PDA

View Full Version : OK, so do't be stupid like me

cnsranch
02-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Hard lesson learned........

PC at the Office, Laptop at home.

Thought I was being smart, five years of MPCs, MPL's, you name it on a flash drive that I carried back and forth. Nothing but Designer on the computers.

You guessed it - flash drive went to flash drive heaven.

So, starting over.

Don't be stupid like me.

BTW, with the way technology's changing, I bought my daughter-in-law a 2 TB portable hard drive for less than $100.

Wish rhey had those gizmos back in '08 :)

Bigtyme
02-15-2014, 12:15 PM
That is terrible, Jerry. Those are a lot of years to lose. Thanks for the reminder to back things up. I actually started using google drive a month ago along with a back up every now and again and what I work on at the office shows up on my laptop at home without having to carry anyting back and forth. It has a 15 gig free limit, so it will be a long time before projects and patterns for my cw hit that limit...

CW-HAL9000
02-15-2014, 02:37 PM
I use a dropbox folder, also free. I keep all cw files in that folder so its a free automatic backup.

DocWheeler
02-15-2014, 04:12 PM
Jerry,

Have you contacted anyone to see if the data can be retrieved?

TerryT
02-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I'm paronoid about that kind of thing. I keep a full set of everything backups on at least 3 computers. Also have a couple of sets of 32 meg thumb drives. I keep one set in my office and another in my car. Plus backups of everything plus websites on remote server.

AND I STILL LOOSE STUFF!!

peep
02-15-2014, 05:44 PM
I think I'll do a backup tonight. Scary.

DocWheeler
02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm paronoid about that kind of thing. I keep a full set of everything backups on at least 3 computers. Also have a couple of sets of 32 meg thumb drives. I keep one set in my office and another in my car. Plus backups of everything plus websites on remote server.

AND I STILL LOOSE STUFF!!
No wonder, where would you start to look?

dbfletcher
02-15-2014, 07:30 PM
If the flash drive is recognized by the pc, ther is probably a 70-80% chance it can be recovered. If it doesnt even show up in device manager when you plug it in, then we are probably dropping down to a 10-20% chance.

James RS
02-16-2014, 06:29 AM
You're not alone, I was actually also just starting to backup my hard drive.
When mine crashed and couldn't be revived, I also purchase 2 - 1.5 T drives:oops:

cnsranch
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
RE recovering the info on the drive - MicroCenter will do it for $400............

DocWheeler
02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Sounds reasonable if you wanted to distribute wealth, I had hoped it would have been reasonable for real-people.

bergerud
02-19-2014, 03:20 PM
RE recovering the info on the drive - MicroCenter will do it for $400............

When you have finally given up on it, send it to me. I will take it apart and look at it under my microscope. It could just be a crack or broken solder. I have fixed some before. (Last hope only, like instead of throwing it in the garbage.)

cnsranch
02-20-2014, 10:23 AM
When you have finally given up on it, send it to me. I will take it apart and look at it under my microscope. It could just be a crack or broken solder. I have fixed some before. (Last hope only, like instead of throwing it in the garbage.)

Thanks for the offer - my son has the original drive and a new one like it. I'll get with him and see if he can get it to you.

bergerud
02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
It is worth a try.