PDA

View Full Version : End grain carving

johnsonswamp
02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
I have a slice of a walnut tree I'm thinking about carving on, should it turn out like a normal carve or does it carve differently? Was thinking either a carve, centerline text, or both. Not sure what to do on it yet, in the process of building the sled still.

CW-HAL9000
02-02-2014, 10:53 AM
I use slices of 3/4 basswood and pine all the time, carve great with all kinds of carves. of course i use a sled with 4 inch 3/4 pieces on each end then I use masking tape all around to square it up. I do 40 or so a year. usually religious or western theme.

CW-HAL9000
02-02-2014, 10:54 AM
I mark the centers and then use jog to center to make sure the carving is centered on the round or sometimes oval slab.

SteveNelson46
02-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I have a slice of a walnut tree I'm thinking about carving on, should it turn out like a normal carve or does it carve differently? Was thinking either a carve, centerline text, or both. Not sure what to do on it yet, in the process of building the sled still.

I used a slice off of the end of a firewood log of Mesquite to make the base for this lamp.

johnsonswamp
02-02-2014, 12:43 PM
I mark the centers and then use jog to center to make sure the carving is centered on the round or sometimes oval slab.

That is something I was wondering about, I've never used the jog to option. So I mark the dead center of my oval piece, then jog the bit to that spot and it centers the pattern off it?

johnsonswamp
02-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, now that I know it'll carve good I'll go ahead with it. Just gotta figure out WHAT to put on it, I can build furniture and stuff off imagination, but when it comes to carvings and plaques/signs I cannot for the life of me come up with stuff..

CW-HAL9000
02-02-2014, 06:22 PM
That is something I was wondering about, I've never used the jog to option. So I mark the dead center of my oval piece, then jog the bit to that spot and it centers the pattern off it?Yes that is correct. Actually it centers the whole MPC so keep that in mind when designing, especially if the slab is oval which would mean narrow ends and wider center.