PDA

View Full Version : I need help with color ideas

DocWheeler
02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
Being red/green colorblind should make no difference, however, colorblind or color-weak
folks tend to not dwell on colors and therefore need this kind of help.

The double-sided sign is 23.25" X 10.5" and I intend to paint all of it - I just can't decide on colors.
It will probably hang inside their store in the window; it is a Christmas present I hope to have completed while I'm able.

Our town is "The Antiques Capital of the Midwest" where there are a lot of old things besides me.
Chris, my future stepson-in-law has started a lamp repair sideline; the part in the middle banner is my idea.

Anyway, I had thought of red (edge or lettering), white (background), and blue (edge or lettering) with
the banner and centerline text ?? (maybe gold and black?).
I would appreciate some ideas from the forum.

RogerB
02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Gold lettering makes a sharp looking sign. I use gold markers they work great for me. I like the font for that sign .

DocWheeler
02-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks Roger, I wanted to use gold somewhere.

bergerud
02-06-2014, 04:40 PM
I am no artist but, with a sign like that, I would think the company colors or the surrounding colors would be important. The context of where the sign will be. The color of the building and so on.

lynnfrwd
02-06-2014, 05:12 PM
I know you asked about colors, but....

I just have this thing about capitalization of company names.

Chris's (Chris' & Chris's is correct)
Small Electrical Appliance and
Lamp Repair

DocWheeler
02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Dan,

It will probably go in the window of the store in the middle of the picture (next to the lighter-colored building).
It is an unexpected gift to him, so I have no real idea what he will do with it. No company colors.

Roger,

I tried to use the 3D software to shape the letters in a way to make them easier to paint.
Took the sides almost down to the background, hope it works.

Connie,

I'm kinda sneaking that New part of his business in on him; he does not know about it!
Kind of an added feature, not his business name - but thanks for the input.
I did not like the "Chris'" and was hoping the way I had it was legal!

Deolman
02-06-2014, 05:34 PM
I like the overall design as it shows class.

I am with Connie - all words except the "and" should be capitalized. Having said that

Red Edge, black letters, white background and light grey banner.

SharonB
02-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Ken... I like Deolman's selection of colors. But you might think about the "antique" side of the project and go with a Wine color instead of Red, an Off-white or Cream for the background color, Black for the letters (I think black shows up more at a distance), and maybe a Antique Gold or Sage Green for the banner. Usually what I do is print off a couple pictures of a design, get out the colored pencils or crayons and try several different combinations. Hope this gives you some ideas. Good luck with the project as I think it will turn out beautiful whatever you do with the colors.

DocWheeler
02-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Deolman,

Thanks for your comment and color suggestions. The sign is carved, so the capitalizations must be saved for the next one.
I'm keeping track of the colors to see what it would look like. I like the light-grey banner suggestion.

Sharon,

I was hoping that you would sign-in tonight. I will try to find the colored pencils I bought my wife a few years ago, thanks.

This is a different town, less than a thousand houses and about 2,800 people.
Mainly antique stores and places to eat. Town established in 1797, six years before the State, and still a small town.
Stetson hat started here, Mad Anthony Wayne, and quite a number of important people have lived here.
An adjoining property used to be a stagecoach stop. There is a mill-race in the river for a mill that is long-gone.

The internet threatened the businesses for awhile until my stepdaughter thought of using Facebook to sell antiques.
There is a lot of foot-traffic since there are quite a few stores in town, so the sign will be mainly for people fairly close.

I thought of doing each side differently since one will face into the store, at least that way they could turn it the way they liked.
I'm going to put fasteners in the top to hang it with a small chain.
Chris will probably not care what color it is or even if it exists because he will become a father about three months before Christmas

aokweld101
02-07-2014, 09:05 AM
There a lot of history in that town so maybe the antique look is the way to go, when I was younger.... way back when... my mother would use a solid color for the base and used a sponge or news paper all squeezed up and dabbed a second color on in spots.. She said it was called antiquing....:D

DocWheeler
02-07-2014, 12:01 PM
I certainly appreciate you folk's help, I should have asked before putting it in the machine.
Yes, I definitely should have capitalized "repair" as that was the point of the sign.
My concerns about making the sign to look antique would be that it might look like
an item for sale rather than a service offered.

My wife suggested a crackle finish and I looked into milk paint; not sure I'll go there.
Perhaps my biggest concerns with crackle finishes are that most have a short window of workability,
brushing is more demanding, and cleaning up any other paint from the crackle finish might be difficult.

I was a little surprised that nobody suggested a dark background with gold lettering.

I need to get a base-coat on it to smooth-out the carved area, but I should have an idea about what will go over it.

aokweld101
02-07-2014, 12:16 PM
Hey Doc, How about a black background and gold lettering.....lol...:p

DocWheeler
02-07-2014, 12:19 PM
That could work, good idea!

DocWheeler
03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
I should have known, after all I've been married long enough!
After mentioning to my wife that I was unsure about colors, I was given suggestions.

Anyway, I got to experiment with milk paint - great stuff!
Since it is a powder you can create anything from tinted-water to crack-filler!
I might add that as a painter I should not give up my day-job.

So here is what it ended up looking like; complete without good capitalizations.

RogerB
03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Doc that looks great. Like the font also.

Dale
03-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Great choice of colors!

aokweld101
03-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Great job Doc, a job well done considering you didn't know of what colors to use and I will add great colors....

eelamb
03-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Doc, I am like you as to colors. I let my wife pick the colors. Your sign looks great, and the paint job came out great too.

DocWheeler
03-05-2014, 06:38 PM
The paint (powder) was purchased from Van Dykes in pint bags.
Mix with equal amount of warm water, mix, and try to use it up before it dries.
The colors are Pitch Black, Light Cream, Soldier Blue, and Marigold Yellow.
The paint is very fast drying and very flat in appearance.
All colors except the black easily rinsed out of the brushes.

I'm not sure whether or not I'm going to put on a clear top-coat or not,
kinda tired of the project at this point. (note: water-based top-coat is NOT advised)

I also bought a crackle-finish product to use, but I chickened out.