PDA

View Full Version : Y Axis Stall

tcough3475
02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Okay, I know there are many post on this subject and I'm sure I'm not the first with this one but can't find a previous post so reaching out to the forum.

I have a C-model with 106 hours on it with no issues what so ever till today. Started a carve that I've done before with no problems. Today when I run it, everything goes normally at board measure, etc. and the carve begins. The truck moves to the far end of the board, begins carving moving back towards the keypad, but when the bit/truck ends that pass and begins moving away from the keypad, the bit/truck quickly jumps up and down for about an inch worth of carve but keeps moving towards the far side. It continues moving towards the far side but doesn't go as far as the first pass. It then continues toward the keypad but then ends its operation with a stall at the near side. I haven't opened it up to check the y-gears because it's doing everything normally as it's done before and there isn't any slipping or chatter when moving it manually. Reformatted the card and reloaded the project but get same results, which pretty much limits the issue to the machine.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance for your inputs.

bergerud
02-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Does that bit have 106 hours on it! Judging from the hours on your machine I would say

1. dull bit.
2. loose y belt.
3. frozen carriage roller
4. y gear box bearings or gear adjustment.

tcough3475
02-02-2014, 04:19 PM
fortunately I just received a new carve bit and gave it a try and it looks like that might have been the issue. Would never had thought of that, but glad it was that simple. Carving in red oak and now that you provided solutions, makes sense. Will re-tension the y-belt just to add that extra level of confidence (easy enough) and start the carve again tomorrow, too late to start a 9 hour carve.

Thanks Bergerud, I hope that one day I have as much experience as you and several other members on this great forum!!!

srfliny
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Pretty easy to tell when you need a new carving bit.... The work starts looking Fuzzy. I cut 12 x 8 plaques in a jig with the grain in walnut... When my two 16th inch carving bits got dull the cleanup went to an hour on each piece before paint to remove all of the Fuzzies and Stubble around any protruding lettering... Also was getting Y axes errors once in a while too... That's my Kung Pow Chicken Holder....