PDA

View Full Version : simple picture frame I thought

myshop1044
01-29-2014, 06:57 PM
attached it a simple pic frame(.187) I thought I would do a region on the back of a .5" and then do cut path on the front
but then I realized the with back region done first there would be no place for the taps to hold on to the cut path area in the front.
Am I correct in thinking this, if so how do you do a simple picture frame in one piece?

My second thought was instead of doing a cut path in the front, I could do a region .25 deep and this region would clear out the area in the middle
of the frame, is this correct?
Are one piece picture suppose to be simple or am I over thinking this.

bergerud
01-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Just switch the carving to the front. Better yet forget the carving and just mill the pocket and do the cut out from the front. Single sided operation to do what you have.

myshop1044
01-29-2014, 08:00 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly do 2 carves, the first would do the cut path as he top on the first project, then remove the board flip it over and start the 2nd project that would mill out the back as thought it was the front of the board. My only question is in the process of milling out the area at some point wouldn't the milling remove the tabs from the other side and maybe cause the center piece to move around in the middle?

bergerud
01-30-2014, 12:31 AM
I mean something like this.

myshop1044
01-30-2014, 07:38 AM
That is a great way to do it and all on the same side, cut path first, then mill down the recess area and still leave the tabs.
Thanks a bunch.

Perry B.

bergerud
01-30-2014, 09:22 AM
Actually it would mill down the recess first and then do the cut path. For future reference, the order of operations follows: carving, bit paths, drills, cut-outs, edge routes.

lynnfrwd
01-30-2014, 10:22 AM
Actually it would mill down the recess first and then do the cut path. For future reference, the order of operations follows: carving, bit paths, drills, cut-outs, edge routes.

To add to that, if there is anything on the back of the project board, it will do that before it does the front.

It also measures the bits during set up in reverse order, ending with the bit you will start with.

bergerud
01-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Why would you not flip the front and back so that the cut path tabs are not cut out?

brdad
01-30-2014, 06:31 PM
I made a frame a while back and it was carved on the front, so it had to be a two sided carve (or do the back cutout on the router table, which probably would have been easier). For the cutouts I used the 3/8" bit on both sides because at the time all I had was the 1/8" bit and I feared it would break if the center piece moved while it was being cut. So, to help keep that piece in place, After the backside was cut, I took the board out to flip it and covered the entire bottom of the frame with masking tape, making sure it was stuck well. It might not be the safest method, but it worked very well.

Next time I'd do the back on the router table. No tool works 100% for all projects.

myshop1044
01-30-2014, 06:37 PM
The end results of Bergerud's front end recess and cut path trick. The first shows really the back of the board which will become the front.
The second shows the front of the board with the cut path and recess finished. You can see the taps on the bottom of the board and still holding
the cut path area, great idea. The last is the finish test product. I did the same cover with a picture and the face did not come well with all the heavy grain of the Spanish cedar .
Thanks a lot fellows I have learned a lot today.
Perry B.

SteveNelson46
01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
Earlier, I posted a couple of MPCs with a recessed region on the back (picture frame). I should have read the previous posts a little more thoroughly before I posted a reply. I was totally off the mark so I deleted the posts. Sorry for any confusion.