PDA

View Full Version : rough cut lumber

morningwood
02-01-2014, 10:10 AM
do any of you use rough cut air dried lumber...or is kiln dried better, for less warps..i have used rough cut because there is so much in my area ,and is way cheaper,but some of my projects seem to warp or bow.. is there a remedy for this? thanks mike

Old Salt
02-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Kiln dry wood will not warp as bad because they heat the wood and the ligment in the wood turns to a glue and holds the grain . So yes kiln dry will work better.

peep
02-01-2014, 11:35 AM
I often buy lumber, put it through my plainer, table saw the edge straight and then carve. You have to do it soon or the board may cup. This is alote easier on the machine for me since I do really hard hardwood.

Bigtyme
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Air dried lumber will work as well as kiln dried lumber if it is done correctly. I am still using air dried hardwood I timbered 15 years ago. Air dried it for about 2 1/2 years before using it and never had an issue. I invested in a moisture meter as well and it has been a great addition to my shop.

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Having a small hobby band saw mill, the trick in using the rough wood with the CW is the possibility of getting wood that is tapered in any direction or even missing wood where the brass roller runs.... If a jam happens with tapered wood, the best that can happen is a stall.... but likely a broken sand paper belt if you use them or a broken X Drive Gear....

AL