PDA

View Full Version : CW A-Machine Upgrade Day!

mtylerfl
02-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Well, I finally did it...took out the QC Spindle and upgraded my second A-Machine to the CarveTight yesterday afternoon.

Sort of almost a "sad" day since that QC had served me so very well since August of 2007 (bought both my machines from Sears under their tradename of CompuCarve). The QC had started showing signs of wear (very slight runout) and I did have a spare QC adapter for the spindle purchased many, many years ago. But, I've also had a CarveTight for that machine sitting in its original box for over 3 years, so I decided to go ahead with the upgrade. I think I may be in the minority of users who actually liked the QC!...it's OK...you can call me crazy if you want.
:)

As long as I had the machine apart, I also did the A907 upgrade with the newer 14-pin FFC cable, head termination circuit board and Z-motor pak (had all that sittin' in a box for years, as well). On a roll, I went ahead and swapped out the original factory LCD readout with one of Jeff Birt's Backlit LCD's (which I had done on my first CW machine already). I also replaced my Board Sensor, as I discovered during cleaning, the clear window looked a little "fogged up" over one of the "eyes" (I can actually repair that quit easily by replacing the window with another home-made one, but I put it in a baggie for fixing it someday-in-the-future).

The only thing I didn't do was replace the original sandpaper traction belts...they still look pretty new, not worn or torn or rolled under and they perform perfectly. Besides, I did NOT have any extra rubber belts on hand anyway or I probably would have put those on 'just because'.

Anyhow, it was kind of fun to play upgrade repairman! I only forgot to plug in just one connection...got a Close Cover error after everything was re-assembled, which reminded me to plug in the head harness! Duh!

EDIT: It just occurred to me to add the link to Jeff Birt's Backlit LCD upgrade in case anyone else was interested. Here it is:
http://www.soigeneris.com/backlit_lcd_kit-details.aspx

fwharris
02-18-2014, 08:59 PM
Well Michael you sure got you monies worth out of the QC chuck. You should make a special display box for it! ;)

mtylerfl
02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Well Michael you sure got you monies worth out of the QC chuck. You should make a special display box for it! ;)

Good idea! I could create a small CarveWright Museum display! Ya know...about a year ago, I put on one of my ta-do lists to create a timeline PDF and/or html document of the "evolution" of the CW machine from day one to the present. I just thought it would be interesting to compile something like that. However, since I seem to always be 'too tight on time', I've never done it...yet!

aokweld101
02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Sounds as if you done a lot of work on your machine, the rubber belts and 3 motors and you almost would of had a new machine.. I have a machine that's down and the flex shaft is spinning in the qc the square part of the flex shaft it keeps rounding out I've put two flex shafts in it so far and even turned the flex shaft end for end and wore out both ends of them I never change the spindle before so... I'm in for a learning experience....again.....lol