PDA

View Full Version : Alternate supplier for Cut Motor Brushes?

srfliny
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Is there an alternate supplier for the Cut Motor Brushes... Carvewright seems out of them until the 27th and I have customers waiting for stuff that is already paid for...

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Check the Sears Parts Site... CB001 Carbon Brush 001.

Don't be tempted to buy some from ACE and sand them down... It can cost you your motor.... A long post about that a while back...

AL

srfliny
02-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Called Sears they don't have them... they said the size was 11/16 x 13/32 x 1/4.

bergerud
02-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I believe that is incorrect. 12mm X 6mm X 12mm are the sizes I have.

srfliny
02-10-2014, 05:36 PM
That's about 1/2 x 1/4 x 1/2 doesn't sound right... for that to be correct they would be listed as 12mm x 12mm x 6mm

bergerud
02-10-2014, 06:12 PM
That is right. I did not think about the order of the dimensions.

srfliny
02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I looked on Ebay and there are a tonne of them from Hong Kong.... 7 Bucks for 5 sets... Free shipping.... Seems too good to be true.... Pass...

unitedcases
02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Didn't we go thru this once before??? And bad Bert blew a motor???

liquidguitars
02-10-2014, 11:40 PM
I made my own for my skill 77 but i had the graphite.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2014, 10:13 AM
SO for the Excited Users wanting to go with a non LHR Brush....

Something to know.....

1. The length of the Spring and teather that little copper wire that prevents the brush spring from entering the commutator acting as a dog chain.... is very important.... SCRUNCH up a longer spring and you put more pressure on the brush and when the brush wears out the metal spring enters the moving parts.....

2. Not all carbon hardness is the same....

3. Just say no.... :)

AL

Ton80
02-11-2014, 03:42 PM
One has to wonder why they let their stock deplete to the point of zero. Glad I purchased my set several weeks ago before I really needed them

lynnfrwd
02-11-2014, 03:50 PM
One has to wonder why they let their stock deplete to the point of zero. Glad I purchased my set several weeks ago before I really needed them

I know we should have enough stock, but it doesn't help when bunches of people order 4, 5 & 6 sets at one time. If you are desperate, I know there are people on here that have them stock piled.

Ton80
02-11-2014, 04:00 PM
These are the same people that run out and wipe out the bread and milk before a little snow storm. Hoarders...

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

fwharris
02-11-2014, 05:08 PM
It might be a good idea to limit the quantity they can buy at one time..

Also a great idea if those who have stocked up that when they see a fellow carver in need they offer to help them out...:cool:

lynnfrwd
02-11-2014, 05:11 PM

I tried. Our store software won't let us.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2014, 05:46 PM
AL has 3 sets of Carbon Brushes up for grabs. I am in the shop late tonight working on tags trying to ship tomorrow before the big storm.... If you need the Brass Sleeves let me know too.

So I am going to the post office tomorrow and not likely again until Sat.

If you would like a set email me at digitalwoodshop at aol dot com. First come first served.

This is a loan, no money up front. I will mail them tomorrow. When you get replacements from LHR send me a set and the postage incicated on the box I sent. Indicate first class or small priority box.

AL

570 685 WOOD

liquidguitars
02-11-2014, 06:38 PM

I tried. Our store software won't let us.

If I read this right LHR is out of brushes because it's the " customers fault " for planing ahead and saving shipping costs not innovatory. I never heard of anything like this before in retail. Floyd would you like your quantity limited because you not ordered the right quantity of sheet goods :) also has no one thought that some people have more than one machine???

TerryT
02-11-2014, 06:49 PM
The last time I bought brushes was from Askbud. Enough for all of my cut motors. And free shipping! So I guess I'm not one of those darn customers that keep pestering you for parts! LOL

However, I did have to order board sensors today. My phone battery went dead towards the end so I'm not sure it the order was completed. I tried calling right back but the "We're closed" lady answered. I was hoping Israel would call me back but it didn't happen. I guess I'll call again tomorrow.

lynnfrwd
02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
If they are not on a call at 6:00 pm, the system turns their phone off and they can neither receive or make a call. I can, but I was on the phone with a customer until after 6. I'll try to remember to check with Israel in the morning.

fwharris
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
If I read this right LHR is out of brushes because it's the " customers fault " for planing ahead and saving shipping costs not innovatory. I never heard of anything like this before in retail. Floyd would you like your quantity limited because you not ordered the right quantity of sheet goods :) also has no one thought that some people have more than one machine???

Not an issue for those who order 2-4 sets at a time as that is what I do. I do have a few carvers near me that I help out. Those who go for 8 - 10 well I doubt they have that many machines.

I've got my supply system quantities all coordinated out with my supplier, so no issue on my end or his. When I place an pick up my materials he automatically re orders for the next time. The first guy was a total different story, place an order with enough advance time until I needed it and still waited up to 2 weeks to get it.

SteveNelson46
02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
SO for the Excited Users wanting to go with a non LHR Brush....

Something to know.....

1. The length of the Spring and teather that little copper wire that prevents the brush spring from entering the commutator acting as a dog chain.... is very important.... SCRUNCH up a longer spring and you put more pressure on the brush and when the brush wears out the metal spring enters the moving parts.....

2. Not all carbon hardness is the same....

3. Just say no.... :)

AL

The last time LHR was out of brushes I tried for 2 or 3 days looking for a local vendor that had the exact size. My search was in vain. Connie was kind enough to send me a used set (I still owe her for that one) that was in one of their test machines. The point here is that is extremely difficult if not impossible to find a replacement without going through LHR. Even on the internet. Then, even if they could be found, they may not meet the specs of the cut motor.

bergerud
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Way back when LHR quit shipping to Canada, I just went to an AC motor repair shop and bought 1/2 X 1/2 X 1/4 AC brushes, sanded them down, switched the springs and they lasted me 2 or 3 hundred hours. It is not rocket science.

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Way back when LHR quit shipping to Canada, I just went to an AC motor repair shop and bought 1/2 X 1/2 X 1/4 AC brushes, sanded them down, switched the springs and they lasted me 2 or 3 hundred hours. It is not rocket science.

That would and did work...

Midnight no takers...

AL

SteveNelson46
02-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Not an issue for those who order 2-4 sets at a time as that is what I do. I do have a few carvers near me that I help out. Those who go for 8 - 10 well I doubt they have that many machines.

I've got my supply system quantities all coordinated out with my supplier, so no issue on my end or his. When I place an pick up my materials he automatically re orders for the next time. The first guy was a total different story, place an order with enough advance time until I needed it and still waited up to 2 weeks to get it.

If your supplier isn't LHR could you share his/her name?. I think many of would be interested in an alternate source.

CW-HAL9000
02-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Quote Originally Posted by fwharris It might be a good idea to limit the quantity they can buy at one time..
I tried. Our store software won't let us.Actually those who ordered extra look pretty smart right about now. I think its an inventory management problem. I have two machines and I order 4 at a time When I am down to One set I order 4 more. I also keep an extra y gear and fsc cable. And yes with the outrageous shipping you have to bulk order. The only problem is that I figured that by us doing that (bulk ordering to save shipping) we encourage LHR to keep shipping costs high. They get the extra profit from shipping as well as the additional sales.

fwharris
02-12-2014, 12:01 AM
Quote Originally Posted by fwharris It might be a good idea to limit the quantity they can buy at one time..Actually those who ordered extra look pretty smart right about now. I think its an inventory management problem. I have two machines and I order 4 at a time When I am down to One set I order 4 more. I also keep an extra y gear and fsc cable. And yes with the outrageous shipping you have to bulk order. The only problem is that I figured that by us doing that (bulk ordering to save shipping) we encourage LHR to keep shipping costs high. They get the extra profit from shipping as well as the additional sales.

I do not think it is those who order 2-4 at a time that is the issue. I have been told there are some who order 10 +. I seriously doubt they are using that many brushes, but you never know.

They are probably being ordered more often since the recommended 250 hours on the cut motor has been posted and we are being a little more pro active on having our spare parts available for when we need them.

Ton80
02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
It's good to be proactive for sure.. ordering 10 sets seems a bit much to me but as stated prior, it's not a real good reason for LHR to be out of stock on an item as important as cut motor brushes. With 20,000 + machines sold I can't imagine letting inventory dropping below 100 pairs before replacing stock.

I can't imagine it would add much to the cost so maybe sourcing an AMERICAN company for the brushes could be a possibility to avoid the customs delays?

DocWheeler
02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I can't imagine it would add much to the cost so maybe sourcing an AMERICAN company for the brushes could be a possibility to avoid the customs delays?
I would certainly vote for that!

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2014, 10:14 AM
I bulked up on brushes and X Gears a few years ago as at the time I wondered if LHR might close it's doors..... It was a time when the fee structure changed and I was not getting a warm fuzzy... and I depend on the machine.... At this point I see the company as strong and with the new CX I do get that warm fuzzy that they will be here for a long time.

I have 4 machines but only use one for now.

No takers on the 3 sets of brushes. I am heading to the store with my Big Truck and forklift to get Milk and Bread.... (not really....lol) Can never have enough for a 7 inch snow storm...

AL

CW-HAL9000
02-12-2014, 02:18 PM
I bulked up on brushes and X Gears a few years ago as at the time I wondered if LHR might close it's doors..... It was a time when the fee structure changed and I was not getting a warm fuzzy... and I depend on the machine.... At this point I see the company as strong and with the new CX I do get that warm fuzzy that they will be here for a long time.I have 4 machines but only use one for now.No takers on the 3 sets of brushes. I am heading to the store with my Big Truck and forklift to get Milk and Bread.... (not really....lol) Can never have enough for a 7 inch snow storm... ALSooooo, you are the CW Hoarder!!! Its all your fault! LOL, Actually like I said earlier, you are the smart one. I also was worried about that time and to be honest I still am from time to time.

srfliny
02-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Hi AL... I just left you a voice mail.... Desperate in need of brushes.... I had a stupid attack and forgot to order them from CW last month... I'll take what ever you can send.... Will pay you back immediately upon receiving them from CW too... 631 335 adpm... waiting for the snow in New York.....

Scott

srfliny
02-12-2014, 03:36 PM
After reading the fine print... I'm not really interested in after market brushes.... Cut motors seem expensive... sanding and then swapping the wire and the spring seems risky and it will void the warranty on the motor if it goes wrong...

SteveNelson46
02-12-2014, 03:49 PM
If your supplier isn't LHR could you share his/her name?. I think many of would be interested in an alternate source.

Floyd,
I think I got confused here and assumed you were talking about cut motor brushes.

bergerud
02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
After reading the fine print... I'm not really interested in after market brushes.... Cut motors seem expensive... sanding and then swapping the wire and the spring seems risky and it will void the warranty on the motor if it goes wrong...

You do not swap the wire, just the spring. And, if you are needing new brushes, I think the warranty is over.

srfliny
02-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Nope.. Still under warranty

srfliny
02-12-2014, 04:20 PM
Yes... cut motor brushes

bergerud
02-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Nope.. Still under warranty

You need new brushes and are still under warranty; really?

fwharris
02-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Floyd,
I think I got confused here and assumed you were talking about cut motor brushes.

Nope, sheet metal....

johnsonswamp
02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
Someone could try this.

http://ohiocarbon.com/docs/Helpful-Order-Form-1.pdf

http://ohiocarbon.com/products/industrial

srfliny
03-06-2014, 10:47 AM
UPDATE: Well, I waited for the brushes to come from china to Texas and then to get shipped to me in New York.... AL had significant snow issues and wasn't able to get them out for a while.... Carvewright as promissed shipped the brushes on the 27th of Feb.. I watched the tracking number every day praying for their arrival.... On the third of March. The tracking data shows that the package went out for delivery in another zip code ten miles from my home zip code.... I called that post office and nobody can tell me where the package went.... So the brushes that came all the way from CHINA got lost ten miles from my house by the USPS.... I waited two days... Still no answer as to what happened to my package.... I have several customers waiting for weeks for items that I am unable to cut.... They email me every day asking where their items are... one guy is in Australia and I have run out of answers for them... I was thinking this is it.... I am ruined on Ebay... They will never trust me again... I was headed into the Garage to go and Hang Myself when out of the corner of my eye I spied the mail man walking up my driveway with the mail bundle for the day... In that bundle was a brown envelope... I dropped the rest of the mail on the driveway and savagely ripped the package open without even looking at it to reveal the most beautiful set of cutter motor brushes I have ever seen... I turned the packaging over and read the return address.... Pocono Digital Woodshop... I Yelled at the top of my Lungs........... "AL!!! YOU BEAUTIFUL SON OF A BITCH! YOU SAVED MY ***!!!!" I don't know what you drink sir but as soon as I am able to afford such things again, you'll be drinking an awful lot of it... THANK YOU FOR COMING THROUGH AL.... You Sir are truly a gentleman who keeps his word... As for the package CW sent... It's in USPS Limbo some place.... God only knows when that will arrive.... but... Thanks to AL the sun is shining again in my little wood shop.... And my carvewright is humming away... Cutting Product!

lynnfrwd
03-06-2014, 11:08 AM
Looks like the USPS may have scanned it in Melville NY this morning. Well, hopefully, you will have a spare set soon.

Digitalwoodshop
03-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Another HAPPY Carver.... Sorry for the delay... Glad they arrived... We had serious snow problems.....

:) AL

Mikewiz
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Hey srfliny,
Where in NY are you? I'm from Orange County.

want2b
03-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Did they run out already?? I just went to order a pair and the site says out of stock until Dec 30.
http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=18236&cat=255

Rick H

lynnfrwd
03-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Just never updated. I fixed it. Thanks!

Lobo
04-25-2014, 01:21 PM
I bought some from Amazon.com. They were sold by uxcell and had the name, Amico, on the boxes when they came. There were eight pieces (four sets), and they measured 15.5 x 13 x 7 mm. I sanded them down to size (12 x 12 x 6) and put the springs from the originals on them. They seem to work perfectly. The package of four sets cost $5.18. For an extra $3.99, you can get them in one day (if you're a Prime member.)

unitedcases
04-25-2014, 01:22 PM
I bought some from Amazon.com. They were sold by uxcell and had the name, Amico, on the boxes when they came. There were eight pieces (four sets), and they measured 15.5 x 13 x 7 mm. I sanded them down to size (12 x 12 x 6) and put the springs from the originals on them. They seem to work perfectly. The package of four sets cost $5.18. For an extra $3.99, you can get them in one day (if you're a Prime member.)

How much testing have you done with them though? Have you ran them alot?

Lobo
04-25-2014, 01:29 PM
As of now, they have 11 hours of use. They have worn very little -- just enough to put a slight curve on the end. Because I'm a natural worrywart, I'll replace them with LHR's brushes -- if they ever get them in stock.

I had let the old ones go so long (454 hours) that they were causing problems: stalling, uneven running, etc.