a 3-d duck make your own duck..

lynnfrwd
03-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Alright guys, I know this doesn't sit well with many of you and I talked to him about that, but let's not let this go down the wrong path. He is, now, aware of the history behind it. He says he is not doing any of this for profit, but for organization. Also, MANY of the patterns on there are supposed to be ones he created. Now, I don't know if that means he created a true 3d pattern or just imported an image and said, "This is a pattern". He is a machine owner. And, YES, it would be appropriate for him to respond and remove your patterns, as requested.

dehrlich
03-14-2014, 12:21 PM
I agree, I believe his intentions are good.. trying to provide an easier way to find the patterns and to that he succeeds, I wish the forum could be done like that. Perhaps if there was a way he could make it so you must have a password, and restrict it to forum members?

CarverJerry
03-14-2014, 03:58 PM
There was a guy "Johnny" I believe was his name who was doing the same thing, a way to find patterns faster and easy. I see a couple of mine on this guys site, I have no problem with him having them just as long as they are not for sale. Any thing we can do to put this eBay guy out of business should be a plus for us. The carveshare site does seem to be easy to know what the pattern looks like but I did find a few links that didn't work, just got a screen full of letters and stuff. If this guy is indeed trying to help us put the eBayer out of business we may just try and come together and agree that it's for OUR good. After all if he's adding files of his own it will benefit us also. Give him a chance. Just my 2¢ worth.

CW-HAL9000
03-14-2014, 06:50 PM
There was a guy "Johnny" I believe was his name who was doing the same thing, a way to find patterns faster and easy. I see a couple of mine on this guys site, I have no problem with him having them just as long as they are not for sale. Any thing we can do to put this eBay guy out of business should be a plus for us. The carveshare site does seem to be easy to know what the pattern looks like but I did find a few links that didn't work, just got a screen full of letters and stuff. If this guy is indeed trying to help us put the eBayer out of business we may just try and come together and agree that it's for OUR good. After all if he's adding files of his own it will benefit us also. Give him a chance. Just my 2¢ worth.

The files he added so far are just pic imports and are poor quality patterns with no 3d work. Kind of seems to me that he just threw them in the mix to make it look like he is contributing. By his own account he did 54 patterns in one day. Not possible if you are doing good patterns. I also do not think it will put the ebay sellers out of business since the patterns have always been free here and the sellers continue to sell. I think people buy them because they get them all on one cd and there is no downloading of each one by one and you do not have to have an internet connection to use them. When I first bought my CW (used off ebay) I also bought a disk from the seller sharkteeman and even though it was before I found this forum I have used them often and it was and is more convenient than searching for something on here. Although I would not buy patterns from ebay again. I for one do not like the idea of this website using others patterns. I smell trouble down the road.

eelamb
03-14-2014, 10:44 PM
A quote from Hesstx, back when Jonny built his website.
"I want to tell you all a story.

Not long ago a man was upset with CW so he started his own site. Grand ideas were everywhere.
A few of us followed him to his site. We joined in and some thought things were going well we offered ideas and more. We got to know each other very well.

Then a snag..... One day the owner of the site did not agree with what some of the others felt. Kind of like here when we tick off a mod, but unlike here, the owner removed the site. Just took it down all the things donated to the site were lost to those who the owner was upset with.

What if that happens here with this new web site?

Right now the owner loves CW and the forum. What would happen if that changed and he lost interest or just got good and peed off with members or CW?
Would we be sitting in the same boat as those who lost the site.?

What if we had donated funds to help out.?
I can see there has been lots of work done on the site. Have to say it does seem a better way to find pats. But also have to say that fact is if one person wants to pull the site they can."

fwharris
03-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Eddie,

Great flash back on both accounts.

mormar3830
03-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Take a second look at what is on the way...

eelamb
03-19-2014, 08:26 PM
mormar3830, I have asked you in email and in PM giving you a list of patterns you have on your site that are mine, to please remove them. I am asking again, nicely PLEASE remove them!!!

tcough3475
03-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Something that would be nice would be a printed version of patterns that I could show clients. I've generated screen shots of various patterns and take them to meetings. I work with some very talented people and once they see a pattern, they come up with an idea how to use it. I don't mind paying for someone's hard work as I just pass the cost on to the client, but if my clients can't see it, they can't visualize it in a project they might be working on. It would be great if CW could publish a pdf of the patterns that we could print instead of me selecting "TRY" and then doing a screen shot of each pattern that I think a client might like. And I wouldn't expect this to be a constant update, maybe annually. I wouldn't mind grabbing the recently added patterns to put in my notebook. I do take my laptop along to show them but they don't want to wait while I download web page after web page. Just my 2 cents, not looking to repost patterns on the internet, just better access to the images of them.

mormar3830
03-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Something that would be nice would be a printed version of patterns that I could show clients. I've generated screen shots of various patterns and take them to meetings. I work with some very talented people and once they see a pattern, they come up with an idea how to use it. I don't mind paying for someone's hard work as I just pass the cost on to the client, but if my clients can't see it, they can't visualize it in a project they might be working on. It would be great if CW could publish a pdf of the patterns that we could print instead of me selecting "TRY" and then doing a screen shot of each pattern that I think a client might like. And I wouldn't expect this to be a constant update, maybe annually. I wouldn't mind grabbing the recently added patterns to put in my notebook. I do take my laptop along to show them but they don't want to wait while I download web page after web page. Just my 2 cents, not looking to repost patterns on the internet, just better access to the images of them.

The pattern book is done and i will work on a zip file with all the patterns in it so it can be downloaded easy and used where there is no internet. Just put it on a usb drive and go...

fwharris
03-22-2014, 03:07 PM
The pattern book is done and i will work on a zip file with all the patterns in it so it can be downloaded easy and used where there is no internet. Just put it on a usb drive and go...

mormar3830,

You should stop with what you are doing. Looking through your "new patterns being worked on" list I see a very large number of patterns that are screen shots of proprietary patterns (patterns being sold). I see VectorArt3D, VectorClipArt, WoodWiisdon and many other companies work there. I would think this is copyrights infringement of others work. Plus the fact that they look like crap as a pattern and would be nothing but scrap wood for the fire.

Either you are disregarding peoples posts that you remove their work from your site or failing to read them. You have been sent private messages (see notifications at top of the page) and emails from a lot of people here and all report that you are not answering them, including me.

eelamb
03-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Floyd, it will do no good to ask him anything. We here on the forum always praise other members of their work, we love to see others progress and learn to use the software and the machine. This time I will not hold back
Jay-Frank-Kathy (website registered to Kathy), your web site is amateurish, something a kid would put together. Hmmm I take that back I have seen some of the sites a kid creates and they are much better. Your pattern you create are BAD, importing an image into designer and calling it a pattern only work for images that have been modified for grayscale, and cleaned up. Neither of these things you have done, and I do not feel you have a clue as to how to create a good pattern. The new patterns you are taking the current images, bringing them into Gimp, cleaning the edges and importing them into designer, creating a PTN file. Heights of the patterns are all wrong. Again the understanding of how to create a pattern you are lacking. Do you even know how heights of patterns are affected using gray scale? Take the time to learn to walk in pattern making before you attempt to run in a marathon. Also take some classes on web design.

Forgot to mention you do the original creators of those patterns an injustice, creating such junk from their images and then showing their images as if you created them.

eelamb
03-22-2014, 03:37 PM
I know the mods may have to remove the other post, I hope he sees it first.

CW-HAL9000
03-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Mormar I am sorry to say that these patterns you are making yourself are not good at all (I am trying to be nice) You can not just import pics and make decent patterns. At the least you have to clean up imperfections and use gaussian blur for a minimal import. I downloaded the very first pattern which is a 44 mag revolver. There is no 3d aspect, stray bad pixels in the ptn, and bad texture throughout the weapon. Maybe you have good intentions (I really don't think so) but this work is unusable. The only good patterns I can see were taken from others work.

edit: I see now that as I was typing this others were typing the same thing. Maybe in this case redundancy is a good thing.

fwharris
03-22-2014, 07:42 PM
I know the mods may have to remove the other post, I hope he sees it first.

Eddie,

I see no reason for having to remove your post....

SteveNelson46
03-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Come on guys. Let's not get into name calling and/or get a negative conversation started. LHR has taken the necessary steps to remedy the problem. We should let it go at that.

CarverJerry
03-25-2014, 02:49 PM
I tried to go to the carveshare web page to see what all he offered. Its says it's now password protected. So I take it he's out of the game now.

scootertrash
05-06-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm late to this party but HTTRACK is an open sourced (free) website copier. Pretty much just feed it the link to the catalog web page and let it rip.