PDA

View Full Version : my first couple of projects

bamaman315
02-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Here are the first couple of items I carved , I really am loving this machine, It does everything but wipe your bottom !!! LOL

HandTurnedMaple
02-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Here are the first couple of items I carved , I really am loving this machine, It does everything but wipe your bottom !!! LOL

Then you're not using right...

Gary
02-20-2007, 12:18 AM
National Chamions?? Better work with that spell-checker before the final carve next time, bamaman. Otherwise, it looks great!

Gary

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2007, 12:38 AM
Ya.... I got me a Shop Clock that way..... Made a 11 x 17 Sublimated full color Plaque Clock with the Nose Art picture from a USAF Transport. Really Cool Eagle with the twin towers reflected in it's eye as it is from a New York base.

I spelled Sergeant wrong as Sargent in Master Sergeant.... Rather than trash it, I hug it to remind me to spell check before printing.

My Corel Draw 12 saw Sargent as correct.... put it in AOL write a eMail and it shows as miss spelled. Looked on the web and found it both ways....

AL

edit add

Back in my Navy days riding a Tin Can out of Norfolk, VA we had a big inspection the next morning and someone noticed that when the sailors painted the Missile Ammo Magazine doors they removed the red plastic warning signs and they were lost. We were in a panic.... Then I remembered my Brother was a MR2 or Machinery Repairman Second Class on a Sub Tender 2 piers over. And he had duty that night. So off I go with my sign list. My brother's shop also had the engraving equipment. An hour later one of his guys made the signs and I was on my way back to my ship with the signs in hand.

Next morning the inspection went off without a hitch except the comment..... Change the signs.... In our rush, we had put "Authorized Personal Only" vice "Authorized Personnel Only"

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Thank You USAF !!! Personal vs personnel
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

AL

Gary
02-20-2007, 01:21 AM
It's OK, you were in the Navy. Personal vs. personnel, you still spelt it bad. 504th Tactical Air Support Group here. Vietnam 1971. USAF. We would have won if they had let us...

Sorry about the OT. Your carvings are very nice! I hope to get busy here soon. Thanks for sharing,

Gary

bamaman315
02-20-2007, 03:53 AM
I made the bottom two as a joke for my Aunt , Her grandaughter can not say CHAMPIONS she says CHAMIONS , and besides my Aunt used to work at the university of florida.

and GO NAVY !!!!! LOL

jspringertx
02-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Reminds me of an event many years ago. I was walking down the street in my home town and noticed that the sign painter was painting a large sign for the local appliance store.

He had painted phoneograph on the sign and I said HOLD IT! I said it is spelled phonagraph (music on plastic discs for the younger readers). He thanked me and changed the spelling.

About an hour later I realized that I had told him wrong and it should have been phonograph. The sign remained that way for over 40 years and no one noticed.

I guess that is why we went to CD's as no one could spell phonograph right.

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Gary,

Thanks !!!!! Hey I did take the test for the USAF but didn't score high enough.... Went Navy... :oops:

27 Countries, 10 years of Sea Duty, 3 Ships.

US Navy Retired :lol:

AL

HandTurnedMaple
02-20-2007, 08:53 PM
That's funny. I spent 5 years in USAF. Left for 4 years, then tried to join the Navy OSVet. (Hard to reenlist when you're already on a 30% VA compensation.)

pkunk
02-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, this thread has deterioated badly enough that I say that I was an Army Cobra Crew chief in VN 65-66. Before that, was in Germany defending the Berlin wall. We had some 504th Maintainance at our airfield in Vinh Long.

cajunpen
02-20-2007, 09:37 PM
OK, we are all showing our age here. U S Navy Corpsman (1964-1968) almost 40 years and still lots of bad memories, but I still function and carve :D

Kenm810
02-21-2007, 12:22 PM
I guess I could chime in along those lines – US Army Corpsman ( 1964 to 1970 ) when I left to fly home, I heard one of guys from my unit call out “ Doc has left the building”. That has stuck with me more then any thing else, from that time to this. That’s how I got my tag line. Quite a time to remember, now a days, I have a hard time recalling what I had for Lunch. --To much snow on the roof I guess

Ken

BoardSilly
02-21-2007, 01:51 PM
MACV Stag Team

Greybeard
02-21-2007, 03:53 PM
And now for something different....Royal Signals 1959-61/Gurka Signals 1961-66 (all in Malaya)

John

revved_up
02-22-2007, 09:07 AM
U.S. Army 1985-1988 Signal Corps 1 year duty in Korea.
anybody try a carving of the V.F.W. logo or of the MIA symbol yet?

jspringertx
02-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I'll bet I am the ONLY one that served in the US Army as a DUKW driver. I doubt if anyone has carved a DUKW, but you have given me some ideas.

HandTurnedMaple
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I rode in one in the Wisconsin Dells. Does that count?

yatrgatr
02-24-2007, 10:23 PM
CIV Germany 2000-2005, Afghanistan 2005-2006

THANK YOU ALL WHO SERVE

jchilli
02-25-2007, 04:06 PM
:) I like your sign good luck with the spell check.
I was in Cam Rhan Bay in 65' through 66' then to An Kae.( can't spell check these.) USArmy Ordenance.Traveled around country a lot.Will never forget all who served.:o

Autodoc
02-26-2007, 11:18 AM
US NAVY -- 1975 - 79 USS Midway - VA-56 (The Champs) Over the years have forgotten the bad - only remember the good!!! Lots of ports, lots of women, lots of beer!!!!

Thanks to all who keep us safe and carving!

Cliff
02-26-2007, 04:06 PM
AutoDoc

If your an old fart whats that make pkunk?

Air Force 1972 - 1993

Department of the Air Force Civilian - Current

Cliff

BobHill
02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
A younster, Cliff. Still a youngster !

Bob

pkunk
02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
AutoDoc
If your an old fart whats that make pkunk?
Cliff
I'm not old, you're as young as you feel.:) Now, I do fart.:) I try and control myself in and around people, but I've found that the big dust collector is my friend.:) :)

BobHill
02-26-2007, 05:34 PM
And thank God for air filters <g>

Bob

Kenm810
02-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Methane and sawdust - hmm - got a match - WOW

Ken

Hanna
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Nice to know I'm hangin' out with the good guys. Thank you to all of you for all you did for your Country. It did not take 9/11 for some of us to appreciate you all.

MAX COX
02-26-2007, 09:05 PM
I will add my name to the list of veterans also. 9th INF.DIV. Viet Nam / 66-67
also thanks to each and all.

Sarge
02-26-2007, 09:29 PM
As far as that goes...... MOST of you are older than I. For my two cents, US Army RETIRED (Retarded?) Paratrooper, Pathfinder, 2 1/2 years with SF. Retired December 2000. My son is in Iraq (Army), my daughter in Korea (Air Force). Thank all of you who made it possible for me to follow your path.

AIRBORNE!!!

NOW, SOMEBODY HELP ME GET THIS DARNED THING UP AND RUNNING!!!

edzbaker
02-26-2007, 10:23 PM
ARMY 69 through 77,
If ya got gas, let it out, if you dont, it migrates up your spine to your brain,,and that is where $hitty Ideas come from.

BobHill
02-28-2007, 07:54 AM
A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa, taking her faithful, elderly poodle named Cuddles, along for the company.

One day the old poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long, Cuddles discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old poodle thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!" Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap the old poodle exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious leopard! I wonder if there are any more around here?"

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew!", says the leopard, "That was close! That old poodle nearly had me!"

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the old poodle sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up.

The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.

The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!

Now, the old poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?", but instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old poodle says...

"Where's that d@#n monkey? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!

Moral of this story....

Don't mess with old f@rts...age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Bullsh#t and brilliance only come with age and experience.

Bob

rockflier
08-25-2011, 08:59 PM
100% Disabled (Agent Orange Cancer). RVN Jun68-Sep71, 4th ID (18Z). Retired Feb88, 1SG 98G4F. I was afforded the honor of being allowed to serve my country. Thanks to all of you, and Welcome Home.

jaustin
08-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Nice job on the carves.

US Army 87-92 and didn't learn enough the first time had to try it again 94-95.
OH-58D crewchief

dltccf
08-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Love it, I'm gonna be telling this one. :-)

dave

A wealthy old lady decides to go on a photo safari in Africa, taking her faithful, elderly poodle named Cuddles, along for the company.

One day the old poodle starts chasing butterflies and before long, Cuddles discovers that he's lost. Wandering about, he notices a leopard heading rapidly in his direction with the intention of having lunch.

The old poodle thinks, "Oh, oh! I'm in deep doo-doo now!" Noticing some bones on the ground close by, he immediately settles down to chew on the bones with his back to the approaching cat. Just as the leopard is about to leap the old poodle exclaims loudly, "Boy, that was one delicious leopard! I wonder if there are any more around here?"

Hearing this, the young leopard halts his attack in mid-strike, a look of terror comes over him and he slinks away into the trees. "Whew!", says the leopard, "That was close! That old poodle nearly had me!"

Meanwhile, a monkey who had been watching the whole scene from a nearby tree, figures he can put this knowledge to good use and trade it for protection from the leopard. So off he goes, but the old poodle sees him heading after the leopard with great speed, and figures that something must be up.

The monkey soon catches up with the leopard, spills the beans and strikes a deal for himself with the leopard.

The young leopard is furious at being made a fool of and says, "Here, monkey, hop on my back and see what's going to happen to that conniving canine!

Now, the old poodle sees the leopard coming with the monkey on his back and thinks, "What am I going to do now?", but instead of running, the dog sits down with his back to his attackers, pretending he hasn't seen them yet, and just when they get close enough to hear, the old poodle says...

"Where's that d@#n monkey? I sent him off an hour ago to bring me another leopard!

Moral of this story....

Don't mess with old f@rts...age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Bullsh#t and brilliance only come with age and experience.

Bob

b.sumner47
08-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Isn't that truth, age has it's benny's. Capt Barry

rockflier
08-26-2011, 07:41 PM
U.S. Army 1985-1988 Signal Corps 1 year duty in Korea.
anybody try a carving of the V.F.W. logo or of the MIA symbol yet?
Try this one for MIA/POW.

DickB
08-26-2011, 08:13 PM
Cool plane. A carved fuselage would be a great enhancement.

c6craig
08-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Looking good, great to hear you are enjoying the machine!

Craig

dcalvin4
08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh what the hell ill admit my age too
Anyboby get drafted with me in 1968?
I was a 2 year draftee and served in Qui Nhon VN March 1969 to Feb 1970
got one testical shot off [ j u s t k i d d i n g ]
anyway anybody else get drafted?
denny

Just remember War times are the best time to make rank and thats why we have wars so the war mongers can make rank and make a higher pay scale

jaroot
08-27-2011, 08:02 PM
anyway anybody else get drafted?

Missed it by thaaat much! They ended the draft in Dec of 72 and I turned 18 the following Feb.

Ducky63
08-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi dcalvin4, I got drafted only before you. I was drafted in Feb. 1966 & signed up for another year so I came out Feb. 28, 1969. I was in VN Aug. 1966 to Aug. 1967. I was in the First Air Calvary at An Kia VN. Then went to Fort Riley, Kansas with the Big Red 1 for the last 1 1/2 years. I should of said also that I graduated from High School in May, 1965. Thank You for your Service for our Country. Ducky63

geekviking
08-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Thank you ALL for your service to our country!
My freedom means alot to me!

Jcpb321
08-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Since some are telling their age I won't feel so young!

There were some good times while serving along with the bad ones, US Army Corps of Engineers 1959 - 1967, visited Camp Casey Korea in 59, Berlin Brigade 61-64, Nam 66-67 attached to 4th Inf Div, 8 years, 1 month and 1 day!

Oh the equipment they have now, wow! But then look at the old movies of what they had during WW1 & 2 and we had it pretty good!

Thanks to all branches of servicemen and women for your service!

Icutone2
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
ARMY 77 to 82 Ft Sill.
Lee