PDA

View Full Version : Cover switch

zan29
02-08-2014, 03:38 PM
Can't seem to get my cover switch to work. Changed all the connectors and even changed the switch but the sensor keeps saying "open". Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks all!

fwharris
02-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Do you have the cables from the cover plugged in?

zan29
02-08-2014, 03:47 PM
I hope that's a joke......lolol Yes I do!

henry1
02-08-2014, 04:12 PM
I hope that's a joke......lolol Yes I do!
Hope you did not ben one of the pin when you plug it in lol

zan29
02-08-2014, 04:42 PM
LOL no Henry and the thing is, it was working fine yesterday but had to remove the cover to re-install the flexshaft and that was IT.

DocWheeler
02-08-2014, 05:08 PM
There is a thread here somewhere cautioning about the cover pressing too hard on the switches when the cover is off.
It can bend the switch-lever far enough to make it not work correctly. May need to check that you hear the switch click.

RogerB
02-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Did you try moving the switch a head it may not be in the right place to far back.

blhutchens
02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
I had one give me fits ….took it loose of the machine to blew it out and discovered a wire broke right at the switch.

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2014, 11:38 AM
I had one give me fits ….took it loose of the machine to blew it out and discovered a wire broke right at the switch.

Good Job finding it... !!!!

I was going to post... The Plug for the cover Switch "CAN" be forced in 180 degrees out... It will give you a "Open cover" all the time... White wire in the bundle should face the center of the machine...

Just posted for the future when someone searches this...

AL

zan29
02-10-2014, 01:25 PM
I finally found why my cover switch wasn't working and the problem I've been having with my cutouts shifting on the last pass. This little thing is guilty as charged. Broken wires right by the termination board. Finally made a perfect cutout this morning after months of having to do it myself.

bergerud
02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
Can you show us a picture of the broken wires? Also, can you explain just how the cutouts shifted? I think this could be new, important trouble shooting info.

zan29
02-10-2014, 02:48 PM
I posted that cutout problem a while back. At the last pass of the last cutout (always), the bit would shift around 1/16". Sometimes less, sometimes more so it would end up cutting though the whole thickness of the board. The same reason why I had a fire back in October I think. The bit was trying to cut through a piece of hardwood and it ignited. I called LHR but the only thing he could think about was my encoder which I verified and it was fine to me. Couple of days ago, my hubby and I were troubleshooting for the cover switch problem and he noticed that my cable had some wear and tear so to me, it made sense that my switch and cutouts were not working properly cause it's all connected together on that termination board behind the belt. So by changing the cable, I solved 2 problems.......still keeping my fingers crossed. Just finished a logo and it worked fine.

bergerud
02-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks. I get it now. The shift was in the z direction. Another thing to add to our list.

zan29
02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Also, forgot to mention, it started giving me a z axis stall error code ending with 0312 if I remember well.

SteveNelson46
02-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I posted that cutout problem a while back. At the last pass of the last cutout (always), the bit would shift around 1/16". Sometimes less, sometimes more so it would end up cutting though the whole thickness of the board. The same reason why I had a fire back in October I think. The bit was trying to cut through a piece of hardwood and it ignited. I called LHR but the only thing he could think about was my encoder which I verified and it was fine to me. Couple of days ago, my hubby and I were troubleshooting for the cover switch problem and he noticed that my cable had some wear and tear so to me, it made sense that my switch and cutouts were not working properly cause it's all connected together on that termination board behind the belt. So by changing the cable, I solved 2 problems.......still keeping my fingers crossed. Just finished a logo and it worked fine.

I had a similar thing happen when I was carving the base for a lamp project I did recently. I didn't put enough tabs in to hold the project in place. Right at the very last of a 4.5 hour carve it came loose and ruined the whole thing. I knew better but....