PDA

View Full Version : Remove quick change chuck

texasinmi
02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
My quick change chuck no longer hold the bit adapter tightly. I have an extra chuck.

The question is what is the easiest way to get the old chuck off? I have pocked around the manual, no luck.

I have the tool to losen the nut, but I am afraid to put a pair of vice grips on the old chuck. Afraid of putting too much torque on the system.

Thanks in advance.

Texas

lynnfrwd
02-14-2014, 11:07 AM
My quick change chuck no longer hold the bit adapter tightly. I have an extra chuck.

The question is what is the easiest way to get the old chuck off? I have pocked around the manual, no luck.

I have the tool to losen the nut, but I am afraid to put a pair of vice grips on the old chuck. Afraid of putting too much torque on the system.

Thanks in advance.

Texas

Here is the repair document that can be found under SUPPORT > MANUALS & REPAIR DOCUMENTS at www.carvewright.com
http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Service_instructions/CarveWright_service_replace_QC.pdf

Also, if your adapters on your bits have "BB marks" on them, they need to be replaced. Putting worn adapters into a new Quick Change Chuck will quickly wear it down.

I would suggest, you consider upgrading to the new CarveTight spindle.

Connie

bergerud
02-14-2014, 11:18 AM
A trick not in the pdf which others have used is to clamp a small soldering iron into a 1/2" adapter as if it was a bit. This safely heats up the old chuck and makes it easier to get off.

texasinmi
02-14-2014, 11:40 AM
I would like to get a carve tight but but do not have the $160.00 available.

Texas

dbemus
02-14-2014, 01:36 PM
If you use Bergerud's method place a birthday cake candle at the top of the threads. The wax will draw down into the threads and loosen them.

texasinmi
02-14-2014, 02:20 PM
Where does the birthday candle go, down the square hole?

Texas

ktjwilliams
02-14-2014, 05:18 PM
The main thing is to heat the threads a bit ,,, Use a square drive in the top of the spindle and wrench it off with a thin wrench ... No candles in the square hole ... I have a extra quick chuck if you need one ... Just cover the shipping ...

Where does the birthday candle go, down the square hole?

Texas

SteveNelson46
02-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanks in advance.

Texas

When I removed mine I bought a short piece of 1/2" steel rod at Home Depot and used a propane torch to heat it up to a glowing red then quickly inserted it in the QC and let it set for about a minute or so. Repeated the process and used the square drive removal tool.to loosen it. It should come off without breaking the tool. If it doesn't come off easily, keep repeating the process. Some times it may take several attempts to build up enough heat to loosen the Loctite. Of course, I broke a square drive tool before I tried this method.

CW-HAL9000
02-14-2014, 07:34 PM
When I removed mine I bought a short piece of 1/2" steel rod at Home Depot and used a propane torch to heat it up to a glowing red then quickly inserted it in the QC and let it set for about a minute or so. Repeated the process and used the square drive removal tool.to loosen it. It should come off without breaking the tool. If it doesn't come off easily, keep repeating the process. Some times it may take several attempts to build up enough heat to loosen the Loctite. Of course, I broke a square drive tool before I tried this method.

I did the same thing with a slightly less than 1/2 (might have been metric) bolt I had lying around. used visegrips to hold it while I heated the tip then put it up into the quick chuck. It took two times and then the QC came off easily.

henry1
02-14-2014, 07:34 PM
That is what I do works well nice going steve

texasinmi
02-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Another victory for the red hot bolt trick. Took a few treatments, but it is off now.

Texas