PDA

View Full Version : A Matching Pair

SteveNelson46
02-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Well, I finally finished the matching lamp to the one I had posted earlier. It took several attempts on both the body and the base. It's really difficult to find a good enough piece of Mesquite firewood for projects. When you think you have found just the right piece and start turning it on the lathe or try to carve the base using the Carvewright the cracks and flaws show up and renders it unusable. Anyway, I think they turned out pretty good.

fwharris
02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Steve,

Awesome job sir! They look like glass!

aokweld101
02-12-2014, 05:52 PM
Now you have me looking at the firewood before I put it in the fire place......

Geomoo1
02-12-2014, 06:00 PM
Nice work, Steve. They turned out beautifully.

TerryT
02-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Those are a whole lot better than "pretty good".

FWMiller
02-12-2014, 11:32 PM
I more often turn projects into firewood rather than the other way around. Very nice work.

henry1
02-13-2014, 01:06 AM
Nice work, Steve now those are real nice congrat

tierman
02-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Beautiful pieces and the best part is whenever you turn on the switch you "highlite" your projects.

zan29
02-13-2014, 10:31 AM
How did you manage that finish........beautiful!

SteveNelson46
02-13-2014, 12:07 PM
How did you manage that finish........beautiful!

First, I sanded both parts to 18000 grit using Arnet paper (that's eighteen thousand). The surface was almost glass like before the finish was applied. Then I applied 2 very light coats of spray-on shellac and 10 very light coats of spray-on lacquer, lightly buffed between coats with 0000 steel wool. If I really wanted it to shine I would have used 12000 grit Arnet paper instead of steel wool. Lacquer is relatively easy to use. It dries and ready for another coat in an hour or so. It's not as durable as urethane or Arm-R-Seal and since it's alcohol based it's probably not a good choice for furniture (alcohol based drinks leave a really bad ring). Probably not good for outside use either. It works good on lamps and vases though. One thing you don't want to do is spray urethane over lacquer. Ever see a relatively new car or pickup that has the paint flaking off? It's because the manufacturer used a lacquer based primer under a urethane based paint. It's tempting because it dries so quickly but, not a good idea to put a hard shell over a softer base.

SteveNelson46
02-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks to each and all for the favorable opinions and comments. If it was prudent, I would thank each of you individually.

zan29
02-13-2014, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info Steve.

ktjwilliams
02-15-2014, 11:56 AM
The shellac is alcohol based .... Not the lacquer

First, I sanded both parts to 18000 grit using Arnet paper (that's eighteen thousand). The surface was almost glass like before the finish was applied. Then I applied 2 very light coats of spray-on shellac and 10 very light coats of spray-on lacquer, lightly buffed between coats with 0000 steel wool. If I really wanted it to shine I would have used 12000 grit Arnet paper instead of steel wool. Lacquer is relatively easy to use. It dries and ready for another coat in an hour or so. It's not as durable as urethane or Arm-R-Seal and since it's alcohol based it's probably not a good choice for furniture (alcohol based drinks leave a really bad ring). Probably not good for outside use either. It works good on lamps and vases though. One thing you don't want to do is spray urethane over lacquer. Ever see a relatively new car or pickup that has the paint flaking off? It's because the manufacturer used a lacquer based primer under a urethane based paint. It's tempting because it dries so quickly but, not a good idea to put a hard shell over a softer base.