PDA

View Full Version : Machine Power Requirements?

dehrlich
02-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the power requirements are for the CW? I'm wondering because I have added a shelf on the bottom of my cart, installed a 1 HP dust collector on it dedicated to the carver. It says it needs 7 amps, so I'm wondering if running in and the CW on the same 20 amp circuit will be ok. Thx

bergerud
02-01-2014, 08:42 PM
I would not do that. If you have to turn the DC on while the CW is on, the surge from the DC starting will affect the CW.

Foggycarver
02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm glad you asked that question. I just bought and hooked up a dust collection today and was wondering the same thing. I won't get the machine until next week. I was wondering about running a separate 20 amp breaker.

fwharris
02-02-2014, 01:26 AM
As long as you start your dust collector first then you should not have any problems. I run my 2 hp and the CW on same circuit and I start up the dust collector during the last bit check and have not had any issues.

Foggycarver
02-02-2014, 09:26 AM
I was surprised the lil 1hp had some pretty good suction but came with a 35 micron bag :(

brdad
02-02-2014, 09:36 AM
I posted a thread about power consumption a while back here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?8520-CW-power-consumption.

I see no problem power-wise as long as you are using circuit breakers.

That being said, I agree I'd still be a little cautious starting the dust collector second. Perhaps try a few experiments while carving something you don't care about.

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Remember the better the Bag Filter or even switching to a Can Filter the better for your lungs....

It's the finest of dust that will have you dragging a Oxygen Bottle around in years to come....

Pay now or Really Pay later...

AL

fwharris
02-02-2014, 11:27 AM
I was surprised the lil 1hp had some pretty good suction but came with a 35 micron bag :(

That is the problem with most bags for dust collectors. You can get smaller micron bags though.

SteveNelson46
02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
As long as you start your dust collector first then you should not have any problems. I run my 2 hp and the CW on same circuit and I start up the dust collector during the last bit check and have not had any issues.

Same here Floyd. I run my 650 cfm Jet DC and the Carvewright on a iVac switch that starts both at the same time. I have not had any issues.

DickB
02-02-2014, 12:51 PM
I use an iSwitch, the DC starts right after the cut motor starts. Same 20 amp circuit and never had a problem.