PDA

View Full Version : Designer 2

carrothers
02-03-2014, 11:14 PM
I have noticed that Designer 2 is taking an inordinate amount of time to process changes when I'm working on a design. It's probably my desktop computer since it's 3 or 4 years old and I'm thinking of getting a laptop that I can work with in the workshop. Anyone have any thoughts about whether Apple will run this software better than Windows? I plan on not hooking this one up to the internet except to load the software from LHR and then making sure Designer 2 is the only thing that is on the machine. Any help in getting the specs right would be appreciated...memory, dual core, graphics cards, etc. I do a lot with Centerline and it really loads my current machine down. If you could start with a clean sheet of paper what would you suggest. thanks.

SteveNelson46
02-04-2014, 01:14 PM
I have noticed that Designer 2 is taking an inordinate amount of time to process changes when I'm working on a design. It's probably my desktop computer since it's 3 or 4 years old and I'm thinking of getting a laptop that I can work with in the workshop. Anyone have any thoughts about whether Apple will run this software better than Windows? I plan on not hooking this one up to the internet except to load the software from LHR and then making sure Designer 2 is the only thing that is on the machine. Any help in getting the specs right would be appreciated...memory, dual core, graphics cards, etc. I do a lot with Centerline and it really loads my current machine down. If you could start with a clean sheet of paper what would you suggest. thanks.

You might try wiping the HD and re-installing the OS. Over time, windows can accumulate a lot of "stuff" that can really slow things down. I've done this hundreds of times when I worked in IT and most users were amazed at the speed increase. Of course this all depends on the age your computer and what it was used for. However, a computer that's only 3 years or so old may work out to be a substantial increase in speed and may allow you to delay the purchase of a new computer for awhile.

lynnfrwd
02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
I also suggested in PM to turn OFF hardware accellaration under EDIT > PREFERENCES > 3D GRAPHICS.

To answer his question, any new computer should work and, of course, higher RAM and processor will be better.

carrothers
02-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I took both suggestions...first I went in and degragged, discarded a ton of temporary, msconfig'ed and turned off a dozen programs that were vying for attention and then did the Edit/Preferences, 3D graphics and that seemed to speed things up significantly. I have a quad processor with 8 gig of ram which should be plenty of horsepower. anxious to try a new project and see how all these changes will improve the speed

fwharris
02-04-2014, 07:42 PM
You might also look at the number of patterns you have loaded into your favorites file (pattern list). If you have a large number it will slow designer down.