PDA

View Full Version : Slicer

dbfletcher
02-03-2014, 07:37 PM
I'd love to hear about the pros and cons of the newly announced "slicer". I've been using Netfabb for years for fixing, slicing, merging, and converting stl files. And oh ya... netfabb basic is still...... free.

lynnfrwd
02-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Functions just like stl importer.

lynnfrwd
02-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Netfabb won't make you a ptn.

lynnfrwd
02-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Again, this product is NOT for CW users.

dbfletcher
02-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Again, this product is NOT for CW users.

I currently have 3 3D printers. I just wanted to start a discussion on what Slicer bring to the table that I may be able to use with them. Beyond the capabilities of slicing, merging, repairing, scaling, rotating, etc that several free software packages already offer.

lynnfrwd
02-03-2014, 08:06 PM
I've never used any other. I'm sure joe can address your questions.

lynnfrwd
02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
You can use your stl importer with pattern editor to export as stl slices for your 3d printers.

Alan Malmstrom
02-04-2014, 08:22 AM
The STL Importer software is a nice piece of software. It gives a very clean on screen look to the object and slices. It's also very easy to use. And if you position the 3D image for a good side view and save as an stl in blender then you can use the STL software to flatten out the image in a way that will make it usable for bas relief carving. The only drawback is that you must export an slice as a raster image to work on it. And the raster image comes out very bumpy and has a lot of stepping when you bring it back in to designer. If it could export a smoother image it would be so much better. But if you just take the image and export as a pattern in the favorites folder its smooth as can be. But your always going to have to edit slices and Pattern Editor is not a good program to do it in. In fact I have yet to be able to figure out how to use Pattern Editor.

SteveNelson46
02-04-2014, 12:11 PM
You can use your stl importer with pattern editor to export as stl slices for your 3d printers.

Connie,

Are there any differences between the STL importer and the stand alone Slicer program?

lynnfrwd
02-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Connie,

Are there any differences between the STL importer and the stand alone Slicer program?

STL Importer is accessed through Designer Software and can export as a .ptn for use in the CW. To export as an .STL format, you also need Pattern Editor software.

Slicer does not use Designer Software, it is a stand-alone. It can only export as an .stl format, which other cnc machines & 3d printers can import. It cannot export as a .ptn (CW's format for patterns.)

Again, CarveWright customers do not need to buy Slicer. It is for NON-CarveWright customers only.

SteveNelson46
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
STL Importer is accessed through Designer Software and can export as a .ptn for use in the CW. To export as an .STL format, you also need Pattern Editor software.

Slicer does not use Designer Software, it is a stand-alone. It can only export as an .stl format, which other cnc machines & 3d printers can import. It cannot export as a .ptn (CW's format for patterns.)

Again, CarveWright customers do not need to buy Slicer. It is for NON-CarveWright customers only.

Thanks Connie.

55president
02-11-2014, 08:33 AM
I didn't see this thread until afterI started another thread about slicer. So I'm assuming it's not Slic3r the software I'm using now for my 3-d printer. Dbfletcher-- I've never used netfabb but I'll have to try it out.
thanks.

FXP

jlovchik
02-11-2014, 01:04 PM
Netfabb basic doesn't give you the tilt and rotate capabilities of the slicing plane that Slicer has. You can only slice in one axis direction at a time. The pay version of Netfabb, that gives you some of Slicer's functions, is about $350. It's a British company so the price is in pounds and fluctuates a little now and then. Slicer is mainly designed for CNC use and its tools lend itself to that application the best, though 3D printers can definitely utilize the same tools to make larger assemblies. As this software progresses, we have plans to add many more functions to it to enhance its use.

I'd love to hear about the pros and cons of the newly announced "slicer". I've been using Netfabb for years for fixing, slicing, merging, and converting stl files. And oh ya... netfabb basic is still...... free.

liquidguitars
02-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Netfabb won't make you a ptn.

Does Slicer?

lynnfrwd
02-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Does Slicer?

When I said, "Netfabb won't make you a ptn", we were talking about STL Importer. No. Slicer will not make a .ptn. People who need .ptn's (CarveWright owners) will use STL Importer. People that don't have CarveWright can use Slicer.

dbfletcher
02-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Netfabb basic doesn't give you the tilt and rotate capabilities of the slicing plane that Slicer has. You can only slice in one axis direction at a time. The pay version of Netfabb, that gives you some of Slicer's functions, is about $350. It's a British company so the price is in pounds and fluctuates a little now and then. Slicer is mainly designed for CNC use and its tools lend itself to that application the best, though 3D printers can definitely utilize the same tools to make larger assemblies. As this software progresses, we have plans to add many more functions to it to enhance its use.

All I will say is I don't really agree with Joe's synopsis (you absolutely can slice in any arbitrary plane... you may just have to be a little creative to get there-- rotate the object instead of rotating the plane). I would just recommend any users who are interested in buying slicer, to try the free options out there first (netfabb being just one of them). I don't own slicer so I cant do a side by side comparison, but I do own the STL importer. From personal experience I haven't run into a situation that I couldn't solve with netfabb and/or other tools. Meshlab is another great program for manipulating STL's/

RMarkey
02-12-2014, 09:41 AM
I don't own slicer

You don't have to own it to try it...