PDA

View Full Version : Tricking board sensor

zan29
02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Is there a way to trick the board sensor to measure a board in length shorter than it actual is? Does that make any sense? Otherwise I'll have to make a 60" long jig.

dltccf
02-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Is there a way to trick the board sensor to measure a board in length shorter than it actual is? Does that make any sense? Otherwise I'll have to make a 60" long jig.

Are you using Center on Board or place on end? If you select place on end or jog to position, it will only measure enough of the board to fit the project.

Is you design itself actually 60" long or do you want to put a small design on a long board?

dave

zan29
02-10-2014, 11:22 AM
The logo has to be in the middle of that board but it's only 4" wide so I made a jig to fit the carving and tried tricking the sensor with different colored tapes but it won't work, it's for an old pickup truck

zan29
02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
The board is 4 x 60 and the logo is 5 x 3.

bergerud
02-10-2014, 11:29 AM
Measure a 12 X 4 board and use place on center. Just before it starts to carve, stop, switch boards. It may cry "Possible Board Removal", just press continue. Take care not to move the tracking roller when you switch boards.

zan29
02-10-2014, 11:47 AM
Stupid question probably but how to I make sure the other board is in the right place?

bergerud
02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Just mark where you want the carve to start and put it under the bit. I assume that you can be off a little for the center of a 5 ft board.

You could also, I guess, put the short board on top in the middle of the long one (stick somehow). Then switch out the short one before the carve or even before the touch.

zan29
02-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Got it.........tx bergerud!

FWMiller
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I've done this by measuring and marking the center of the board with an X. The design in the carvewright software was the size of the carve instead of the size of the board. When it sees the board is bigger than the design it asked to keep original size or scale and I selected keep original size. When it asked where to place select jog to position and select the position as center. You can get pretty close by aligning the tip of the 1/16th carving bit to a mark on the board. You still might have to jog the board a long way depending on where the board is when you start but you wouldn't need a jig.

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM

If your board is actually 4" by 60" and the actual size of your carving is only 5" by 3" then you don't need a jig. Just tell it to center on board (if that is where you want the pattern) and NOT to stay under the rollers. When it's actually carving your pattern it will always be under the rollers anyway as long as you have at least 3 1/2" of board left before the pattern. Using this approach, you only need to make the virtual board size in the Designer 6" by 3.5". This isn't necessary but, might make it a little easier to design.

EDIT: In fact, if you make the virtual board size 6" by 3.5" it won't matter whether you answer "Yes" or No" to the "Stay Under Rollers" question.

dltccf
02-10-2014, 12:09 PM

OK, then just create your 5x3 project and put in big board. Before you start mark the center of the board. Then when you get to the place on board question just select jog to position, it will ask edge or center, choose center. Then use the arrow keys to move the bit right over the x you made to mark the center of the board. No "tricking" necessary the capability is built in.

dave

Digitalwoodshop
02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
IF I was doing this project I would use the "Easy Button"....

Measure the physical board and get a center number. Make the board in Designer a foot longer than the center of the physical board.

Draw a box on the board a inch wide and the length of the center of the physical board to use as a measuring stick.

Adjust the 1 inch measuring stick so it is even with the right side of designer. It now shows you where the center of your physical board is.

Place you logo centered on the left end of the measuring stick.

Use Place on END and NO stay under rollers... The board will move to the 1 foot past center and stop and do the bit touch. When you start carving it will move to the correct postion to start carving.... If Logo is wider use 2 foot past center as designer length....

Easy Button.....

and only measures once... LESS Servo Time and LESS wear and tear....

AL

zan29
02-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Well it's carving away right now. Managed to use my jig and inserting the board into the jig once it was ready to carve like Bergerud said. Didn't have to raise the head with the way my jig was made.
Thanks all!

bergerud
02-10-2014, 01:51 PM
You know, they were all right. You could have just measured and carved the board. It is not like it was big and heavy. I was biased as soon as I read "trick" the machine and down that road I went because I love to find ways to trick the machine.

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 01:56 PM
You know, they were all right. You could have just measured and carved the board. It is not like it was big and heavy. I was biased as soon as I read "trick" the machine and down that road I went because I love to find ways to trick the machine.

So, are you a "trickee" or a "trickor". LOL

zan29
02-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Your method sounds real easy but dummie me here is not quite sure what you're trying to say.:confused:

IF I was doing this project I would use the "Easy Button"....

Measure the physical board and get a center number. Make the board in Designer a foot longer than the center of the physical board.

Draw a box on the board a inch wide and the length of the center of the physical board to use as a measuring stick.

Adjust the 1 inch measuring stick so it is even with the right side of designer. It now shows you where the center of your physical board is.

Place you logo centered on the left end of the measuring stick.

Use Place on END and NO stay under rollers... The board will move to the 1 foot past center and stop and do the bit touch. When you start carving it will move to the correct postion to start carving.... If Logo is wider use 2 foot past center as designer length....

Easy Button.....

and only measures once... LESS Servo Time and LESS wear and tear....

AL

DocWheeler
02-10-2014, 04:03 PM
That was a little hard to follow.
Al, send us a picture!

Digitalwoodshop
02-11-2014, 10:27 AM
Basically if you had a 6 foot board you needed to put a logo dead centere... your Designer board could only be 4 feet long using the right side of designer as the front of the board and the top of the screen as the brass roller. Draw a rectangle 3 feet long and say 1 inch wide and position it on the board with the right edge on the right side of designer. Now the left side of the 3 foot rectangle acts as a on board ruller... This lets you place the logo on the left side of the ruler centered on the edge. It is the same as drawing a 6 foot board in designer and using the center line. By only having a 4 foot long designer board you can then use place on end or corner and the machine will run down to the 4 foot point of the board during measuring of a 6 foot long physical board. It only needs to get to the center of the physical board... So a 4 foot designer board and place on end and telling the machine to NOT stay under the rollers... and the logo should deposit itself in the center of the physical board....

I did this project on a prototype Accountability Board where I had to match up the center of Text Blocks made in Corel Draw to a slot for each text block... I went in Corel and measured with a movable grid line the exact distance the center of each slot needed to be and wrote down that number.... In Designer I made one ruler at a time the exact length and based it on a common point on the Designer Board. I adjusted the slot using the ruler made by using a rectangle the exact size I needed... The Rectangle will not cut... unless you assign a bit to it....

In picture 3 I have the right side of designer lined up with the 4 inch grid line and have yet to adjust the oval hole to the center of the ruler.

The Whole reason to do this place on end is that the machine does not have to measure the 6 foot board TWICE.... Only a 4 foot board ONCE.... Hence.... The EASY BUTTON....

Hope that helps...

AL

zan29
02-12-2014, 06:30 AM
Thanks Al!

Digitalwoodshop
02-12-2014, 10:52 AM
So using place on end and the ruler function of drawing a box to 3 digits... as in 1.123 inch... You can measure from the right side of designer and place any object very easy based on the head end of the board. Using Place on End is your friend... :)

AL