PDA

View Full Version : New CarveWright CX

rmock
02-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Is cx with the traction belts and
cut motor the only machine available now or will the basic model still be sold.

ebrown17
02-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Got an email a bit ago about the new CarveWright CX coming out and the ability to pre-order it. Seems as if they've upgraded some components (cut motor, power supply) to make them more rugged and promoting this:

The ServoSmart™ controller is the most advanced CNC controller ever seen in an affordable CNC system. Five feedback sensors and automated setup give the CarveWright an undeniable edge.

Any thoughts on the new version who have combed the specs more or seen it in action (if there was any stateside)?

ebrown17
02-10-2014, 06:34 PM
http://www.carvewright.com/carvewright-cx/

Scroll down to bottom of page.

jab73180
02-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Was hoping this was the 24" wide model.

ebrown17
02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
That definitely would have been nice. I'd like to see a new one in operation, but doubt it would put me over the fence to invest in a second one at this time.

dehrlich
02-10-2014, 07:02 PM
Well that's cool and all, but no idea of when you would get it? I mean is it in a month? 6 months? Would be nice to know. And I wonder if you can put the new quieter cut motors in the old machines?

fwharris
02-10-2014, 07:07 PM
They will have the version C and CX and I am guessing that once the inventory of the C machines run out the CX will be the standard model..

ebrown17
02-10-2014, 07:11 PM
Ya, I would have liked the new updated power supply board as I just replaced one a month ago that puked after only 120hrs on the machine. So, is it safe to assume the CX replaces the previous machine? Can't imagine they would carry 2 different versions.

fwharris
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Well that's cool and all, but no idea of when you would get it? I mean is it in a month? 6 months? Would be nice to know. And I wonder if you can put the new quieter cut motors in the old machines?

I would think it would not be over 60 days as they are in current production right now. I have asked the same question about the cut motor and power supply but have not gotten any response yet. Guessing that once they do get the new machines in that at some point the upgraded parts would be available as an upgrade. Sure hope so anyway....

fwharris
02-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Ya, I would have liked the new updated power supply board as I just replaced one a month ago that puked after only 120hrs on the machine. So, is it safe to assume the CX replaces the previous machine? Can't imagine they would carry 2 different versions.

They will have the version C and CX and I am guessing that once the inventory of the C machines run out the CX will be the standard model..

Foggycarver
02-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Hmm , if that's true I wonder what's going to happen when we need old c version parts?

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 07:17 PM
I would think it would not be over 60 days as they are in current production right now. I have asked the same question about the cut motor and power supply but have not gotten any response yet. Guessing that once they do get the new machines in that at some point the upgraded parts would be available as an upgrade. Sure hope so anyway....

In the email I received they said it will be available next month.

"The new CarveWright CX machines will be available next month. See more about the CarveWright CX machines and place your Pre-Order today! "

fwharris
02-10-2014, 07:19 PM
In the email I received they said it will be available next month.

"The new CarveWright CX machines will be available next month. See more about the CarveWright CX machines and place your Pre-Order today! "

Yup missed that, speed reading again! Good eyes Steve!

fwharris
02-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Hmm , if that's true I wonder what's going to happen when we need old c version parts?

I doubt that will be an issue as the basic machine design is the same. Just upgrading some of the components.

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 07:31 PM

I'm sure they won't be phasing out the "C" machines or the parts any time soon. However, as with any thing else where the new replace the old, the parts will become more difficult to find.

bergerud
02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
I am sure all the new parts will fit the old machines. If you need a new motor, you will be able to get the new quieter one. The new power supply would surely also be compatible.

lynnfrwd
02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Due at LHR feb 27, but seems like it always gets delay (customs). This is the only new machine. Power supply will be available, but we have to wait until next container for cut motors. Don't know when that will be.

lynnfrwd
02-10-2014, 08:26 PM
The CX parts will work on any model. There are no more new C machines. The CX upgrade parts will be available for older systems. The new quieter cut motors, however, won't be available until later in the year.

fwharris
02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
Due at LHR feb 27, but seems like it always gets delay (customs). This is the only new machine. Power supply will be available, but we have to wait until next container for cut motors. Don't know when that will be.

So reading this, NO MORE "C" version? Once these come in all new machines will be VERSION CX?

lynnfrwd
02-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Correct, no more "C" machines. There will just be "CX" machines.

srfliny
02-10-2014, 08:29 PM
Yea... China X Version... LOL

lynnfrwd
02-10-2014, 08:30 PM
All new machines will have these upgrades.

jab73180
02-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Look into that crystal ball and see when the carvewright cxl is coming. Thats a good segway. You know 24" capacity.

srfliny
02-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I take it the motor brushes are in the same container as the motors then? I tried to order brushes today and they told me they won't be in until the 27th.... Now after reading this I see they may be longer....

ktjwilliams
02-10-2014, 09:55 PM
I take it the motor brushes are in the same container as the motors then? I tried to order brushes today and they told me they won't be in until the 27th.... Now after reading this I see they may be longer....

Try a local motor joint (elec motor rebuild N repair ) ... I did and was very surprised at all the various parts they had for the cut motor ... I rebuilt a motor for $20 ... and the parts said USA !!!!

fwharris
02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Are there any other changes/modifications other than the power supply and cut motor?

lynnfrwd
02-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Just what we posted.

Ton80
02-10-2014, 11:32 PM
Designer 2.x is included with the new CX version? That and the new upgrades sound fairly enticing. I was planning on buying a second machine this year. The price increase is substantial enough to make me wonder if I should just get a C remanufactured but if Designer 2.0 also comes standard with the new machine then I may wait until the new machines have arrived.

peep
02-11-2014, 07:19 AM
Can you not just buy a cut motor and power supply and call your machine a CX instead of a c model?

lynnfrwd
02-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Yes to power supply, not yet to cut motor and I guess to calling it a CX.

55president
02-11-2014, 08:17 AM
I've never had a problem with my power supply so I've never read posts about replacement or if the old ones were inadequate. So I'm left to conclude that
the carving tasks that I'm doing now are not a strain on the PS. But I can't help wondering if the PS upgrade is preperation for an additional upgrade that would
require more power. Are specs available for the new power supply? I notice in the description CW mentions that it is more rugged. Is there a differnce in electronics
or is it simply built a little stronger to withstand the rigors or shipping?

I need a new motor, so I'm anxious to hear when the new motors arrive. I got a parts machine that I borrowed a motor from unitl the new ones are available. If the decible level is diminished that's all the better.
I wear ear protection now, and can hear the machine from 60 ft away inside.

Smoken D
02-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Be here when the ship comes in. :)

Capt Bruce
02-11-2014, 09:42 AM
I need a new motor, so I'm anxious to hear when the new motors arrive. I got a parts machine that I borrowed a motor from unitl the new ones are available. If the decible level is diminished that's all the better.
I wear ear protection now, and can hear the machine from 60 ft away inside.

I'm in the same shape as you 55president except that it is my original B machine that is down and needs the motor replaced. I hope the new motors will be quieter in operation as this would be a marked improvement.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2014, 10:08 AM
The picture in the email looked wider.... then I saw the 14.5 spec and was slightly dissapointed... a extra 10 inches would have been nice... 24.5...

Overall this is GOOD News...

AL

jab73180
02-11-2014, 10:16 AM
The picture in the email looked wider.... then I saw the 14.5 spec and was slightly dissapointed... a extra 10 inches would have been nice... 24.5...

Overall this is GOOD News...

AL

This is going to segway into a CXL machine I bet.

dehrlich
02-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Check out this machine.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carvewright-CW-01-01-Computer-Controlled-Carving-Machine-/331126769731?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d18b18843

Looks like someone threw it out of a truck!

liquidguitars
02-11-2014, 01:10 PM
LOL looks like mine...

Dan-Woodman
02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
With the new cx parts coming out , will we still be able to trade -in our old parts with purchace of new ones. Like motors, controller, power supply?
Also , is the new power supply more robust than the last two I have put in?

lynnfrwd
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
With the new cx parts coming out , will we still be able to trade -in our old parts with purchace of new ones. Like motors, controller, power supply?
Also , is the new power supply more robust than the last two I have put in?

Yes and Yes.

Ropdoc
02-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I would love to get it. BUT I have an "A" and a "C" sitting in my shop that need repairs, bad motors and such. Now if I was able to trade 2 for one that would cause me to jump off the fence and get the "CX". But with 2 just sitting I am questioning the value of the machine anymore. The cost for replacement motors, heads and so on is just to expensive for me. And no I did not get the warranty. That is a 50 50 chance of getting the value for it. But in the case it would have been needed.

Dan-Woodman
02-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks Connie
I'm with you Ropdoc, here in the midwest the bottom has fell out of the economy. My machine has been down several months. Too many medical bills, and now my wife has been fighting shingles since Jan 1.

TerryT
02-12-2014, 04:22 PM
The ServoSmart™ controller is the most advanced CNC controller ever seen in an affordable CNC system. Five feedback sensors and automated setup give the CarveWright an undeniable edge.

Ok, so what does this mean, exactly? What improvements does it really have over the old controler? Does the Carvewright compare more favorably now with other machines like the Shark?

Does anyone know yet? If so I would like more info please.

bergerud
02-12-2014, 04:43 PM

Ok, so what does this mean, exactly? What improvements does it really have over the old controler? Does the Carvewright compare more favorably now with other machines like the Shark?

Does anyone know yet? If so I would like more info please.

I do not think there is anything different about the CX servos and controller. Are the five feedback sensors not just the 4 encoders and the board sensor? The only real difference I think is the cut motor fan and casing have been altered as well as the power supply. I am not sure but I just think the power supply case has been beefed up because they used to break loose in shipping.

My thought is that the CX is more about a new "package". Rubber belts, the most current Designer, a few new changes. Mostly a fresh marketing image.

RMarkey
02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Same as it has been, we just didn't make a "big deal" about it before. We get calls from people saying "competitor X says this", so marketing simply highlighted our features.

lynnfrwd
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
The controller has now been BRANDED and particulars explained.

TerryT
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Got it. Thanks

ktjwilliams
02-12-2014, 07:08 PM
At this new price point,,,, then throw in a few extra's like Centerline, 2d, 3d etc and your at $ 3000 not to mention the high cost of maintaining the machine... Sure does Make the Pilot Pro CNC look a hole lot better !!!! Just Sayin ....

SteveNelson46
02-12-2014, 07:09 PM
The controller has now been BRANDED and particulars explained.

Connie,

I'm not sure what you mean by "BRANDED". I guess it's now a Carvewright exclusive item? I am also assuming that "particulars explained" are the differences outlined in the AD.

SteveNelson46
02-12-2014, 07:13 PM
At this new price point,,,, then throw in a few extra's like Centerline, 2d, 3d etc and your at $ 3000 not to mention the high cost of maintaining the machine... Sure does Make the Pilot Pro CNC look a hole lot better !!!! Just Sayin ....

I think the base price of the machine is $1999.99 and that includes Designer 2.XX

lynnfrwd
02-12-2014, 11:02 PM

I didn't see anything over there for that price.

You do realize this not only has Designer 2.0, but also heavy duty belts, and the one year/200 hour warranty. It's still only $100 more than it was 5 years ago without 2.0 and belts.

papawbummie
02-13-2014, 09:09 AM
What is the Servo Smart on the new machine .Is it on the old machine also but is updated and what does it do . Thanks Bert

Dan-Woodman
02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Acording to the new CX specs, the new rugged power suppy has "locking screw down connectors". Is this different from the old one and will we need new cable and connectors to go with it?

Dan-Woodman
02-13-2014, 09:23 AM
How much quieter will the new motor be in decibals? I know the current motor is quieter by removing the muffler and attaching a shop-vac that is not turned on? Has anyone ever measured the db levels with and without the muffler?

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Acording to the new CX specs, the new rugged power suppy has "locking screw down connectors". Is this different from the old one and will we need new cable and connectors to go with it?

Good question! Yes, the new power supply has new connectors, which require new cables. The power supply will be sold with the new cables included.

unitedcases
02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
I hope this isn't to exact of a question. What is the actual decibel difference of the new motor? Or is there a measured difference?

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
I hope this isn't to exact of a question. What is the actual decibel difference of the new motor? Or is there a measured difference?

If it has been measured, I don't know what it is.

Connie

FWMiller
02-13-2014, 10:25 AM
I read claims that upgrading to the carvetight chuck would quiet down my machine but there is no noticeable difference. I won't be buying a new motor just based on marketing claims. But if there is real data, maybe.

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I read claims that upgrading to the carvetight chuck would quiet down my machine but there is no noticeable difference. I won't be buying a new motor just based on marketing claims. But if there is real data, maybe.

There have been many claims both ways. Some say the CT was quieter; some say it was not.

peep
02-13-2014, 10:54 AM
OK I need some specific info. What are you saying by a quieter cutmotor? 40 decibels noise instead of 150 decibels? What is the sound ratings?

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 11:29 AM
I don't have any information on the decibels. If I can get it, I will post it.

Connie

peep
02-13-2014, 01:31 PM
When you say quite cutmotor, how much quieter?

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 02:00 PM
There is a difference between saying it is "quiet" and saying it is "quieter". It is still a machine cutting into some form of medium, but it is quieter than it used to be. It is still loud (but that's a different word up for definition).

My new dishwasher is not only quiet, it is quieter than my last. (Except for when it was broken. Then it was REALLY quiet, not just sorta quiet.) My new dishwasher is SOO quiet that sometimes I have to walk into the kitchen to see if I actually remembered to turn it on. The new cut motor is not that quiet.

;);););)

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
What is the Servo Smart on the new machine .Is it on the old machine also but is updated and what does it do . Thanks Bert

For marketing reasons, we have branded our controller ServoSmart(tm). It indicates that it is a servo (instead of stepper) and a closed loop system that will allow the machine to tell you where there is an issue. It is also smart enough in most instances to stop when it encounters an issue and before damaging expensive parts. I have been referring to it as a looped intelligence, LHR decided to name it, so now it is called ServoSmart.

unitedcases
02-13-2014, 02:36 PM
If I started something I apologize. I work around loud helicopters all day. They are loud. My post was I run my machines in my garage and they can slightly be heard in my house. We are all used to it by now. Just seeing what the difference was so maybe I could relate to the advantage of a quieter motor. Throughout the years I have dealt a lot with hearing conversation and definitely realize it isn't going to be able to be slept next too. Not a big deal. Was just curious.

lynnfrwd
02-13-2014, 02:44 PM
OK...so there is hopefully a little less confusion & repetition, I have combined the two threads about the new CX.

unitedcases...no apology required, it is a legitimate question...I just don't have any hard data to give at this point.

ktjwilliams
02-14-2014, 09:28 AM
It's woodworking !!!!!!! It's suppose to be noisy !!!! Every wood shop has HEARING and EYE protection,,, not because it's quiet and chips aren't flying !!!!

lynnfrwd
02-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Ok. I still don't have numbers, but yesterday evening I walked out into the shop and just stopped and looked for the machine that was running. I had to ask..."OK, is that running the new cut motor?" I knew it had to be, because it wasn't that high pitched noise. Will try to get numbers and hopefully a video showing the sound difference of the two.

gapdev
02-14-2014, 02:03 PM
Connie,

If you don't have a Decibel Meter (Radio Shack has them), there are Apps for the iPhone that do a pretty good job. I have one called Decibel.

If I recall, before I built my Sound Proof Room for the machines, the current Machine with CarveTight is well above 100 db.

Kenny

FWMiller
02-14-2014, 02:19 PM
It's woodworking !!!!!!! It's suppose to be noisy !!!! Every wood shop has HEARING and EYE protection,,, not because it's quiet and chips aren't flying !!!!

Try convincing my wife of that after several hours of the carving machine droning on in the garage;). Knocking noise down 3dB or 6dB means more carving time for me and for that I might be willing to pay a nominal fee for an upgrade. If it was just me I have nice comfy ear muffs and could care less about annoying the neighbors a little.

lynnfrwd
02-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Connie,

If you don't have a Decibel Meter (Radio Shack has them), there are Apps for the iPhone that do a pretty good job. I have one called Decibel.

If I recall, before I built my Sound Proof Room for the machines, the current Machine with CarveTight is well above 100 db.

Kenny

I'm told we have one, but that it will be next week before they can measure it and take a video.

peep
02-14-2014, 06:57 PM
I already have a spare cutmotor, but if it is quite lower, I'll buy one!

SteveNelson46
02-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Try convincing my wife of that after several hours of the carving machine droning on in the garage;). Knocking noise down 3dB or 6dB means more carving time for me and for that I might be willing to pay a nominal fee for an upgrade. If it was just me I have nice comfy ear muffs and could care less about annoying the neighbors a little.

You could always teach woodworking to your wife. You can't hear her over the noise and your shop will never be so clean. LOL

lynnfrwd
02-26-2014, 11:51 AM
They are here.....

peep
02-26-2014, 01:36 PM
any specs on then yet?

robertusmc3521
03-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Can anyone tell me what model Lowes is selling on their website?