PDA

View Full Version : FEB 2014 Project of the Month - Watching The Clock!

mtylerfl
01-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Hello,

This project is for all you “clock watchers” out there! Vintage style eyeglasses and eyes for one (or even two) clocks, will watch over the time for you! The MPC project file has one eye iris cut out for mounting a 2.5" round clock insert, by default. However, you can apply a Cut Path to the other iris and mount a second clock for monitoring the time in a different Time Zone, if desired!

All components are arranged, carved and cut out from a single board. The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The completed project is about is about 20" long x 6.5" tall x .75" thick.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Watching-the-Clock.mpc

2) Board with the following dimensions: 0.75" x 9" x 27"
(Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig.)

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) 2.5" round clock insert & battery
(I used model #15686 from www.klockit.com (http://www.klockit.com))

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my "Watching The Clock!" project made from Select Pine:
• Two coats of thinned Zinsser Bulls Eye Seal Coat
(50% denatured alcohol and 50% Seal Coat), sanding after each coat
• Two light coats Zinsser Bulls Eye spray Shellac

NOTE: I decided after this write-up, I will also apply a darker contrasting stain/glaze to accent the details some more, then finish with some light coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic spray for final topcoat.

Bigtyme
01-26-2014, 09:35 AM
Well done, Michael. Very interesting project....I will certainly keep an eye out for it :) ....

ladjr
01-26-2014, 02:42 PM
Nice project. Did you consider a temperature gage in other lense

dbemus
01-26-2014, 02:49 PM
The eyes have it! Nice project as always Michael. Second eye could be a barometer or hygrometer.

mtylerfl
01-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Thank you! My wife did make the suggestion for a barometer in one "eye". The other two items you suggested would be great, as well!

Keep the ideas coming!