PDA

View Full Version : Blank screen when I turn it on.

Shacky
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Hi, everyone!

I do seasonal work so my machine sometimes sits for several months before I get back to it. That is the case now. I cleaned and lubricated it and turned it on and nothing happened. I made sure the power source was good and it is. I notice that when I turn it on the lcd screen turns to black blocks on the top row. I tried to adjust the contrast and it does adjust but doesn't change the fact that turning it on turns the top row to black blocks when it was blank.

There is no movement of the mechanism at all. Is this machine dead in the water or is there something I can do?

Thanks!

CNC Carver
01-21-2014, 11:52 AM
Put your card in the machine. Black blocks is when no card or card is not read in carvewright. You may need to reformat card when attached to pc.

Shacky
01-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Yep. I just came back to the forum to post that I forgot that the machine won't start up without a card in it. As I mentioned, it's been several months since I was able to spend time in my workshop. I would delete this post with a red face, but will leave it as it may help someone else. Thanks for the quick reply!

lynnfrwd
01-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Yep. I just came back to the forum to post that I forgot that the machine won't start up without a card in it. As I mentioned, it's been several months since I was able to spend time in my workshop. I would delete this post with a red face, but will leave it as it may help someone else. Thanks for the quick reply!

Don't feel embarrassed. Almost everyone does it at least once. This, and cranking the head up too high.

CNC Carver
01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
No problem. Only reason I know is I've done it before also. We all learn from our own mistakes better than reading about someone elses. I'm sure you will remember that next time you see the black squares. Glad it was an easy fix! :)

Digitalwoodshop
01-21-2014, 02:27 PM
I needed to change my Grid Size the other night and for the life of me, I could not find the place to do it.. I had done it before so I knew it was someplace... I did a quick search and found it in a post and answer... So even with thousands of posts... it can be found..

AL

Dale
01-21-2014, 04:32 PM
You just taught me something. When I see black blocks I'll know what it means, Thanks.

lynnfrwd
01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Black blocks don't ALWAYS mean no card.

If you see black blocks and the card IS IN THE MACHINE, first try contrast, then try reformatting the card, then check cables, then we may have a bad controller...usually zapped by static such as sticking a shopvac in while the machine is on.

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2014, 11:12 AM
AL has the Black Blocks.... Died with 15 more sheets of plastic to cut.... Was stuck on the final bit change before starting the 46th piece of plastic... Was stuck on Load the bit with no reply of the keypad any key... Rebooted and just a top row of blocks... Shut down and inserted another card... Same.... Let it cool an hour... Same.... underside of machine pulled and re inserted all the plugs... no luck...

Between bit Changes I scrubbed the rails with a brass brush and blew LP Air.... Exhaust on and machine Grounded in a few places...

I will swap the keypad and cables first tomorrow... trying to get 2 orders of tags out the door tomorrow..... More later....

Good thing I have extra machines and parts.... :).... I want to stick with this machine if possible due to calibration data.... Hopefully it is the keypad not the computer....

AL Broke in PA..... "And the Maytag Man Smiles..."

gashawk
06-29-2014, 11:41 AM
I've got the same problem (not everyone wins) thought I'd order a new card first.

Digitalwoodshop
06-29-2014, 12:54 PM
I've got the same problem (not everyone wins) thought I'd order a new card first.

I just went in and tried a 3rd card from the computer shop and the same, I have about a dozen collected over the years... Thinking Keyboard, Cable, Computer or Power Supply in that order... normally a very expensive fix with new parts...

Tag orders first on a all work day Sunday and a road trip in the Morning to see my High School Buddy who is the Director of the County 911 Center. I am going to print up some Start Up and Shut Down guides in Plastic for the Communication Trailer that fit in the back pocket as you race around jacking up the Antennas and bringing it on line.

A donation project to get pictures to add to my site. So back to the CW tomorrow night.

:) AL

scootertrash
06-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Mine wouldn't turn on the other day but my problem was due to power

Some rain water seeped into my garage and got into where my drill was plugged into an extension cord. It tripped the GFI breaker in an outlet on the same circuit but across the room. That had me scratching my head for a few panicked moments!

Digitalwoodshop
07-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Went with the "easiest" and replaced the CW Controller first and that fixed it.... I had a eBay Computer from 2008... Parts is Parts...

Back up and running.

AL

unitedcases
07-01-2014, 05:03 PM
Went with the "easiest" and replaced the CW Controller first and that fixed it.... I had a eBay Computer from 2008... Parts is Parts...

Back up and running.

AL
Easiest but most expensive.