PDA

View Full Version : Y truck very tight after adjusting

srfliny
02-10-2014, 01:19 PM
I watched the video and loosened the screw to let the Y belt self tension and now it seems the Y truck is too tight. I can't move it by hand like before... I am afraid it will burn the y motor out like this... I ran one Y axes test and it seems very tight when the truck moves... Any Suggestions?

fwharris
02-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Is this with the power on or off?

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
I watched the video and loosened the screw to let the Y belt self tension and now it seems the Y truck is too tight. I can't move it by hand like before... I am afraid it will burn the y motor out like this... I ran one Y axes test and it seems very tight when the truck moves... Any Suggestions?

If it's really difficult to move with the power off, you may have a bearing that is frozen. I just had that problem with one of the machines I do consulting for. They had been using the dry lube. This mixed with the liquid lube and caused a very stiff bearing. I just shot a perfuse amount of chain lube with moly into the bearing and kept spinning it by hand until it was turning relatively free. The point is: Don't mix dry and liquid lubes. Not sure if this is your problem but, it might be something to check.

srfliny
02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Yes... Apparently... The spring pulls the belt too tight on my machine... With the belt too tight the truck won't move at all by hand... I removed the Y motor to make sure the issue wasn't on that end, Then realized it was on the tensioner end. Loosening the screw again and using a flat head screwdriver to pry the tension er back a bit and making the belt a littler looser seems to have fixed it... Have to stop watching those CW Vids... Bad for the machine LOL

bergerud
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
The problem is probably not the tensioner. If the bearings are loose or the motor gear is too close to the large gear, the belt pulls the gears together. With the y motor in your hands, try to turn the sprocket while you pull on it like the belt would. I would think that either you need new bearings or you need to adjust how the gears mesh.

srfliny
02-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I had the Y motor out and it and the bearings seemed fine... No play in the shaft and the gears meshed perfectly.. Once I loosened the belt a little the thing worked normally.

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2014, 03:26 PM
The Y Motor mounts to the machine in a U shaped slot.... It is commom to let the motor be pulled so the big gear plastic between the belt and the big gear are rubbing against the center of the machine U frame causing the problem.... It is also common to not have one of the 4 rail bearings CENTERED on the Rail and the FLAT spot on one side of the bearings is actually pressing against the rail.

Just my 2 cents...

AL